Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-26-2009, 03:45 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Motorcycle Lift 39' Horizon

Purchased a 2003 39' Itasca Horizon for the sole purpose of hauling my toys.....2005 Ultra CLassic, 2003 GMC Sierra, and a Club Car golf cart.
Was told the Blue Ox motorcycle lift was the way to go.
After a week at the welders shop, they said no way. Coach frame would not take the tongue weight.
After some investigation, found Hydra-Lift. Welder is very impressed.
Check out web-site for particulars. Taking delivery tomorrow.
Anyone else want to take their whole garage with them?
If this works out, the plans are to put a ladder rack on the Sierra for my John Boat.
Dale
Old 07-26-2009, 06:11 AM   #2
KIX
Winnebago Master

I'm sure you've done your homework on this project but, others on the highway hope you have considered the overhang from center of rear axle to the point of applied weight multiplies the applied weight. So, your 700+ lb. Harley is like applying a guess of 1000 lbs. To this you must add the weight of the lift mechanism. And you are applying all this weight at a point that the coach manufacturer recommends approx. 500 lbs. of vertical weight. This applied weight will also reduce the weight on your front axle perhaps making steering a little less than desirable. All this applied weight will also have an impact on the weight supported by your rear tires.
Another consideration is the GVWR with the added weight. And one more consideration is stopping your proposed rig, motorcycle, truck, golf cart and maybe boat.

Maybe you should consult the coach builder for some input. I think you may find that your idea is not going to work safely.
I hope you have addressed these and the other considerations for doing this safely.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:55 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

The Vectra/Horizons were so close to the rear axle weight without any thing hanging off of the hitch. I wanted a Hydra-lift also for our 2007 Vectra but that put way to much weight on the rear axle. The Hydra-Lift still attaches to the coach frame but does add some new brackets and gussets.

Have you weighed the coach on the scales ready to travel without your toys? If you could do without the golfcart there are plenty of ways to get the motorcycle into the bed of the truck. How about one of these Welcome to Sport Trailers, Inc.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:07 AM   #4
I helped | retired moderator

Click here for Blue Ox's rear wheel weight calculator.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:31 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Let's see; a 5,000 lb PU, a 1,000 lb cycle, a 700 lb lift, a 500? lb golf cart and a 200-400 lb boat. Gooooooood luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!1. Don't forget the aux braking system. Oh, you might want to alert your mechanic and insurance guys.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:10 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Dale: A loaded MC lift mounted via receivers welded to the frame is a huge lever with the rear axle being the fulcrum point. This lever adds significant weight to the rear axle and removes weight from the front axle. THe calculations should validate that you most likley will be adding 1400-1600 lbs to the rear and lifting about 600 lbs from the front. Your diesel tank will vary 600 lbs from full to empty and will vary your front weight accordingly. However, the radditional educed weight from the front and additional weight to the rear could cause amplification of "porposising" on certain rough roads.

Adding 1500-1600 lbs of weight to the rear is the significant issue. You need to weight your rear axle and determine if you actually have 1500 lbs of spare capacity on the rear axle. The maximum single axle wieght for any vehicle is 20,000 lbs. If you do have the spare capacity make sure your tires can handle the weight. To provide a saftey margin you most likely will need load range H tires. If you exceed your GAWR or your tire capacity ratings then you have saftey issues.

When I first bought my coach I had 1800 lbs of spare capacity on my rear axle. My tires are 295R80 and have a huge amount of spare capacity. My lift added 1600 lbs and as a result I had very little capacity for additional cargo. I installed my lift and it has been fine for 6 years with no issues. My stock receiver was removed and replaced with additional components that were attached (welded) to the frame. The weight of the lift and MC is carried on two recievers attached to the frame components. There is a center receiver that is used for towing, however it carries NO weight. The center receiver is laterally braced, but since there is already a lot of weight on the rear, no additional weight can be added via a trailer tongue.

Do your research and regardless of whether you have a lift or not.... auxilalary braking devices should be added to any towed item (trailer or vehicle) that weights more than 1500 lbs.
Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:26 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everyone. Sounds like I need some scales and a calculator.Thoughts ?? on the following: http://www.racecityrvproducts.com/Models.htm
You can move the axle to adjust tongue weight which is what I am battling.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:55 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale R View Post
Thanks everyone. Sounds like I need some scales and a calculator.Thoughts ?? on the following: http://www.racecityrvproducts.com/Models.htm
You can move the axle to adjust tongue weight which is what I am battling.
The Tandem Tow Dolly HDXL will work if the combined package is below 8000 pounds. The dolly has a 5000 pound axle and a total carrying capacity of 8000 pounds. We have one and tow a Chevy S-10 with a small pop up camper and a Polaris RZR atv. The dolly is about a 1000 pounds, our atv is @ 1000 pounds and our truck and camper are 5700 pounds. We are just under the 8000 pound limit. I think that your Sierra is what will put you over.

If you weigh all your toys and truck you should be able to determine if the HDXL dolly will work for you. It does tow well and works as advertised.

Jim

Our Webpage
Old 07-27-2009, 07:14 AM   #9

Just looking at the axle placement on that dolly, I wonder what the hitch weight is when carrying a bike.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:35 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Rusty, the hitch or tongue weight is completely adjustable. The plate where the front wheels of the towed vehicle are sitting on will move forward or back depending on the weight of the bike/atv/golfcart. My particular setup has about 300 pounds of tongue weight. The further back the front wheel plate is moved the less weight on the tongue, if you need more tongue weight adjust the plate forward. It is a one bolt adjustment. It doesn't take much of an adjustment to make a considerable weight change due to the weight of the front axle of the towed vehicle.

Jim

Our Webpage
Old 07-27-2009, 07:44 AM   #11

That's good that they provided that adjustment capability.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:14 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Jim that rig is not allowed in fl, oregon,and washington, if you havent been popped yet,you wont believe the fine when you get it.there are other states where that rig is illegal also. good luck.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:27 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by empty pocket View Post
Jim that rig is not allowed in fl, oregon,and washington, if you havent been popped yet,you wont believe the fine when you get it.there are other states where that rig is illegal also. good luck.
I know you are totally incorrect. Are you saying any tow dolly with a car attached is illegal in these states?

Why do you say this is illegal?

Show me info that backs your statements.

Jim

Our Webpage
Old 07-30-2009, 04:54 AM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

tow dolly (Jim)

I agree with you a tow dolly is legal in all states. looking at your rig as nice as it is,your dolly could be considered a trailer, because of the load on the front part,and the length of it. if it were classified by a trooper as a trailer than you would need electric or hyd. brakes on it no surge brakes allowed because it would be considered triplesout west and in florida triples are not allowed. didnt mean to attack you and I do apologize if it seem that way.being along haul trucker for over thirty years ive seen the law been interpreted wrongly many times and been on the receiving end a few times. best to you and yours. Greg
Old 07-30-2009, 06:51 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Thanks for clarifying that Greg. Even though it is a tow dolly mine does have electric brakes. We spent the 2008 Summer meandering up the coast thru California, Oregon and Washington with no police intervention. I can not count the times we were passed by law enforcement without an issue. It would be possible to load this dolly and exceed the 65 foot limit for some states depending on the vehicle being towed.

Jim

Our Webpage
Old 08-03-2009, 11:10 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Dale,
I'm curiuos about something on your coach. How much hp does your coach have? What brand engine?

Another issue is warranty from chassis mfr'r. I know someone that works at a Winnie dealer and more than once they had customers that wanted M/C setups attached to their coaches. He told me that FL and Winnie say "No way" to added M/C setups and still maintain your warranty.......
Raca-roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:13 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Raca-Roni,
330HP of CAT. I'm hitting the scales this week. Does not look real promising.
Thanks for everyone's input. Big and expensive lessons.