Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-08-2020, 08:24 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Need info re 2016 Journey 36M before buying

I'm a newbie here, so I will apologize in advance if I'm in the wrong forum or if this question has been asked and answered 100 times already. My researching skills are limited, so maybe that explains why I haven't been able to find the answer to my question.

I'm considering buying a 2016 Journey 36M. However, after reading about slide issues that seem to plague various Winnebago coaches, I'm wondering if anyone can tell me whether there seem to be frequent (or typical) issues with the slides on the 2016 Journey 36M. Also, if there are other problems which seem to have been common on that model, I would appreciate any input.

Thanks. This is a great forum and I've already learned a lot just doing the research.
Paco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 01:35 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Paco - To be honest with you, you need to be handy and willing to attempt to repair minor issues in a Class A coach. I recommend you learn how to research issues in the various forums and other Winn related information before you buy. You will find that owning an RV means you will always be challenged with minor issues.
It is highly likely that 2016 coaches have most original issues resolved by now but with age, new issues will emerge. I am not talking specifically about Winnebago coaches - rather all Class A units. If the slides are working 5 plus years after it was built - go for it. When you master the search engines on RV forums, you will open a new world of learning. Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 09:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

OP,

Possible slide out problems are not a Winnebago issue they are an RV issue no matter what brand you buy. Key to minimize the potential for problems is to have you RV level before you operate the slide(s) and then either all the way in or all the way out.

And, as bobmac mentioned you either are/become handy with tools or have some deep pockets. RV repairs are beyond expensive unless you do them yourself.

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member and supporter.
71_340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 12:49 PM   #4
'12 I.Ellipse 450 ISL

Look any mass producer of anything will have a few flawed products. The poor dude that buys the flawed product is the one that gets on the internet and, rightfully, complains about his product. Is there a Perfect product, No. Sooner or later all our rigs have problems. Some sooner than later. My rig is 8 yrs old and thank God it never had a slide issue. But I can't say:"Oh winnies don't have slide issues." Just like the guy that has a slide issue can't say:" man, winnies have slide issues." You're looking at a hell of a rig, Those Journeys are Niiice. But you need to Inspect it, if you have a savvy friend with a nice inspection check list, bring him along. Run those slides in and out 2x in 5 min intervals have him look at them as they go in and out. IF the rig has too many faults let it go. But if it has 1 or 2 problems, Negotiate the price down, or have him take it to the shop and have it fixed. I mean If I like a rig enough and it's 120K, I'll ask him to sell it to me for 110k and use 5k to have the slides fixed. But then again I don't know how you're paying for this. I pay cash for my things so that may work for me, but not for you. Anyway there are many more Journeys out there, take your time when making 100K+ investments.

Tags
journey