Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Unhappy Meridian 42E Mud Guard

I need some advice on a full width Mud Guard for this thing. I drove thru snow and slush and had crud to the top of the rear cap. Even covered the camera to the point that it was usless. It has Mud Flaps behind the tag but they seem to cover only about 1/2 of the inside dual. So I have to do something before I leave for Las Vegas again.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:33 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Hello, if you are towing the only thing that I have found that will stop this problem is installing a "protect-a-tow" between the coach and the toad. I have flaps right behind the rear duels and had a full legnth flap across the rear. I shortened the flap across the rear cause I believe it was causing more dirt and dust problems being long, my engine compartment was super dirty after a trip when it was long and now after I cut it down engine stays a whole lot cleaner. The protect a tow stops the water vortex in the rear of the coach on wet roads. My camera use to get all snotted up on wet roads also. Everything stays a lot cleaner.
click on photo for larger picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06702.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	418.3 KB
ID:	30260  
Old 12-09-2012, 06:35 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Full-width mud flap WILL NOT help, and will cause toad damage if mounted too low to the road (6-8"). Only things I know that might help a bit are full-width air dam across the top to pull air downward, or "Air Tabs". You should find Air Tab info on a google search.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:30 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Hello, if you are towing the only thing that I have found that will stop this problem is installing a "protect-a-tow" between the coach and the toad. I have flaps right behind the rear duels and had a full legnth flap across the rear. I shortened the flap across the rear cause I believe it was causing more dirt and dust problems being long, my engine compartment was super dirty after a trip when it was long and now after I cut it down engine stays a whole lot cleaner. The protect a tow stops the water vortex in the rear of the coach on wet roads. My camera use to get all snotted up on wet roads also. Everything stays a lot cleaner.
That looks about like the Tow Defender that I have from Roadmaster. I think part of my problem is the 12" stinger extension that I have. I think I'll try a 7" to shorten the distance between the Defender and the M/H.
I had the same setup minus the extension on my 2008 Voyage and never had a problem.
I've heard pros and cons on the mudflaps and really am a bit leary about getting one
Old 12-10-2012, 04:05 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Finhawk, as you can see in my photo, I have cut near 2/3 of the rear rock guard off. When it was full length (6"-8" off the road) alls it did after a study is make more road dirt fly around and my engine compartment was a mess all the time. My engine compartment now stays a lot cleaner with the shorter rock guard. I don't recall now but I think I cut it down to 12-14". I like the looks a lot better also.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rear of coach.jpg
Views:	545
Size:	231.4 KB
ID:	30300  
Old 12-11-2012, 07:55 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

It works better to have your rear mud flap hanging on chain to allow it to swing up and over any alligators in the road. The style that is hard attached to the bottom of your coach does not give as well in this case. It is suggested to keep your rear mud flap at least 4" off the ground to keep from throwing rocks at your tow vehicle instead of stopping them.
You probably want to replace your mud flaps behind your dual wheels to be wide enough and low enough. Make those as low as 4" off the ground as you move down the road, unless they will hit the ground when you let all the air out of your airbags when parkiing. Make sure the material is just stiff enough to not fly up behind your fenderwell as you drive.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	winnebago wheel well.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	744.6 KB
ID:	30374   Click image for larger version

Name:	american dream installed.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	30375  

NRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:58 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
I worry about how lon git would take to remove this type of cover if and when I am in a siutaion where I have to disconnect my tow vehicle quickly due to a wrong turn. I hate to hld up traffic any longer than necessary.
How long does this take to connect and disconnect?
Thank you.
NRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:52 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRose View Post
I worry about how lon git would take to remove this type of cover if and when I am in a siutaion where I have to disconnect my tow vehicle quickly due to a wrong turn. I hate to hld up traffic any longer than necessary.
How long does this take to connect and disconnect?
Thank you.
Two points on my Jeep where the protect a tow is attached (spring clips),disconnect air chuck, unplug electrical plug,2 pins on blue ox. Put blue ox in mount hang electric and air line on blue ox, throw protect a tow on bulue ox, If I had to guess.......3 minutes...... give or take. A couple of minutes longer if you disconnect the protect a tow and fold it up for storage. I have been lucky in that I never had to unhook due to a bad turn. Myself, I would not worry about the problem you are asking about to pass up on the protection that this product gives your toad. Anyone that has had one of these would not travel without one, me included.