Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2011, 12:07 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Motorcycle Carrier

Just bought a used Adventurer and need to find a motorcycle carrier that can be hitched to the back. Does anyone know were I can go to find one. It has to hold at least 800 lbs.
chula9201971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:17 PM   #2

38ft?
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:58 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Something like this?

Swivelwheel Trailers
Old 08-04-2011, 05:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Overbilt and Blue OX have lifts that are welded onto the rear frame and will hold 800 pounds.
Road Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 38' cpass A and am looking at the hydralift. Not sure if the weight (800+-) is too heavy for the rear end. check hem out.
Home Page - Hydralift-USA
Don't dream your life away, but live your dream
Long Island Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:31 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Several styles on Ebay as well didn't see any FANCY hydrolic ones.
Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:08 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Chula,
Something to think about is if you have 800 lbs. on a bike rack that weights 100 lbs hanging off the back of an RV with a 10 foot overhang(center of rear wheels to center line of bike rack) it will add about 1350 lbs. to your rear axle weight and 450 lbs uplift on the front axle. The uplift on the front axle is critical because it can reduce steering control and cause different front end handling. I carried a 450 lb bike on the back of a 37 foot Suncruiser and noticed a difference in steering.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:22 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Good point - Lighter is better.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:37 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Might try items for sale i IRV2. there are one or 2 isted on there now.
Orchardhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:56 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Pilot View Post
Overbilt and Blue OX have lifts that are welded onto the rear frame and will hold 800 pounds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chula9201971 View Post
Just bought a used Adventurer and need to find a motorcycle carrier that can be hitched to the back. Does anyone know were I can go to find one. It has to hold at least 800 lbs.
800# is going to lift the front of your gas moho. you will have to shift your loads forward in your storage compartments and travel with a full water tank.
here is the one i was considering before buying a dolly to haul my toad.

Mighty Hauler - 1000M
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:30 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Chula,
Well Sir, I just went through all that. We had a Bounder 34V and the frame assembly just was not up to the task of carrying our Honda Goldwing. So, we changed coaches to a 2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the 330 CAT in it.

I just finished doing the install of a "Hydralift". Those lifts are capable of 1000 lbs and you can still tow an 8000 lb load. They are normally around $4400.00 plus shipping to a dealer close to you. I got lucky and found mine on ebay and picked it up for $1800. It works flawless. I'm in the process of installing the "Hydralift HGLC" or, garage/cover on it now so the bike will remain clean and out of the weather while we're transporting it down the road.

I don't know if you will be doing the install or not of any of the available lifts but, it's quite an undertaking. You say it must hold at least 800 lbs? Our Wing is around 850-900. If, you're going to attempt to do this on a gas coach, you better do some homework first. The lift weighs in around 300 lbs itself. Then add the bike. So, you're adding around 1200 lbs to a "cantilevered" position on the back of the coach.

You must make sure that one, the GVWR of the coach will not be overloaded. Two, specifically the rear axle. Even if your frame will handle the alteration needed for such a load, have your coach weighed and see EXACTLY what your weights are, front, rear and total. I'm running right at the limit after installing mine and the weight of the bike.

Hydralift is one of the lightest available and has a great lifting capability. Blue-ox is another one but, from what I understand, that lift starts out weighing around 800 lbs WITHOUT ANY MOTORCYCLE ON IT!!!!
Overbuilt is another one that has a large carrying capability but, it's a cable/winch/pulley operation that I was not too much in favor of. There's one more on the market and it's called "Cruiser lift". You might check them out on the net. If you want to PM me I'd be glad to explain some of the technicalities and issues you most likely will have. Just click on the first picture to see ours in action on a test run before we put the bike on it.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:59 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Looks good, Scott, but I can't begin to comprehend the physics involved having that much weight levered out so far behind the rear axle. How does it affect handling? Does the bike shake around some on the lift? I would think the torsional stresses / vibration must be very high. Can't imagine ANY gas coach could be strong enough to handle that weight. Good thing you've got one of the best motorhomes ever made!
Old 08-06-2011, 05:22 AM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

We had our Overbilt on a 40 DP and a 45 DP with a tag. With both we towed a car or truck. With the 40 no tag I felt the reduced weight on the front end at higher highway speeds. I valled it my speed control. With the 45 tag, I never knew it was there. I carried a Harley Electraglide.

By the way I don't have the lift now, I carry my bike on a Rampage lift in my truck that I tow and the DW's bike in the front bay.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:28 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automobilist View Post
Looks good, Scott, but I can't begin to comprehend the physics involved having that much weight levered out so far behind the rear axle. How does it affect handling? Does the bike shake around some on the lift? I would think the torsional stresses / vibration must be very high. Can't imagine ANY gas coach could be strong enough to handle that weight. Good thing you've got one of the best motorhomes ever made!
First off Sir, thanks very much for the nice comment. Yes Sir, it does add a considerable amount of weight back there. I'm right at the limit of the GAWR of the rear axle. In the preliminary set up, as you see in the pics, I had only one set of tie-downs on it. The bike was on there just to see/check for clearances, tolerances etc. Later, I placed 4 more tie downs on it and that stabilized it considerably more. Now, it's never going to be as stable as it would be (and I have) on a trailer.

If you strategically place the tie down points on a trailer floor, your bike will be a ROCK! But, here on the lift, it will be stable but, surely not as much. The lift is well engineered. The frame attachments I chose were 6"x4"x 3/8" x 45" angle iron, tied directly to the bottom of the frame. I removed the factory hitch in order to do it in that fashion. That's some serious angle iron. Five, 9/16" x 2" fine thread, grade 8 bolts, grade 8 washers and grade 8 lock nuts were used, on each side.

As for "How does it effect the handling"?, I haven't had a chance to test the whole "AMTRAK" out just yet. I purchased a travel cover for it and am busy installing it at present. I should be done with that portion today. Then, it's the big question, will my lifted Jeep, even with a tow hitch extension of about 14", fit behind the lift and not get it's lights punched out when I make turns and go into and out of driveways etc???????

If any of you are interested in this kind of setup, just go to Hydralifts web site and they have over 172 pics of many coaches, brands and models, including gas rigs, with various versions of their lifts installed with all sorts of toys on them.
Scott
Old 08-06-2011, 12:24 PM   #15

Been there;;; My 1970 Electro;;HD; The scale weight was over 900lbs on the Bike; The hyd; life was another 350lbs Hitch for tow 50lbs So now I was near 1300lbs hanging out back; We have a Diesel pusher. Freightliner Chassis;; Let me be perfectly clear If you want to do it . Please do it;; Here what I found. The chassis manufacture would NOT give me written Permission/warrenty, Sparten, and maxuim Inc. I have seen Roofs Pulled apart from all that weight on the rear, side walls puched out . If you look at the front axel placement on a pusher you will see it is set about 2' farther back then on a gas rig. And most of the time the fuel tank genarly 100 Gallons= Appx 800 lbs When I was in a apprintaship; We had to lay out the things in a coach for balance and Safety Handeling; Don't for get I carryed MY HD; Now would I do it again; Yes of course; But I would Put it in a trailer; No more of that Hanging weight on the Rear of My coach... I say get written OK;;;;;; life is good
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:03 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

I gave up covering the bike on the lift because the wind caused enough flapping to wear the paint on the bike. I just learned to wash it after a trip.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:52 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Skype™ to BlueLine
Chula, Have you considered a flat open heavy duty utility trailer with a MC docking system attached to the deck. I have a 12' Utility Trailer by JP Trailers which I've carried 2 Bikes on with no problems behind a 99,34' Adventurer. I've put hold down bolt receivers in several strategic areas of the deck so I can move or remove the docking systems easily to fit my needs or load. I can also quickly remove the docking systems lower the ramp and load our 2011 Ford Fiesta. I've installed permanent mount wheel forward wheel chocks for the Fiesta. The trailer is rated for 3500# and the Fiesta alone or 2 Harleys don't exceed that including the weight of the trailer itself. I also beefed up the loading ramp, replaced the tires with 8 Ply Radials added Tire pressure sensors and also installed electric brakes and controller. Depending on our need the rig is very versitile. With one bike we also load 2 kayaks and a bicycle. The trailer toungue weights have not been exceeded and if it wasn't for the rear view camera you'd never know it was back there. Since it's only two wheels you can back it up very easily. Just an option for your consideration.
BlueLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:41 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Chula,
Like Blueline, we've trailered ours too. In fact, we've still got the 7 x 16 V-nose enclosed trailer. Many guys wouldn't buy one that large for one bike but, I wanted to be able to walk around the bike after it was tied down. I hate being cramped. We also carried all the motorcycle related stuff in the trailer too. But, two things of importance here. Because all we had was the bike for a run-a-round tool, we hoped for good weather all the time we were on our vacation and actually got it. It the weather goes south, you're locked in the coach for who knows how long.

Second, our motor home at the time was a Bounder 34V and, hooked up to that 16' enclosed, we were right at 55'. That made for some rejection of camping facilities because of too much length with a M/H and trailer. We needed pull throughs whenever and wherever we wanted to camp. But many camp grounds simply cannot accommodate that length. We always eventually found a spot but, it can be a pain.

The really good part of using an enclosed trailer, the bike remained clean all the time and it was always secure at night because it took me seconds to ramp it up into the trailer and close the door. So, we decided on a change and we'll try it this way and see how it works.
Scott
Old 08-07-2011, 01:15 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Pilot View Post

By the way I don't have the lift now, I carry my bike on a Rampage lift in my truck that I tow and the DW's bike in the front bay.

Wow, you've got a HD inside the coach basement? I would love to see a photo of that.

Some guys know how to live...
Old 08-09-2011, 04:37 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

Would I make another one? Big bucks for just a drawing, but I doubt I'd do the machining, getting too old and feeble. But it does work extremely well, a one person job to put a bike on or take it off. The Suzuki puts us right at 20,000 lbs. on the rear but still leaves 10,000 lbs. on the front. The Honda my wife prefers to ride is lighter by about 100 lbs. If not for the backup camera, you wouldn't know they are there, because you can't see them in the mirrors.

A winch does all the work, the bikes are guided by the rails so you just drive on, lift, then insert the top pin. Plug in the lights and off you go.