Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2019, 01:41 PM   #1
2000 Adventurer 35U

missing seat belts

Has anyone found seat belt cutouts in the dinette seat cushions but no seat belts? My 2000 35U has drawers under cushions and a solid panel under seat cushions. I only have seat belts for 3 on the couch and trying see if adding some on the dinette would be feasible. Thanks in advance !!
mbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 02:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

The 2000 Adventurer Brochure doesn't show any seat belts at the dinette.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:05 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Our Journey originally had a dinette and an area containing a "euro recliner" along the right side of the coach. The fwd facing dinette seat had two seat belts.

When we replaced the dinette with a floating dining table, we also replaced the "euro recliner" with a love seat. (Process described with pics in the "mods and upgrades" thread) We took the dinette seat belts and installed them on the love seat.

For us, a piece of cake to drill three 1/2" mounting holes. We could easily access the bolts from the cargo holds to place the 4" diameter washers and nylocks.

As your dinette is in the slideout, underneath access might be a little more challenging for you. Outside two should be easy. I'm betting you can figure out how to reach the inner bolt!

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 09:29 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Usually they do not put seat belts on the wooden draw base dinette and reserve them for the forward facing bench of the steel framed dinetts with the fold up seats and removable table. Your dinette should be much like mine on my 2001 and its not a designated riding position being made of a light wooden frame covered with thin wood paneling and stress skin foam core Formica panels held in by a few small wood screws for the seat bottom and back.

To gain a extra riding position I replaced the hoop bottomed swivel rocker recliner with a FlexSteel pedestal based seat with integrated lap belts similar to the drivers and passenger seats in the cab and bolted it through to the basement with 3/8 inch nuts and bolts with a steel plate on the top of the basement area next to the water heater instead of using individual fender washers.

The pedestal based seat is nicer for using the fold down table when we are parked too and works well when you spin the front passenger seat around for playing games, eating, etc while socializing. It also is better seating for when we use the RV as a mobile office when on the road and we put a laptop computer on it which combined with the computer tray on the dash gives us two computer work areas without taking up the dinette.

To realistically make the light duty draw based dinette a riding position a steel frame bolted through the bottom of the slide would have to be fabricated and installed going around the drawer to provide solid mounts for the seat belts so the dinette bench won't fail from the stress on the belts in a crash. The table should also be modified to make it removable to prevent injury to the occupants ribs and sternum. Shoulder belts would require that a steel frame be extended up the back to mount them as the I do not believe the sidewall of slide out has the structure to support them and is not as wide as the seat back of the forward facing part of the dinette bench. A pad covering the window would have to also be considered to prevent injuries from the window frame and glass behind the occupants.

The Adventurer 35U has sleeping accommodations for up to 6 people but only 5 riding positions as it was delivered however I do not like stacking 3 people on the sofa riding sideways so I try to limit it to only 2 people and preferably just one on the sofa. We usually travel with 4 people riding in the coach but do occasionally take two guests along.

You do have to be mindful of weight too as the max number of riding positions is usually determined using a passenger weight of only 150 lbs. 5 OEM riding positions would indicate the designed passenger weight would be around 650 lbs making it so three 220 lb construction workers for example would already be over that weight potentially making the extra riding positions a bit of a moot point. When I take extra passengers I do make adjustments to my loading such as draining my holding and fresh water tanks to accommodate them.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:57 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Our 2000 Adventurer had 3 belts on the sofa as did our 2004 Journey, our 2012 class c has 3 on the dinette and 1 on chair for a total of 6
Old 07-13-2019, 07:02 AM   #6
Itasca Sunstar Owner

We have a 2015 itasca. We thought we were missing seatbelts also but after further research we found they only put in enough belts for 7 passengers (driver, passenger, 3 on dinette and 2 on couch). The reasoning is that you need a different license (bus licence) to carry more than 7 passengers in some parts of the country.