Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-03-2021, 08:12 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

need to replace Serta coil springs mattress

Our new to us 2008 Sightseer has a Serta mattress with coil springs that is worn out. Has anyone replaced theirs with another coil springs mattress they like and if so where did you buy a short queen? My husband likes the support of coil springs so would probably add a good memory foam topper to soften it up a bit for me.

Phyllis
dennysbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:51 AM   #2
Site Team

The problem with coil spring mattresses is the rigid frame makes shipping a bit difficult and sometimes getting the mattress into or out of the RV can be difficult. If it won't fit through a door or turn a corner to get to the door then a big window would need to be removed.

This is why most RV mattresses are foam or air mattresses.

We live near San Antonio and like a great many cities we have a custom mattress manufacturer here in town. This really used to be the way people bought mattresses in the "old days." This makes it easy to custom order a mattress of any shape and size for RVs and boats. For a previous RV we ordered a custom Short Queen locally from our mattress manufacturer and got to pick the materials, the number of coils, and topper. They delivered the new mattress to our RV and took away the old one.

You're in Southern California and I'd think that there would be dozens of such manufacturers around the Southland. But when I search via Google I only found one. https://customcomfortmattress.com/. Their nearest storefront is in Brea.

There are many online custom RV mattress companies and the largest is probably Mattress Insider: https://www.mattressinsider.com/ - but I think they only sell foam mattresses.
Old 12-04-2021, 08:01 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the suggestions
Old 12-23-2021, 08:54 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We've decided to order Costco's Comfort Tech 10" Serene Foam. I wasn't aware they had a short queen online. It's the same thing as Camping World's Comfort Zone 10" Elite but Costco is $100 cheaper and they have a money back guarantee without having to compress the foam mattress back into the box which I'm assuming would be impossible. I'll post an update on the comfort level after we use it for a while. Thanks everyone!
Old 02-12-2022, 09:46 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennysbabe View Post
We've decided to order Costco's Comfort Tech 10" Serene Foam. I wasn't aware they had a short queen online. It's the same thing as Camping World's Comfort Zone 10" Elite but Costco is $100 cheaper and they have a money back guarantee without having to compress the foam mattress back into the box which I'm assuming would be impossible. I'll post an update on the comfort level after we use it for a while. Thanks everyone!
Well the 10" ended up being too firm so we returned it to Costco (great return process too). I spoke to the engineering department at Carpenter who manufactures the Serene foam mattresses and decided to go with Camping World's 8" Comfort Zone Serene Foam Essential mattress. It's supposed to be a medium-soft so hopefully it will be good because Camping World doesn't allow returns. The 10" was too tall to add a topper without a ladder to get into bed but the 8" should provide that option if needed. I'll update after we get a chance to try it for a few weeks.
Old 03-03-2022, 09:53 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennysbabe View Post
Well the 10" ended up being too firm so we returned it to Costco (great return process too). I spoke to the engineering department at Carpenter who manufactures the Serene foam mattresses and decided to go with Camping World's 8" Comfort Zone Serene Foam Essential mattress. It's supposed to be a medium-soft so hopefully it will be good because Camping World doesn't allow returns. The 10" was too tall to add a topper without a ladder to get into bed but the 8" should provide that option if needed. I'll update after we get a chance to try it for a few weeks.

Do you like the comfort and quality of the 8” comfort zone mattress from camping world? Is it as heavy weight wise as the one from Costco? After 8 months on the road and 4 months of saying we need to get a better bed… we need to get a better bed. We’ve checked out the Costco ones but they seemed very heavy. Went to a custom builder in CT but it would take 2 weeks. We can’t order one as we don’t stay in one spot for more than 2-3 nights and we rarely know where we’re gonna end up. Sleep well, goodnight!
Cake sniffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 07:26 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake sniffer View Post
Do you like the comfort and quality of the 8” comfort zone mattress from camping world? Is it as heavy weight wise as the one from Costco? After 8 months on the road and 4 months of saying we need to get a better bed… we need to get a better bed. We’ve checked out the Costco ones but they seemed very heavy. Went to a custom builder in CT but it would take 2 weeks. We can’t order one as we don’t stay in one spot for more than 2-3 nights and we rarely know where we’re gonna end up. Sleep well, goodnight!
Unfortunately we haven't had the opportunity to go camping and use our new mattress yet so can't vouch for the comfort. We laid on it for a short time and my husband likes it. I think it might need a 1-2" of topper for my liking so I guess it's a matter of preference. As for the weight, it's obviously quite a bit lighter than the 10" we had from Costco. I think we're going to be happy with it for the amount of use we'll be giving it. Happy travels and be safe!
Old 07-05-2022, 01:40 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Well we finally got a chance to try the mattress. After 3 or 4 nights we decided to add a 2" topper and after 3 weeks of use decided it's going to work for us. It's firm enough for support yet the topper softens it enough to make it comfortable. We are very satisfied.

Tags
ace, replace