Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-02-2014, 02:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

New 2014 Journey 34B - issues

Just picked it up last week and spent a week in it. Have a list of issues that I gave the dealer and now need to add to these to the list. Problem is I don't know if some of them are issues and if some of them I can fix myself. Being I have a electronics degree I would just assume do some of the repairs myself vs dealing with a dealer (who techs are questionable) and wait time.

1. The passenger counsel with all the switches is always illuminated. Is this always supposed to be illuminated or is there a way to turn it off. I see no need for it to light up 24/7

2. The remote steering wheel audio controls don't work. Put new batteries in it and it worked for about 10 seconds. Replaced them and same results. Works right aways but as soon as I hit the road nothing happens.

3. R/L/Rear cameras all of the sudden just went dead on last day of trip. I got it narrowed down to a camera control module. Anyone ever deal with this issue

4. Rand McNally GPS stopped working, askes to insert SD card. I will admit I ejected the card while the GPS was running and think that I may have corrupted a file on the SD car.

5. Powerline - Seems when generator is running or hooked to 50A service only L2 shows 120VAC, L1 is always at zero. When hooked to 20 or 30 amp I donot get the option to tell it 30/20 amp. I think its because it is wired wrong or L1 is not getting voltage thru the x-fer switch. Any thoughts.

These are my biggest issues. I got a lot of minor silly things as well but would love to get these resolved ASAP.
zman-az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:29 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
Seems to me that if this is a new coach under warranty, it would be in your best interest to have the dealer do the work. You don't want to get into a battle later if Winnebago claims that your repairs caused further damage and they won't support you.

Good Luck
W8RLM - Bob
Old 07-02-2014, 04:41 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I agree with W8RLM. The standard factory warranty runs out all too quickly, so I would use it at every opportunity as necessary. When my motohome was still under warranty, I let some small stuff slide and didn't take it in, figuring that if something else came up shortly after the warranty period expired the dealer and Winnebago would help me out. Wrong!

Take advantage of that warranty while it's in effect because when it runs out, you might find out that both your dealer and Winnebago will tell you that 'your warranty has run out and there is nothing we can do. Please make that repair check out to...'
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:19 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

If you get an answer to the steering wheel control problem, I would love to hear it.
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:42 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

You can probably fix item 4 with an on line down load from them. Worth a try and no tracks left behind.

In general if you can fix it without parts and/or leaving tracks it is simpler than dealing with anyone else. Once parts are involved or one starts leaving tracks then think dealer warranty.

FWIW #1 may just be understanding and something to mod later. #2 & #3 sound like parts so dealer. #5 sounds like it might be a loose connection so trace the power and check the wires with the unit disconnected. If nothing is loose then it's parts and a dealer item.

I would tell them what I found that did not involve digging into places they might consider tampering.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:53 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

The power line thing was because I had the circuit breaker turned off for the dryer (it blows the breaker and dealer is addressing). Found that out by seeing other posts here on the forum. Unplug drier and turned on breaker and power line now works properly.

As far as no1. Do other 2014 journey/meridian owners see the same thing, that is the pass side switches are always illuminated and never turn off.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:30 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Zman-AZ, I also have a 2014 34B and the passenger console lights are on but I'm thinking that if i turn off the coach battery switch on the console, they'll probably go off. I'm not at my coach right now or I'd try it and let you know. Of course when you do that, it opens up another can of worms.

Dennis (Retired USAF & UPS) & Linda (Retired UPS)
2014 Winnebago Journey 34B and homes in Anchorage AK & Bullhead City AZ
djc454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 04:57 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman-az View Post

As far as no1. Do other 2014 journey/meridian owners see the same thing, that is the pass side switches are always illuminated and never turn off.
Yes, the PS console lights are always on in my 34B.
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:12 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the verification on those ps lights.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:43 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Ok got a few things narrowed down.

1. seems they all do it
2. there is a headphone jack connection at the bottom of the steering wheel column and it came loose, reconnected and works fine. the steering wheel controls are IR, so when they sometimes work its because it is getting its signal to the front of the radio IR sensor. You probably are not sitting in the seat or have the wheel cocked to the left to get it to line up just right. Winnie put a IR sensor at the base of the steering column and that is the sensor that picks up the controls when driving.
3. Winnie gave me the 800 number for the people that support the radio. What an awesome company, they guy worked with me and also determined that my thoughts were correct.
4. Same guy/company also helped me troubleshoot the Rand McNally. There is a website to visit that you can get lifetime updates to the GPS and troubleshoot bad files on the SD card, the site found problems but SD card still does not work. The company is going to send me a new SD card and the module for me to swap out and should get in a few days, all under warranty. This will save me a day (or weeks) of visiting the RV dealer and from $60-$120 in fuel as there is no dealer nearby and it may require 2 trips.
5. Powerline - talked to them and I had a breaker off. Even though nothing was connected to it it had to be on for the powerline to work properly.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:33 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Interesting

I have the same problem with my steering wheel IR controls. Where exactly is this connection/Jack that you said was loose?

Can you share the 800 number for that radio support?

Thanks, and best of luck going forward.
KoolBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:31 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Remember, this is for the 2014 journey meridian. Not sure about other years or models.
River park inc
1-800-442-7717

This company does not provide the ir sensor so they will not do anything about it. If you can turn your wheel so the bottom of the steering wheel controls face the infotainment center and the volume changes odds are the ir sensor is not connected or bad. This would have to be delt with from Winnie. The ir sensor is obvious when you look down the steering column, it's a black button shape. Feel up the back side of the column and look for the wire. When you find it follow it out the column and the connection should be just inside or a few inches out. The connection looks like a head phone jack. If it's not connected look around for the other half, odds are it's tucked up the dash somewhere. It was as easy a plugging the two parts togather
Old 07-14-2014, 07:09 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Got new part in and now have rear camera. Nice to see the toad again.

Also found issue with gps. Seems a connector came loose to the sd card holder. Snapped back in and all is good.

Tags
journey