Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2006, 05:51 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Well, after lurking around and reading here for a some time, we finally pulled the trigger and have purchased a 2006 Journey 36G. We have our PDI scheduled for the 20th of this month. Thanks to all of the information posted here by all of you, even though this is our first RV, I felt that I was pretty well informed about how to go about buying the RV and how much to pay and what to make sure was in the vehicle.

I have told a number of other folks about the wealth of information here, and hopefully someday I can contribute some good info as well.

Since we did our deal on Monday night, I have started thinking about the things I will need to consider adding on - so far the main ones are a water pressure regulator valve for the water supply, maybe a Trik-L-Start to keep the engine battery charged, and an electrical surge protector.

Anyone have some good links to any such lists?

Again, thanks to all for the time you spend here, I am sure there are a lot of other folks like me who read what you post and find it extremely helpful.

Clayton
2006 Journey 36G
CAT 350
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 05:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Well, after lurking around and reading here for a some time, we finally pulled the trigger and have purchased a 2006 Journey 36G. We have our PDI scheduled for the 20th of this month. Thanks to all of the information posted here by all of you, even though this is our first RV, I felt that I was pretty well informed about how to go about buying the RV and how much to pay and what to make sure was in the vehicle.

I have told a number of other folks about the wealth of information here, and hopefully someday I can contribute some good info as well.

Since we did our deal on Monday night, I have started thinking about the things I will need to consider adding on - so far the main ones are a water pressure regulator valve for the water supply, maybe a Trik-L-Start to keep the engine battery charged, and an electrical surge protector.

Anyone have some good links to any such lists?

Again, thanks to all for the time you spend here, I am sure there are a lot of other folks like me who read what you post and find it extremely helpful.

Clayton
2006 Journey 36G
CAT 350
Old 03-08-2006, 06:00 PM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

CONGRATS Clayton!!!

Top of this page is a link to rvupgrades, an iRV2.com sponsor....Support those that support us!

Welcome to a "Winnebago Owners" family!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 01:34 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Congratulations, you have mentioned the most important ones. Get a larger full flow Watts water regulator, the smaller ones are a joke..The Surge Protector is a must and CW sells what I bought. I hard wired mine and it was part of the deal from the dealer...Good and Safe miles and have fun...
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 03:09 AM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

HERE is a link to the "electrical protection" page of rvupgrades,where I purchased the 50A portable model. It even has a hasp attached to secure it to the power pedestal. This page has both the 30A and 50A models.

I recommend it!
Old 03-09-2006, 03:21 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

It's my understanding that the Trick-l-Start is now standard on the 2006 Journey's. Check with your dealer during your pdi.

Paul
ppeter313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 03:30 AM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

2006 Winnebago Journey Specs

Under "Systems" there's the "Battery Charge Control Automatic Dual"...

Can you say "Trik-L-Start" ?

Good catch Paul...
Old 03-09-2006, 04:08 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Congratulations Clayton. Very nice choice. We wish you many safe and enjoyable trips
Old 03-09-2006, 04:15 AM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

Clayton, I did look through some of my links and came across THIS LINK to a pre-trip packing list....It's at least something to "work" with...

You will find that although there are a lot of these lists "out there", you'll still want to tweak them to your own environment...
Old 03-09-2006, 08:42 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

no more dead batterys on the 2006 winne.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:53 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I have been thinking some more about add on items.

I was looking into adding the side view cameras and I read John Canfield's web site regarding the addition on his coach. Any one else add them? My dealer says the parts are approximately $1,089, so with tax and labor it would cost about $1,590. The are about a $475 option if ordered with coach.

Camping world has the whole system (two side view camers, plus monitor, etc.) on sale for $799 plus installation. Wouldn't I only need to add the one or two side cameras, or does the system need a new switching board also to have the camera come on when the turn signal is used?
Old 03-09-2006, 11:32 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I looked up and printed out the wiring diagram for the Journey and it actually shows a Trik-L-Start on the wiring diagram, labeled as Charger - Battery/Chassis, 156431-01-000. I'll be able to get in the RV on Saturday and I will look to confirm.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:52 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> 2006 Winnebago Journey Specs

Under "Systems" there's the "Battery Charge Control Automatic Dual"...

Can you say "Trik-L-Start" ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The above does not indicate a Trik-L-Start. It indicates that both sets of batteries will be charged by the alternator.

"Battery Charge Control Automatic Dual" is in the specs for the 2004 and 2005 Vectra model years and Trik-L-Starts were not installed in those years. "Battery Charge Control Automatic Dual" was also shown in the specs for the '02 and '03 Journeys.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 11:58 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Congrats on the new arrival. We have had our Journey (36G) for a year now and simply love it.
jtharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 12:13 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

We took delivery of our Journey 34H on Dec 31, 2005. Did a thourough pre-acceptance inspection and found very few problems. Have been having a great time with it ever since. You will undoubtedly love yours as well!

FYI, the Trik-L-Start unit is located under the "hood" in the generator area. You'll have to take off the fuse cover, and you will see it installed right there.

On ours, the Icemaker and the automatic satellite dish were INOP at delivery. They were promptly fixed afterwards tho... And I did find chips in the windshield (they repaired them). And there was a pinched wire in the driver side porch light that cause it not to work, and actually pop the circuit breaker when its switch was turned on. Other than that, we were good to go.

Good luck with yours!

Steve

1997 Honda Civic TOAD
Tweke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 12:17 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

CWHTRAINS,

Side cameras - I am sure you will find a ton of people that will scoff at side cameras but IMHO they are great. My Ellipse did not come with them so I added them myself.

RV Cams

Check their systems.

I suspect you have a Voyager BW monitor system and I doubt it will support 3 cameras. If your monitor will support multiple cameras - great - you are a step ahead.

Talk to the people at RVCAMS.com. Let them know which monitor you have (model no.) and they will tell you what you need.

I wanted to upgrade to a color monitor. They sent me one and we tried it but it would not fit in the dash and fill the monitor hole such that it looked like it should be there. It left to big a gap at the top and bottom. They took it back and sent me a BW Voyager monitor that was an exact fit and would support multiple cameras. They sent me the side cameras and whatever I needed except labor. It took me about 2 hours to replace the rear camera (I went to the tilting camera) and the side cameras. Now this is after a lot of hours planning where I was going to drill the holes for the side cameras .

On my first trip I feel like the side cameras paid for themselves. It made manuvering around in heavy Interstate traffic in a city much easier and much more comfortable. I doubt I would have another motorhome without side cameras.

Good luck and if you are handy enough to install a car radio you can do this mod. It's really not that hard.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
AdrianLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 10:20 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

We have the side cameras, but I wish they were color. I think the rear camera and monitor (Sony) on our 'old' Suncruiser were a lot better (contrast etc). Maybe they can be upgraded??
boulderado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 10:30 AM   #18
Administrator Emeritus

While color would be nice,just not hitting something in the blind spot works for me...