Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2014, 08:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Need satisfaction thoughts on 35 ft Sightseer.

Wife and I are looking at 35 ft model G Sightseer and any owners want to post pros and cons? Weird tilt up bed may be a concern. Second concern is large slide with kitchen. Third concern is handling on road and suspension, squirrely or white knuckle driving.
Mrfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:43 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Are there any Sightseerer owners out there? No answers to question about owners experiences-happy, sad, glad or mad! What about Vista owners, similiar coach. The adventurer is definately a step up.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Looking at it as 35k cheaper option to 38Q but DW not sold on setting up table to eat vs. watching tv/work. Also even w/Price diference consideration just can't convince her yet.
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:30 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I had a 31' 2007 sightseer and was very happy with it. Wish I would have kept it.
ProPride P3 1400#Bars.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:22 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2003 sightseer 33L and love it. Like any RV you need to make it yours. The steering issue like most class A they can be white knuckle but the CHF fixed that issue and installed steering stabilizer on it now its a one finger driver.The rear bed pop up we love it because it makes life so much easier to get to other things. My DW has done a lot of changes to make it hers and it keeps me off the street. I have polished and waxed the outside and everyone thinks it newer then it is. Enjoy it and you will like it.We looked at newer ones and we enjoy the one my DW picked out.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:00 PM   #6
JBP
Winnie-Wise

I have a 2014 35K Bounder Fleetwood. It has much in common with the 35 ft Sightseer. I tow a 2013 Jeep Wrangler 2 door. I usually cruse at 60 to 65 MPH. Gas mileage is very subjective but for me I get between 5.5 and 6.5 MPG. Just returned from 2300 mile swing through the West. Highest Pass was 10500 feet. It did very well. Handled cross winds well and the tow/hall really made the mountains grades going down easier.
Not as good as an exhaust brake on a diesel pusher but better than having to down shift myself.
Going up hill like all class A gas coached gets noisy in 3 gear. Most of the time you can keep it in 4th and 5th noise is not a problem there.
You can look up specifications on the Bounder and compare it to the Sightseer. Both Ford with V10. weights are the same.
I think that Winne builds a slightly better coach than Fleetwood. But the comparable Winne is several thousand dollars more. Just my opinion.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 03:27 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I would find out what type of slide mechanisms are used..

I've heard bad things about the Lippert slides.. I have Power Gear on my 2012 Sunstar 35F and glad I do.. I was at Forest City about a month ago and there was three Sightseer's getting slide issues addressed..
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 03:34 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Looking at unit with power bunk above driver and passenger area. Any comments? Would be neat for grandchildren! Looks like only large single bed instead of queen.
Old 11-26-2014, 03:44 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2003 Sightseer 30B with the Ford chassis and love it. When we put Bilstein shocks and new tires on the ride greatly improved. We will be adding a steering stabilizer system this spring.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 06:58 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2013 Winne 35G that I bought new in March 2014.
I did make a few upgrades right away to make it drive quite good now. I did the Cheap Handling Fix (CHF), rear trac bar, alignment and tire pressure adjustment. My wife drives it while towing our 05 Jeep Wrangler with no issues.
We have had a number of warrenty issues and still have a couple left to get it completely sorted out.
I do have a slide issue with the drivers side kitchen slide. It hangs up when it is almost fully extended. I do not know the brand but it is the type that tilts back and drops down to make a flush floor.
We like the stow away table but also have a couple of TV trays that we store under the sink. I really like the XLG Tv that is directly across from the U shaped couch. The couch is long enough to lay down on completely stretched out.
It is very roomy and we really love the layout. The king bed was a big seller for us and we like the reclining feature for reading in bed.
Ours has the fireplace that we thought was stupid but turns out we use it all the time. Same goes for the washer dryer. We are part timers but have put 9,000 miles on it since March.
Overall we are happy with the basic construction, fit and finish. Buying new we were aware there would be teething problems.
Very happy with the Ford V10 engine and chassis once we did the handling upgrades.
I have owned a DP and I think this is a very good option.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:09 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Rvbuzz, so many thanks for your post! This is what I was looking for, a honest user assessment. I like your phrase, teething problems. Also aware that most of the Ford F53 chassis benefit in handling from after market upgrades. What brand rear trac bar did you install? I installed the Blue Ox tiger trac bar on my Ford E450 class C and it helped a lot. I plan on doing the same to the sightseerer plus the Safe Tee Plus steering stablizer if I pull the trigger and purchase. Just wondering how many years of RV'ing I have left at 70!
Old 11-29-2014, 08:43 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Rvbuzz, what kind of gas mileage are you getting? Have you experienced any lack of torque in hills or mountains? A lot of the parks we go to are limited to 31 or 32 feet, and others are 35 foot. Any size problems? Believe it or not, locally we have several underpasses at 12 feet clearance and would have to take alternate route out of town with sightseerer. Then there are the woefully narrow older state roads 14' wide with a 8 Foot wide coach. I have slapped mirrors and tore off the rearview mirror on these crazy narrow roads with my passenger side wheel off the pavement.
enjoy the scenic routes, but there are challenges.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:07 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I had a 2007 Sightseer 30B which got 7.5 mpg. The handling was fine but not as good as a DP. The 2007 30B has a single slide with dinnet and couch (not a Lippert system). The Sightseer was a very good coach. Something I did not like was the engine downshifting on long hills and turning 6000 rpm - quite noisy. However, overall this is a very good coach.
jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:09 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2012 sightseer 30A with a full side kitchen slide. We've never had a problem with the slide itself because of the weight. The slide motor was replaced in a recall early on. I would also mention that the slide mechanism is completely different than the newer ones. Our big problem with this particular slide is the bottom wipe seal. It's never been right. As for MPG, we've never gotten better than 6.5.
ChileRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:57 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

MrFoto, I have the UltraTrac 2 from Brazels. I also installed the Bilstein steering stabilizer. That solved the last steering problem of the front end being pushed around by passing trucks. The rear tracbar really helped make it a drivable machine.
MPG is about 7.5 at 65 mph on flat ground not towing. Average 6.5 towing Jeep Wrangler or open trailer with racecar.
Having owned a DP (38 Monaco Knight with ISB Cummins) the torque is less but only slightly when the weight is taken into consideration. MPG was almost the same.
With the 5 Star tune alot of the Ford issues are handled. It is noisy when the engine spools up in 3rd gear.
Having owned a 99 Tioga 31w class C with a V10 I can say that the late generation of the V10 is dramatically better in performance than the 310hp version. The 5 speed trans with engine braking was also a big improvement.

Tags
sightseer