Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2020, 06:43 PM   #1
2003 Journey 32T

Need help with 2003 Journey 32t Cummins engine

Hi, I'm new here. The Journey is my first motorhome. I'm having a problem I hope someone can help with.

My journey has the 5.9 cummins isb engine with 129,000 miles. The problem is this. On cold start the engine fires up and runs fine. Once the engine gets up to operating temperature and is turned off and then restarted while the engine is still at operating temperature the check engine light illuminates and stays on no matter how far or long you drive it. Once the engine is stopped and allowed to cool down you can restart it and the cel will not be on.

Basically I can start the coach and drive it 30 minutes or across the country and as long as you do not cut the engine off the cel light will not come on. The minute you cut the engine off and restart it, the cel will come on and stay on until you stop and allow the engine to cool off, then once restarted no cel light. The coach runs great and all gauges etc. show normal.

Anyone experience this? I'm taking it to an independent cummins mechanic on Monday to hopefully see what is going on. Unfortunately, they work mostly on trucks and do not have a lot of experience with RV's. I have a camping world close by but have not had good luck getting them to help.

One last thing, can someone tell me where the OBD2 connection is so time is not wasted trying to find it. Thanks in advance.
alamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:53 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Welcome to the world of mysteries. Believe you are on the right track going to a Cummins guy for engine work rather than dealer.

If I read your diagrams correctly, you are basically similar to our rig. You should have an OBD under the dash to the left of your steering. Kind of tucked in high and out of sight. You should have another over your radiator accessible when you lift the grill. Both are round, nine pin, twist off cap, plastic, putty color.

I carry this OBD reader. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Works on our Journey, Camry and Ranger. There are others out there, choose your poison. Nice to be able to roll into your mechanic and be able to toss out a few codes. And cheaper than having them drag out their reader and operator.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 03:14 PM   #3
2003 Journey 32T

Thanks Terry. I'm all to familiar with mysteries. I was just hoping someone had this mystery already figured out

Thanks for the info on the diagnostic reader connector locations. I found both of them.

I know my way around a gas engine pretty well and do most of my own work fixing various problems. However, I know nothing about diesel engines other than they don't have spark plugs and you don't put gasoline in them

I was all set to buy a coach with the Ford V10 (I'm a Ford guy) but I let my brother talk me into a diesel pusher because he said I wouldn't be happy with the v10 pulling a vehicle behind. Now in my second month of ownership I'm headed to the shop. Hopefully, it is nothing major but I'm still expecting a $$$$$bill. I'll post back what is discovered.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:47 AM   #4

Before you go to the shop you should read this thread:

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ls-357867.html

And if you have a lift pump like I describe on Post #3, then maybe you just have to tighten your 3-lift pump bolts. This is after you change your fuel filters if you have not already done so.

IMO, when diagnosing problems like this you have to separate the...

A) Electrical possibilities from the...

B) Fuel delivery issues.

And if you have a CAPS injection pump I highly recommend you upgrade to a FASS or AirDog electric fuel pump. (See diagram below.)

PS
You made the right decision buying the diesel for lots of reasons that will become apparent over time. ...After you catch up on maintenance neglected by the previous owner. The V10 is a good engine, but the gas vs. diesel chassis are no comparison. And you diesel will hold it's value and give you many miles and years of pleasure (when you are not fixing it).

I hope this situation you an fix for free if you do your Forum research. You will need to access the top of your engine to get to the top of the lift pump to tighten your 3 lift pump bolts. And assuming this is your problem, you will be good to go, but I still recommend upgrading to a FASS to protect your CAPS Injection pump from early failure due to USLD fuel. ...And if you have a fuel delivery issue, installing a FASS is better money spent on this upgrade vs. spending your money on new fuel lines to the engine. I.e., if you have "flappers" in the fuel line causing a "foaming problem" the FASS pump should solve this problem, but in a different way.

PSS
For more help you should search my posts on www.IRV2.com if you have and ISC engine. What engine do you have?

Call Cummins Care at 800-CUMMINS (800) 286-6467 with your engine serial number and they will tell you what type of engine you have and what type of injection system you have. Then tell us and maybe we can help?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 FASS- CUMMINS ISC - RV Fuel Diagram (Itasca-Freightliner).jpg
Views:	114
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	175130  
Attached Images

imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 03:04 PM   #5
2003 Journey 32T

Update but still need help

Shop had coach for two weeks and never did anything or bothered to call me. I got the feeling they just didn't want to deal with it.
So I got a scan guage and found out the trouble code is the accelerator pedal position sensor or better known as TPS .

I have the engine uncovered but don't see anything that looks like the pictures of
something that would house a TPS sensor.

I have watched YouTube videos of people changing them on dodge trucks but no rv's.

If anyone could point me to where this sensor is I would greatly appreciate it.

2003 Journey 32T with cummins 5.9
Old 11-10-2020, 04:09 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

what mil codes are shown and simply find what they mean.

if no code reader stop at a tire shop w/ enuf room to leave easily and get them to read it for you.

most places will not charge but some states like calif force them to charge but now are ways around it - called engine troubleshooting or something rather than mil code readers - silly bs !!

and of course obviously related to some thermal issue somewhere but you need some direction - get the code read !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamon View Post
Hi, I'm new here. The Journey is my first motorhome. I'm having a problem I hope someone can help with.

My journey has the 5.9 cummins isb engine with 129,000 miles. The problem is this. On cold start the engine fires up and runs fine. Once the engine gets up to operating temperature and is turned off and then restarted while the engine is still at operating temperature the check engine light illuminates and stays on no matter how far or long you drive it. Once the engine is stopped and allowed to cool down you can restart it and the cel will not be on.

Basically I can start the coach and drive it 30 minutes or across the country and as long as you do not cut the engine off the cel light will not come on. The minute you cut the engine off and restart it, the cel will come on and stay on until you stop and allow the engine to cool off, then once restarted no cel light. The coach runs great and all gauges etc. show normal.

Anyone experience this? I'm taking it to an independent cummins mechanic on Monday to hopefully see what is going on. Unfortunately, they work mostly on trucks and do not have a lot of experience with RV's. I have a camping world close by but have not had good luck getting them to help.

One last thing, can someone tell me where the OBD2 connection is so time is not wasted trying to find it. Thanks in advance.
SmilingSimon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins, engine, journey, need help