Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2007, 01:27 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

Mine works the same. I'm satisfied with the way it shifts and engages the brake, I just don't like the way it happens with just letting off the throttle. A brake switch would make that operation much nicer and less jarring.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 01:34 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

Personal preference relative to how far the engine brake downshifts to.

Jeff -- there is another reprogramming you can have done, which your CAT dealer must do. You can change your program to 'Latch' mode where if you have the cruise 'on', the engine brake will not engage until you touch the brakes (with the engine brake switch 'on'). If cruise is 'off', the engine brake will engage as soon as you let off the throttle (with the engine brake switch 'on'). Same functionality as the Brake Switch sml installed.

I had CAT do this for me and I like it much better (they did this reprogramming for me for free also) than the standard programming.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 01:42 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

Pusherman:

I considered having the programming done for the 'latch' mode but with the brake switch gizmo, the exhaust brake engages only when you apply the footbrake, whether the cruise is on or not. I do like that feature.

Having the exhaust brake engage whenever releasing the throttle was a pain and so was finding the brake switch toggle on the dash when you wanted it.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 01:51 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

smlranger-- good points. For those who are interested in the Brake Switch, if you are a FCOC member, you get a discount (about $75 I believe).

I wanted to try the 'latch' programming first before I spent the extra money, but I do like the idea that the exhaust brake will come on when applying the service brakes whether the exhaust brake switch was 'on' or 'off'.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:42 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

My 2006 Tour came from the factory (I assume)programmed with the "latch" feature that Pusherman describes. I have not had any problems with rough shifting and I also use the exhaust brake in the city especially when the traffic is heavy.

Retired Navy (ETCS/SW/AW)
Carnles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 03:38 AM   #26
Winnie-Wise

Like the others, I prefer the latch mode operation of the exhaust brake. Every rig should be set up that way.

I also installed the Brake Switch to get the exhaust brake to operate in Latch mode. I do realize I could have taken the rig to CAT to have them reprogram the operation, but taking my rig to them meant time off from work, plus paying for the reprogramming. For me the Brake Switch was a whole lot cheaper and easier.

I know RVupgrades prices the unit at the discount price the same as using the Freightliner chassis club discount.

Here's a link to pictures we took when installing the Brake Switch in a 2006 Vectra and a 2002 Journey. The installation is actually so easy we did it on our two rigs on a rainy day while camping last year.

Installation of Brake Switch
Old 06-28-2007, 09:21 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Considered both reprogramming and purchase of the Brake Switch but decided to try to determine if I could learn to use the exhaust brake as programmed from factory. My initial gripe was I could not "coast" by taking my foot completely off the throttle. However, the exhaust brake will only engage when there is ZERO throttle input. This means so long as there is more than zero input, the engine will be able to "coast". It takes some practice but I have found that this is doable for me. So far I believe that I can operate the exhaust brake as I would like to without additional expense. I reaerve the right to spend the money on the Brake Switch should I find that I do not like the current operation. I have begun to keep the exhaust brake on at all times and only rarely have it engage when I don't want it to engage.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:05 AM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Love the story! I can certainly understand the confusion in that nice tent spot...
campernut2 is offline   Reply With Quote