Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-14-2020, 12:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question Need Additional Sleeping Space

I have a 2011 Journey Express with 2 recliners and the 2 captain chairs in the cockpit. The only sleeping we have is the king bed in the bedroom. We would like some way to sleep a couple of grandkids if they go with us without being in the middle of the floor.
Any ideas or suggestions?
Is there any way to retrofit a loft above the cockpit?
Thanks for any help.
llcrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 01:23 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

The dinette does not fold down into a bed? That is usually the place to put kids.
theSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 01:44 PM   #3
Site Team

The 2011 Journey Express 34Y Floorplan has a sofa bed. Was the 2 recliners put in by someone else, or was that an option then?

Perhaps you can replace the recliners with a sofa from someone else that's putting in theater seating? That's a super popular modification right now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 2.41.11 PM.png
Views:	75
Size:	497.3 KB
ID:	173499  
Old 05-14-2020, 03:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Sleeping space

I replaced the very uncomfortable sofa with the recliner’s and a sewing center for my wife. Most of our time is winter trips south or other long trips by ourselves. We optimized for senior comfort. It is short trips with our grandkids that we are trying to facilitate.
llcrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:17 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We always carry two twin blow up beds... just a thought. Grandkids will sleep anywhere.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:31 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Sleeping space

Exactly what Kdsgone2dogs said. Grandkids will have fun sleeping on the blow-up beds. I keep a couple of them in the basement along with a little electric pump. Keep it simple. Whatever you do, don't throw out those comfortable recliners and try to replace them with one of those gawd awful hide a beds.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:31 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Maybe something like an old Volkswagen Bus...cot over the front seats?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	299791.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	173653  
Old 05-27-2020, 09:30 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by llcrooks View Post
I replaced the very uncomfortable sofa with the recliner’s and a sewing center for my wife. Most of our time is winter trips south or other long trips by ourselves. We optimized for senior comfort. It is short trips with our grandkids that we are trying to facilitate.

Did you also remove the Dinette sleeping? When you start removing the multi-function items you do limit yourselves. I'm going to take it that you did not get the recliners that go totally flat into beds like some of the recliner/sofa's do to maintain the sleeping positions. If the dinette remains are you adverse to using that for the grandchildren?

Of course if you eliminated all the belted riding positions sleeping more than two people is a bit of a moot point if you now only have the two approved belted riding positions in the cockpit remaining.
Old 06-02-2020, 07:07 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I just ordered the disc-o-bed xl from Costco. They are on sale for $249 plus tax free shipping. They have a small size and a xxl size on the disc-o-bed site. Costco only selling the XL size.
TallTex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace