Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-22-2006, 04:04 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Would making an offer of 35% off and expecting the dealer to take it be unreasonable? Now that the 07s are here. Have been eyeing a 05 38J that's been on the lot for over a year.

Betty Boop(Our white Boxer)
HuBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 04:04 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Would making an offer of 35% off and expecting the dealer to take it be unreasonable? Now that the 07s are here. Have been eyeing a 05 38J that's been on the lot for over a year.

Betty Boop(Our white Boxer)
HuBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 05:03 AM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

Hugh,
Most dealers will readily discount to the 25% level when new....The "super" dealers will shave another 2 percent for a total of 27% off retail.
What I am afraid you will find with a 2005 on a dealers lot is there is now going to be a huge amount of what is called "floor-plan interest on this particular unit,where the dealer has paid a bank for this unit for almost two years.
Just how much the dealer is willing to "eat" is going to be the question.

Contrary to what a lot of folks think, the dealer must PAY WINNEBAGO for the unit when THEY take it...

Good luck!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 05:48 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Are you saying he may want to continue eating?
Some 07 are all ready out! I would start lower
and come up! No one will disagree it is a buyers
market. TENN.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:20 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

The Class A market is very soft. Winnie's Class Cs are doing well and the View/Navion in particular is doing extremely well.

Ask for your 35% - all it will cost is a little of your time. If they say no, walk away and ask them to call you if they change their mind. Chances are they will call back with a counter offer if they are desperate enough to move the unit.

There is an element of risk in purchasing a "lot queen" - you would need to be extra cautious about making sure everything works well and nothing has suffered from being idle for over a year or suffered from zillions of tire-kickers.

Always be ready to walk away and NEVER get emotionally involved in the purchase!

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 09:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I would offer 40% off MSRP. You have 2 years of depreciation to think about. Make a 40% off offer and go home. They'll call you in a day or two. This will make it easier and quicker to get the dealer to your 35% off MSRP.

I would not worry about being unreasonable. It's your money and we are in a buyers market.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:04 AM   #7
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">There is an element of risk in purchasing a "lot queen" - you would need to be extra cautious about making sure everything works well and nothing has suffered from being idle for over a year or suffered from zillions of tire-kickers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I agree with John; Things that especially need attention are fuel systems for both the engine & generator and the coach and automotive batteries.

Seals and slideouts and HVAC systems all need to be checked over as well.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 01:07 PM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

All good points, I guess I shouldn't have tried to post before walking out the door to Sea World!!

It truly IS a BUYERS market....

I agree with the "ask 40 percent" to get to your desired percentage off...

I also agree with John IRT to the "lot queen" syndrome...My local Winnie dealer has an '06 Tour that he has parked right up next to the building. My buddy tried to make a deal and trade his '03 Journey, (that he ALSO purchased there), but they were too tough to deal with at the time....(Note...that's my buddy that now has an '06 MADP!!)

I also learned a valuable lesson in my most recent transaction and that's NOT to be afraid of leaving the "comfort zone" of always having a nearby local dealer to deal with....My "new" coach dealer is 5 hours away, but dealing with him gives me a good reason to get to Myrtle Beach for a long weekend afterwards!! Method to my madness? YOU BET!!
Old 06-22-2006, 01:41 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I think 40% is unrealistic but who knows. It never hurts to ask. I bought a "new" 05 Vectra a few weeks ago and got it for 31% off sticker. They told me this was dealer invoice but of course who really knows other than the owner. I felt good as the unit still had the plastic on the seats, floor, etc. The dealer was very good about pre-delivery inspection. They found one house battery that would not hold a charge so they replaced all of them! Both cranking batteries were replaced and a complete Freightliner service which included new oil, filters and lube. They checked every system before I left with the coach and so far I only have found a rpoblem with the back up camera which I will take to the dealer when I have time. We are now getting into the high season for coach sales and in some markets, class A sales are great. I spoke with a large dealer near me who sold 5 diesel pushers last weekend. He sells Itasca, Newmar, Monaco and Fleetwood

08 Monaco Dynasty Renaissance IV
montanaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 07:25 PM   #10
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
... get to Myrtle Beach for a long weekend afterwards!! Method to my madness? YOU BET!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Long back in site available 50 Amp, full hookup.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 03:07 AM   #11
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
Long back in site available 50 Amp, full hookup. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Will have to catch you at home!!

Thanks for the offer Mike!!

I'm looking forward to meeting Roxy the Doxie at the National too!!