Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2021, 06:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

My Turn.

Got done with the GNR 2 weeks ago and stayed around Forest City to get work done Litchinn's RV and then headed to a truck museum that was a harvest host.

We got on the road at 9:00 and at 10:50 this fool pulls on in front of me from a side road, trying to cross in front of us. Didn't make it as I caught his truck in the rear panel. Saw him stop at sign then go across in front of me, standing on the brakes and air horn. Got it on dash camera. Middle of the county in Iowa. Sherriff shows in about 15 minutes with rescue and everyone was ok. Got on the phone with insurance and had RV towed back to Winnebago for repair. Will have to wait till Monday, but we're safe and will fine out how long we'll be down.

Summer looks shot and will start canceling reservations Monday. Tow car is all good so we have it to drive it home. Cop viewed dash cam and it did show him crossing in front of us with horn sounding.

Get a dash cam folks, lots of fools out there. Might show it was their fault.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1434.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	620.2 KB
ID:	180494   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1436.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	180495  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1448.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	507.7 KB
ID:	180496   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1462.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	348.7 KB
ID:	180497  

deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 08:18 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

So sorry for your mishap, and it is so terrible that people don't understand not to argue with big vehicles. Glad no one was hurt. Lots of luck on the repairs being done quickly.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 11:13 PM   #3
Site Team

Glad you got though that with no injuries! I agree on dash cams! We’ve caught some crazy driving on camera with ours. Wishing you the best in your repairs.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 04:51 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

You're so fortunate that no one was hurt and if it had to happen, what better place than within tow distance of Winnebago?
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 07:03 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks to all of you. We are sore this morning ,and will be taking wife in to be checked. Says her ribs hurt, from seat belt ? Cap is same as todays production Forza ,so cap should be here,just need to match paint . Metal holding it will have to be replaced as that took most of impack ,but frame ,a/c ,gen seam to be ok. Going forward Monday morning. Thanks again.
Old 08-08-2021, 07:32 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Hope nothing is broken in the rib cage. The trauma of the force of impact discombobulates the internal organs and can cause sever pain in some cases. Prayers with y'all.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 08:37 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

that road looks familiar.what county were you in.
catmandoo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 08:41 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Buena Vista M27 and highway 3
Old 08-08-2021, 09:50 AM   #9
Site Team

Ugh, so sorry for your unfortunate experience.

I think repair at WBGO is brilliant! They have the parts and the knowledge to make it good as, if not better than new. Plus, I think it will be cheaper than some third party. Sure that saves the insurance company but that's OK, perhaps it will make things cheaper overall.

I rotated your images for you.

Here's a hint. The phone has a chip inside that rotates the screen image to look upright... even when the photo is taken at an angle. See, your photos were actually were taken sideways. The phone was vertical when the photos were taken... which is sideways.

In a case like this where the photos are in the phone and taken vertical you can "fix" that by bringing up the photo on the phone and taking a screenshot of the screen. The resulting screenshot photo will then be displayed on forums in the vertical aspect.

When taking the photo - I know this was a spur of the moment during an accident scene but for future knowledge - turn the phone horizontal. BUT make sure the volume buttons are pointing down, home button to the right.

If you take photos with your phone as described above the images will always copy and display in the correct aspect ratio.
Old 08-08-2021, 10:50 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

sure that wasn't m27 and highway 7.highway 3 doesn't have railroad tracks.i was born and raised in b.v. county and now live just west in cherokee county.that corner has i'ts fair share of accidents.alot of people from omaha use m27 to get up to okoboji.thurs and fridays its a pretty busy county road.
Old 08-08-2021, 01:01 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Thanks creativepart for the tip and correcting pic's. Catmandoo62 Yes you are right highway 7. Cop said same thing about the area. Thought I was in the middle of farm county,but instead I'm in in the dam crossroads of hell.
Old 08-08-2021, 01:39 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

bout 15 miles west of ya yesterday on the north side of cherokee at the intersection of 3 and 59 a pickup t-boned a jeep.that intersection is a 4 way stop with rumble strips and flashing red lights and people still don't stop.i have almost been hit there more times then i care to think about.i just do not know why people seem to be in such a hurry anymore.jeez can't wait 5 seconds til you get past the intersection.one reason i bought a winnie is because it is built close by.i just wish they would bring back the surplus store.man i miss that place.
Old 08-08-2021, 03:54 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Up date:::: Wife is fine,no cracked ribs on x-ray. Just sore when she laughs or coughs. We are the " WHAT HAPPEN" here at the service center. Told the story several times. Now I just say I hit someone it a dodge pickup playing squirrel.Several forks here for repairs Monday so we will get over there at 9:00 to let everyone get in .Went over to the rally grounds and they are open,so might stay there if we have to be here for sometime. Don't want to drive it home, can't no lights , Don't what to drive home,1500 miles, so we'll just stay for awhile and see what happens and for how long it will be .
Old 08-09-2021, 12:29 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

UP DATE;;; Talked to adjuster and Winnebago service. Going to need them to put a plan of action together this week. Gave statement to adjuster and said not to worry . We'll see. Got our card to stay here ,so we'll be in the parking lot.
Old 08-09-2021, 12:38 PM   #15
Site Team

When we were there a few years ago we went over to Mason City to see the Frank Lloyd Write bank and hotel. There's not much to do around there.

Hey, post some photos of the Journey Class A or whatever else is new. We'd love to see 'em.
Old 08-09-2021, 12:46 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Been in the area for about 2 weeks now since the rally,so we've see and done about all there is to do around here. We are planning to go to the HOBO museum an soon as we get this ball rolling. A couple of county fairs coming up,so we'll go for the tractor pulls and fresh goodies.
Old 08-09-2021, 01:31 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

if your gonna go to britt might as well go about 35 more miles west on 18 just past whittemore and go south about 8 miles on 15 to west bend and see the grotto,mason city has a frank lloyd wright house too.
Old 08-09-2021, 01:36 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Been there done that,as well as walking the art trail thru the city. Nice that they put a metal disc in front of the older homes with date and who owned it then. Real nice city. Saw the veteran art park as well, cool that he got all that junk to be art..
Old 08-09-2021, 05:31 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

BTW anyone need parts from the front of a FORZA ? Stop by and get them.
Old 08-13-2021, 07:31 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Ok winne folks, update. Been here for a week , Sat, and got to see mechcanic today. Took the coach back to bay and came back to report that they will have to get parts into a production slot, and then produce the parts ,fiberglass ,metal supports, lights and what ever they make. Then have to get parts ,metal , from freighliner, and cover from Onan.Then talks between insurance adjuster and winnebagos insurance guy. So I figure 2 weeks to get information and start thinking about putting it together, then get everything shipped here, start production of fiberglass cap and other parts, Paint cap, and then get us in line to get it fixed, then finally get the coach into a bay to get it done. My estimation is we'll be here till the end of September/ October. So we have plans to stay aboard here at the winnebago camp, go to any and all local sites, events, fairs an this weekend its the HOBO convention. So still alot of things to see and do in Iowa. Great fresh corn , people and mid -america hometowns. Want to also thank all that asked how we are doing and wanted to know what happened while we are here at the service center. Glad that we have a winnebago family that we have met here. So if you are here to get something fixed, stop by and get a look . After all this I can Only suggest that everyone get a dash-cam for the time that it may happen to you.