Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2006, 02:01 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

On my HWH jacks controller (we have the automatic level option), there is a button that can be used just to dump the air and not extend the jacks. We went through that procedure when we were testing the Howard Precision Center Steering installation for clearance while we were in the service bay.

I have read about people dumping air to squeeze under a bridge, but that was an emergency situation. I would be fearful that there would be chassis interference issues with no air in the bags. Maybe you could dump a couple of inches without problems, but more is getting very risky.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 05:26 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Strange enough, I just posted about bags airing up in response to a post about using your air compressor when your jacks are down. While I cannot address the fully automatic systems, the HWH system that came with my '05 Journey will allow you to dump air but as soon as you go in gear and roll a few inches, the air bags will begin inflating. I suspect it would not be possible to deflate and roll under some overhead obstruction unless you were able to defeat this function?

Russ

BugSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 01:30 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Thank you for the responses, John and Russ!

We're considering buying a new Journey. One of the reasons being that it has one of the lowest height profiles of any DP we've been able to research.

Again, the reason we need the low coach height is that our garage door height is just under 12' 7" ...maybe we should just say 12' 6" for simplicity purposes. With the added antennas and satellite dome, I'd suspect that the coach height will be approaching that height.

That's why I'm asking the question if I could lower the coach just long enough by dumping the air bags to maneuver the coach into the garage. Somebody once told me that dumping the air would lower the coach about 6" but he was talking about a Newmar product. He went on to say that he's done it before in his DSDP. He said he dumped the air bags, put it in gear and moved the coach into the garage without any adverse effects.

From your responses it sounds as if a Winnebago product can't do this? That once it is put into gear, the air bags start to inflate? There's no way to over-ride this for just a few minutes until the coach can be moved the distance of its length?

I'd assume that this is the function of the chassis so maybe I should rephrase the above paragraph to say that a Freightliner chassis isn't able to accomplish this but perhaps a Spartan can?

I really hope I'm not hijacking this thread. I'm just curious about coach height because of my predicament.

Thanks for any further responses.

--'rocco
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 01:39 PM   #24
Winnie-Wise

'rocco,

I think I'd give Freightliner a call and ask them before trying it. I would think there is a reason the bags inflate when you start the engine.

I know after I've dumped air there is no room for the front wheels to turn.

Doug

'05 Meridian

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 04:44 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

'rocco,

You may be correct that other chassis will allow the coach to be moved while the bags are deflated but I suspect that movement could only be in a straight line because of a lack of clearance between front wheels and body. I'll watch replys to see what develops.

CHIPPYSGT, The bags will not air on startup if the air was dumped on the previous shutdown. They will air as soon as you press the 'store' function or place the coach in gear and roll it a few inches (actually, simply placing it in gear may do the trick).

Russ

Old 04-17-2006, 06:08 PM   #26
Winnie-Wise

BugSlayer,

I'm sure you're right. I never just start her up and drive off. Sit for a few minutes and get my brain (what little I have left) into gear before driving off.

Nonetheless, unless I had screwed up and got stuck under a low overhead I would never drive with the airbags deflated. And then it would only be the minimum distance absolutely necessary and in a very straight line.

I'll have to watch mine and see when the bags do fill up.

Doug

'05 Meridian 36G
Old 04-18-2006, 06:36 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CHIPPYSGT:
'rocco,

I think I'd give Freightliner a call and ask them before trying it. I would think there is a reason the bags inflate when you start the engine.

I know after I've dumped air there is no room for the front wheels to turn.

Doug

'05 Meridian </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Doug, that's a good suggestion! And, maybe I'll also post the question over at the Freightliner forum to see if anybody over there who has the same chassis but different manufacturer, might have some experience in lowering their coach and then moving it a few feet.

When you say that there is no room for the front wheels to turn, do you mean actually turn or did you mean no room for them to rotate?

All I need to do is move the coach in a straight line the length of itself ...no turning involved.

Once I put the transmission in gear, is there enough time before the coach begins to rise an inch or two to move it 35-40 feet? If I can get it out of (or into) the garage before it rises an inch, maybe it'll work.

Thanx for your response!
Old 04-18-2006, 06:55 PM   #28
Winnebago Watcher

Specs from fleetwood give 12ft 10in on pace hope that includes kingdome.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:50 AM   #29
Winnie-Wise

'rocco,

The tires will rotate on mine, I'm sure, but I doubt seriously if I could turn left or right more than a little bit. The closest point, at a glance is the front of the tires to the fender well. When looking at the tire about the 2 o'clock position.

I think mine drops about 6 inches but I haven't measured it. It fills up pretty quickly so I don't think I'd chance trying to squeeze under a tight door. There would be too much of a pucker factor in there for me.

Does your door go all the way up? I have a garage door that doesn't go quite all the way up to the top of the door jam. Maybe that could be adjusted if it doesn't completely clear the top door jam.

Doug

'05 Meridian 36G
Old 04-19-2006, 04:48 PM   #30
Winnebago Owner

Hi Blaster, Oh man, that Fleetwood will never fit in my garage!

Hi again, Doug! I appreciate the reply. Yeah, I've adjusted the door so that it goes past the top header of the jam so it's as far as it can be raised.

Excluding the CB antenna, what other antennas are there that come standard on top of a Journey? What is that rubber-looking antenna towards the front of the coach? Is it the in-dash radio antenna? Is it flexible and rubbery enough to scrape along the length of the open garage door as to not to any damage to the door or the antenna?

TIA!

--'rocco
Old 04-19-2006, 05:45 PM   #31
Administrator Emeritus

Will have to get back on the roof and see just how much higher the CB antenna is than the Kingdome as I raised the CB antenna before leaving for Iowa.....When we got to the bridge tunnel near the house,it's listed at 13'6" and the antenna banged most of the way through...

Made for an interesting ride....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 02:07 AM   #32
Winnebago Owner

What is that rubber-looking antenna towards the front of the coach? Is it the in-dash radio antenna? Is it flexible and rubbery enough to scrape along the length of the open garage door as to not to any damage to the door or the antenna?

'rocco,

Yes. Most likely you are looking at the front in dash radio antenna. There are two additional antennas, of the same type, located further down the body and I suspect they are the outside radio and the bedroom radio. They are all mounted in such a manner that they could be run at any angle, including flat on the roof as they have a ratchet type semi-circular adjustment at the base. Once loosened, they could be adjusted and tightened and forgotten about.

Russ

Old 04-20-2006, 03:52 AM   #33
Winnebago Master

Lower for the garage if needed but for best radio reception the AM/FM rubber duckie antennas should be as vertical as possible.

Broadcast radio is polarized vertically.

If I recall correctly, to tilt the antenna you need an allen wrench.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 01:12 AM   #34
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Russ and Tom!

Do you think it would "hurt" either the antenna or the garage door if the tip of the antenna rubbed against the length of the door while coach is moving into or out of the garage?

Garage door will be in the open position so it will be parallel with the floor hence the tip of the antennas will be rubbing against the full length of the door while moving the coach in or out.

It seems like a hassle to have to go up there and lower the antennas to move the coach into the garage and then have to go back up there to "straighten" them out once I've back it out of the garage the next time I'm ready to leave. But I guess I'll have to if it comes to it.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

--'rocco
Old 04-21-2006, 03:25 AM   #35
Winnebago Master

The antennas are designed to bend.
Old 04-21-2006, 03:38 AM   #36
Winnie-Wise

It might leave a black mark the length of the door which could look nasty especially after you've moved the coach in and out a few times.

Doug

'05 Meridian 36G
Old 04-21-2006, 09:56 AM   #37
Winnebago Owner

Thanks again for the responses, Tom and Doug.

One last question (hopefully *laughs*) on this topic and then I'll keep quiet:

How much do you think those rubber antennas surpasss the height of the ladder assuming that they're in an absolute vertical postion. I'm assuming the ladder on a Journey will be the highest point of the coach aside from an in-motion satellite dome?

I'm thinking maybe 2 or 3 inches?

--'rocco
Old 04-21-2006, 10:30 AM   #38
Winnebago Master

I'm looking out the upstair window at my coach.

The rubber duckie antennas are ~4" higher than the ladder.

Old 04-21-2006, 11:20 AM   #39
Winnebago Owner

Tom, thanks for posting the picture! That gives me a great perspective.

Here's what I'll probably do:

Buy a few dozen "rubber duckies" from either Winnie or a manufacturer who might make a suitable replacement. Perhaps buying in quantity will secure a better price. Having replacements will facilitate having extras around when the antennas eventually meet their demise because of the scraping going in and out of the garage.

Then, I might think up of some type of material to glue or otherwise secure to the inside of the garage door so that the scraping damage to both to the antenna and the door might be mitigated.

Or, I might just concede and climb up on the roof and adjust the antennas before moving the coach into the garage and then again after leaving the garage beore hitting the road.

I'll see how it goes once I actually take possession of the coach.

Thanks much for the input. Any other comments are always welcome.

--'rocco
Old 04-21-2006, 12:17 PM   #40
Winnebago Owner

Oh, Doug, if you're still there... you said that your Meridian measures 12' 6" in height.

Is that to the top of the in-motion satellite dome? If so, what dome do you have?

I want an in-motion. I see that most of the manufacturers of domes make a low-profile dome for in-motion.

But, according to my research, "low profile" domes are still in the 12" to 13" high area. So, if I were to put a 12" dome on the roof of a Journey/Meridian, would that still make it the highest point?

Not to get too off topic but if anybody reading this can suggest an alternative to a 12" dome for in-motion use, can you let me know ...maybe by PM if it is not permissible to post the answer on this thread.

TIA!

--'rocco