Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2020, 08:32 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Motorhome specific insurance question

We purchased our MH last year and just added it to our existing insurance policy. it is about to renew and I wanted to do a review this time around to see if there were other companies that specialized in MH coverage. I live in MI and our auto insurance is a bit convoluted to say the least. I did a few searches on the forum and lots of people chime in with TT coverage, I'm hoping a post here will be more informative. TIA!
Old 05-17-2020, 08:55 AM   #2
Site Team

We have used Progressive for years. It has a disappearing deductible which is now at zero, and rates have been good. Weave never had a need to use it, so I can’t comment on how Progressive is to work with.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 08:59 AM   #3
Site Team

We have USAA car and home insurance. But when we got our first MH we were told they didn't offer it but could act as a broker with Progressive. That was fine for the first couple of years and we had joined FMCA (Family Motor Coach Assoc.) so we used their RV Insurance dept, which is really just another broker when we bought a new MH. USAA now is completely out of the RV insurance biz.

They put us with SAFECO because they were cheaper than the others. But after one year and no claims SAFECO raised the rates 30%. We've seen that a lot with SAFECO users. So, we had FMCA find us something better and they came up with Progressive at a much better price.

During the first year of that policy I backed a corner of the RV into a pillar and it looked like a couple thousand dollars of damage - but the repair shop charged Progressive $28,000. Progressive was great throughout the process. Acted very proactively and helped push our repair through the shop (NIRVC Dallas).

Naturally in year two our rates did go up but by less than I expected. So, we're happy with Progressive right now. In July we'll see what the year three rates are. Who knows.

We're happy with FMCA's insurance service. They're quick, they shop 3 to 5 different companies. Their rates are good and they respond very quickly to requests for quotes.

You have to be a FMCA member, but we are anyway so that's fine with us.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:32 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

What is "TT coverage."
Old 05-17-2020, 10:49 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We've had Progressive for 10 years, auto, motorhome, homeowners, and an umbrella. Have had 2 claims on the motorhome with them in that time, with a 3rd in progress now. First claim was someone hitting the rear of the motorhome on I95 in MA., 2nd was me hitting a cargo trailer in storage lot. Both handled promptly and satisfactorliy. No complaints. The current claim is for wind damage to motorhome

We have the decreasing deductible and have not had any unreasonable premium increases.

Would very highly recommend them
Romer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 11:31 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
What is "TT coverage."
Travel Trailer coverage...which will be quite a bit different than Class A coverage since it's quite a bit cheaper machine. No engine, that sort of thing.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 12:14 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Insurance is a constantly evolving/changing situation and so much depends on what you already have with other companies as well as what you want for the RV coverage. But the problems of comparing what others have is going to add lots of confusion as much of the insurance world is state specific and depends on lots of personal factors.
My wife is a former insurance person and we find it worthwhile to shop each time it comes up to see what each company has done to redo the plans.
Constant shopping can lead to constant savings but it has to figure in all the personal items as well. Some whack you severely for things like claims, DWI, tickets, etc. while others are less severe, so looking at the personal points is almost required.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 12:54 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Travel Trailer coverage...which will be quite a bit different than Class A coverage since it's quite a bit cheaper machine. No engine, that sort of thing.
And no liability coverage! It wouldn't be a substitute at all.
Old 05-17-2020, 01:48 PM   #9
Site Team

One thing we found, non-rv claims effect your RV insurance cost. Huh? It's true.

My wife never drives the RV. Never has. Unluckily she had two fender benders IN HER CAR over 5 years. Both of those have increased my RV's insurance. I guess they've increased the insurance on my car as well as hers. too. But that's to be expected.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:28 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

One of the little "secrets" that we are often not told is how much we are mislead when pricing is discussed. We are often told that free enterprise works buy setting the price as what it takes to make/acquire the product plus a bit for profit.
But how long has it been since you really saw that happen? It seems a bit silly for them to even keep teaching us that line if we think it through a bit. It takes a really simple thinker to price something that way, doesn't it?
How often do you see a car advertised as cost plus reasonable profit? If your parents die and you get their house, do you sell it for the cost of the paperwork plus a hundred or so for profit?
So insurance is sold and priced the same way. It is partly what it costs to provide the service but far more it is determined by what they find they can sell it, even if that is a huge profit. And one way to increase that profit is to constantly think of new ways to increase the price but keep the buyer thinking it is a "reasonable " profit!
My wife's experience was in high dollar liability insurance where shopping the current market was her end of the sales game.
How about the credit score? Did you know that also changes the price paid for insurance? Stats say that the person with a good credit score will be prone to paying more for insurance, so the price is a bit higher even though there is little correlation between high scores and safety from hail damage!
It's a game where the best liar wins, folks!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 04:05 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Formost insurance specializes in Motorhome insurance. They are under the umbrella of Farmers but yet separate. I know a lot has been said about USAA and they not only will to progressive as said but also Formost. Just a side note Formost also specializes in Modular home insurance, found that out trying to get regular insurance for my home.
be happy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 06:57 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

We have been using Progressive for several years now and can highly recommend them. Their prices are competitive and the handling of our MH damage claim was outstanding.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 07:38 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Insurance

I had Progressive on my class C and no issues or major rate increases. Then I upgraded to a Class A and went shopping. I switched to Good Sam's insurance without any research. Once I researched their claim experience and the number of complaints from policy holders and speaking with other RV'rs I changed to FMCA insurance. I also spoke with my local RV and glass repair shops and they suggested Good Sam is not as good as people think. They put me with Progressive and used the USAA discount and the insurance was less expensive.
I know and understand that Good Sam offers several companies but did feel comfortable after research.
k9jkfham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 04:32 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I had Progressive (via USAA) for one year; prices went up 33%, shopped around, went with Good Sam (National General to be specific) because they had about the same cost for the same coverage as Progressive, but Good Sam offers a break on the insurance if you call and out it “into storage” when parked for an extended amount of time. Estimated savings is 33% for 6 months in storage.
NOTE TO ALL: one can always call to max out the deductibles on collision when parked and then lower them when driving with any agency. It could save $100 per year, depending...
Old 05-24-2020, 04:39 PM   #15
2018 22M

Progressive for me

I am full time and Progressive has a full time policy. I've had it 2+ years with no issues. Yes disappearing deductible -and also nothing but minor premium increase. I changed all my vehicles to Progressive. I've had no claim on my RV, though totaled my 2013 Fiat TOAD recently, and was totally happy with the claims process. MORE than fair.
dnta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 06:17 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

[USAA now is completely out of the RV insurance biz.] NOT TRUE. USAA hasn't always offered RV coverage, but now does through Progressive. When we bought our class A in 2003 they did not so we went with a broker who put us with National Interstate. In 2018 they moved us to Safeco. After two years with no claims our rates had increased 58%. Since we have several cars with USAA I checked on RV rates through them. Starting in July, I will have better coverage through USAA via Progressive at just over half of Safeco's rate.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 04:50 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

If you add your motor home to your auto policy, you need to look at the limits on your towing and road service coverage. It probably has a dollar limit and probably won't cover towing to the nearest repair facility, just to the nearest place it can be safely parked. You could add a rider to your auto policy or just join one of the RV clubs that offers reasonable roadside coverage.
jbrattain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:48 AM   #18
VFW Post 8639 Okolona Ken

Be sure and see if they cover the towing bar. Found out all most all of them don't
tallmantwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 10:27 AM   #19
Dives2Little

We have had GEICO on the motorhome since we bought it (along with two 5vers and TT).We have all the cars, the house and the personal umbrella with them. If you have an umbrella, be careful about switching coverages/companies, as you have underlying requirements.

GEICO has been great with claims; totaled the TT when a bridge reached out and grabbed the right side wheels. No premium increase and premiums reduced after 5 years. They partially base the premium on the number of days used and are flexible with the deductibles, which allow you to "self insure" as much as you can stand.
Dives2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 04:36 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Have had progressive about 20 years on home 2 cars, And m.h. Totaled m.h. 2 years ago, and they were good to us.

Tags
motorhome