Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2015, 10:36 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

My door awning on my 2006 Itasca Meridian 36G won't retract.

I was retracting the awning and it made a loud noise when it was almost in and it sprung open. I had to manually push it in and tie it up to get on the road. Has anyone else had this problem and is there a fix?
Hawaii Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:35 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Mine started giving me trouble and it turned out to be debris which had collected inside the mechanism during retractions.

Best of luck

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:06 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

The repair guys are telling me That Dometic says no parts are available and the unit is obsolete. Only nine years old and looks new and it was working fine.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:03 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Awnings quit totally???

I have an 05 Meridian 36 and both my awnings have stopped all together. I hear a clicking from the awnings when trying to extend or retract. Nothing working. Anyone out there that can help me?
Thanks
Why not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:55 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I haven't resolved my problem yet. When I called Dometic with the part number from the Winnebago build list for my coach, they said the number was wrong. I'm going to try again because I may have gotten someone that was not in the know. This is likely because a guy that was going to do repairs on the awning said the number was valid but the unit was obsolete and parts are not available. Il let you know if I find anything out. At least my other awning is still working but your situation worries me.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:19 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Door awning working

Well, it's a mystery. Today walked up, hit the door awning switch....., opened right up. I jump up top deck cleaned any and all debris on anything and it's working fine.
Now I'm interested in the post about debris. My main is clicking, wind sensor "I guess " beeping when I unplug cable. Disconnected all wiring and reconnected. Beat it while pushing switch - it all. So is there a manual way to open this thing so I can check for debris?
Thanks
Why not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 06:46 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Hawaii Dick have you searched the part number on line there are some parts showing up on ebay?
Did the repair guy say what part was broke?
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:34 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I spent way too much time and money last year trying to diagnose this same issue.
Net result was the little plastic gear that opens and closes the door awning eventually wears out. if you hear click,click etc and once in a while it works that is probably the problem. Now comes the real killer, you can't buy the plastic gear, you have to buy the entire mechanism including the motor. Expensive way to fix a plastic gear.
If your main awning has failed, again the motor has probably failed . The problem here is that there are so long that they start to bow in the middle after a few years and that stresses the motor when opening and mostly closing. Many a day I wished I had the old style non motorized awning, at least then I could muscle it back if needed.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:54 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Door awning

I experienced the same problem in 2013 with the door awning on my '04 Meridian. Found the parts at Adventure RV Center (RV Parts, RV Accessories RV Supplies Priced Low)

Mine is an Oasis Awning Model 974 Series Awning. The removed part has a round shaft with an inner flat that aligns with P/N 3309007.007, Winch Motor (Index 15 in Model 974 Series Parts List)

You might need to call them - they were a big help for me.
RedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:27 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Hawaii Dick,

My 2004 Oasis Elite #974 model stripped a gear on the motor. AE/Dometic sold rebadged Italian company's awnings for my era of awnings. Fiammausa.com has diagrams for their awnings with exploded views. You can order the needed parts online or call Fiamma USA at (407) 672-0091. Dometic dealers wanted twice the price I paid Fiamma.
LPD218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:30 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Lpd218,
Thanks for the info. I will call them and try to order parts. I'll let you know if I'm successful.
Old 07-12-2015, 02:03 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I saw this happen on a friends awning. We took it apart and found that he coupling that connects the motor gearbox output shaft to the fabric roller was loose and had moved enough to disconnect the two pieces. We simply moved it back into place and re tightened it. You will have to remove and replace a couple of pop rivets to do this. Hope that's all yours is.

2002 Itasca Horizon 32TD
Roadking52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 02:10 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

what model awning do you have just replaced parts in mine it was an oasis elite made by dometic
Denny1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 06:44 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Hawaii Dick, what a coincidence, right before ours last trip ours went out by itself. The fix I was told is the clutch assembly breaks, so I ordered one from PPL.com $114 + change. Now to figure out how to replace it. The part I ordered was 3310300.000. We have a Winnie Journey 2006. Fro us it's Ok next problem!
RAYDAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:17 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I called Fiamma and the guy there walked me through my problem. Sent me photos of motors to make sure the right parts will be sent and the part was $75 plus $35 shipping. Mine is a 45i 11'. I waiting for the part to arrive in Alaska where we're spending the summer. I'll figure out how to remove and replace with the new part and report on that.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:57 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Hawaii Dick,

Great! Glad Fiamma USA could help. I got the information from an RV Forum, and it saved lots of money replacing AE/Dometic parts.
LPD218 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, door, itasca