Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2007, 12:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

99 Adventurer 34V - In crawling around under the dasboard this weekend, I found two rocker switches connected to the wiring harness, but hanging loose, to the left of the steering column. These are momentary rocker switches of different design than on the dash board.
One is labeled "Eng Idle incr/decr." The other labeled "Check Eng. Light." I have not seen anything in my brief review of the electrical diagrams that explain these switches. Interesting that if they are functional, they are not mounted in one of the three or four blanks I have on the dash board. Since they are part of the wiring harness, I do not thingk that they are "after market."
Any ideas??
Old 09-24-2007, 12:05 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

99 Adventurer 34V - In crawling around under the dasboard this weekend, I found two rocker switches connected to the wiring harness, but hanging loose, to the left of the steering column. These are momentary rocker switches of different design than on the dash board.
One is labeled "Eng Idle incr/decr." The other labeled "Check Eng. Light." I have not seen anything in my brief review of the electrical diagrams that explain these switches. Interesting that if they are functional, they are not mounted in one of the three or four blanks I have on the dash board. Since they are part of the wiring harness, I do not thingk that they are "after market."
Any ideas??
Old 09-24-2007, 12:33 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

How about going to the Winn. wireing & plumbing diagram site site. Pull up the wireing diagram for your MH.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:21 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mickey53usa:
Any ideas?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are they part of the harness or part of a tool left plugged into the diagnostic port on the harness? Could have been left behind last time the coach was serviced for a check engine light or low idle problem.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:04 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

NeilV might have the answer. I had a 99 35C and never ran across anything like that...Two options..1. Call Winnie. 2. Pm Don in Savannah Georgia, he has a 99 35C, and knows every inch of his coach...Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 03:01 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I have seen these on trucks before, especially early Cummins electronic equipped.

ENG IDLE INCR/DECR is to set you 'High Idle'-- when stopped, with engine idling and brake set, trip the switch up or down, and you should see your RPM increase or decrease. With a diesel, you don't want to low RPM idle the engine long, it leads to some major engine problems such as 'Wet Slacking' and if in a cold climate, the engine will not stay warm if only idling at 5 or 600 RPMs. This switch allows you to idle at the recommended 1000 RPM if needed.

The Check Eng Light will put the ECM into diagnostic mode, and will also enable an override for "Limp Mode" if you engine decides it needs to shut down.

Strange that they are not mounted, but they should be part of the engine wire harness. If you can't find literature about them, I would try calling a Cummins repair facility to get the exact instructions on how they operate.

John

John (N9MXX) & Derek (KC9KEM)
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 03:51 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks ya'll,

rvten; I have the wiring diagrams, but have not had time to examine in detail. A quick look does not provide the answer.

NeilV; Look like they are part of the harness. Switches have a moulded plug on the back, wiring disappears up behind the dash. Will try and examine it more this weekend.

ichn2go; I know there are a couple other 34V owners on this forum - probably place on RV.Net also.

Moder2; I have been using the Cruise control for the "high" idle, as directed by the salesman. Would think that they would mount the switches if they wanted the operator to use them.

Might shoot an email to Winnebago and see if they can provide any info. Maybe Freightliner also.

Maybe another 34V owner out there has the answer.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:32 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Well thanks to fellow 34V owner George Ball, I have part of my answer. George's 34V also has the same switches. He got his Cummins book out and found, "went and got my book and the info I refer to starts on page 1-67. The one I have was printed 3/98 and I know some of the things referred to in it are not accurate (warranty for example).. What I do see though on page 1-68 is a picture of the cruise control and the idle speed adjust as being on the dash (maybe a school bus?). The diagnostic switch is likewise shown on page 1-70."
The question now is why wern't the switches mounted and "made" usable.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:23 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I have the same thing.
Did you ever find out anything more.

Thanks Don and Barb

https://irv2.com/photopost/data/2/1029VAC_2004_4_139-thumb.jpg
Tcloud7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:51 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I have not tried to use the switches. Good informationin some of responses.