Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2008, 05:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Well, it wasn't exactly as I had planned. We voluntarily evacuated Texas City, TX, a few days before Ike came through. Unfortunately the place I choose was in Ike's path.

We weathered the storm at about Cat-1 winds in Willis, TX. It was nice having four tires and four stabilizers on the ground. We rocked and rolled for a little bit. I big tree fell in the opposite direction of where wife's car was parked, and would have also hit the MH if it had fallen that way.

On the way into the CG had to do a turn-around to get to the spot and some Yokel was parallel parked in the road, so when I made my swing wide I was faced with his truck side. I backed up to swing past him and it changed my attitude. The curb side hit a 3" metal post filled with cement. Scraped and dented the storage door(s). It was very dark in the CG and I really did not see that post. Oh! I do remember they put them in last year when I was at that CG to keep people from turning on the grassy area. Oh well!

Lost Electricity at 0430 hours on Saturday morning which also turned the CG water pump off. We boondocked it until Sunday and stopped in Brenham, TX where there was electricity and Diesel. I was running on fumes. (Dumb again - didn't top off)

Monday we arrived at the Austin Lone Star RV Resort, site 142 if you are in the area.

Have two major problems with MH. Front right stabilizer does not want to hold pressure. I can live with that and use leveling blocks to level if need be.

Second problem is the vertical seal on the Destination 39W curb side slide, bedroom. It popped out from the top to about 3' down. I have to put water on the slide side and assist the seal staying in place while DW pulls the slid in or puts it out. One more move on the 21st to San Antonio and hopefully there will be electricity in Texas City.

Not looking forward to the freezer and refrigerator when we get back. We do have news that the stick house did not suffer any damage but there are two transformer poles down in the back alley. Texas City was an island protected by the sea wall so there was not flooding of houses. Guess we were lucky compared to the mass devastation that Ike brought on the area. Texas City is 14 miles Nort West of Galveston.

Thank you Lord!
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:21 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Well, it wasn't exactly as I had planned. We voluntarily evacuated Texas City, TX, a few days before Ike came through. Unfortunately the place I choose was in Ike's path.

We weathered the storm at about Cat-1 winds in Willis, TX. It was nice having four tires and four stabilizers on the ground. We rocked and rolled for a little bit. I big tree fell in the opposite direction of where wife's car was parked, and would have also hit the MH if it had fallen that way.

On the way into the CG had to do a turn-around to get to the spot and some Yokel was parallel parked in the road, so when I made my swing wide I was faced with his truck side. I backed up to swing past him and it changed my attitude. The curb side hit a 3" metal post filled with cement. Scraped and dented the storage door(s). It was very dark in the CG and I really did not see that post. Oh! I do remember they put them in last year when I was at that CG to keep people from turning on the grassy area. Oh well!

Lost Electricity at 0430 hours on Saturday morning which also turned the CG water pump off. We boondocked it until Sunday and stopped in Brenham, TX where there was electricity and Diesel. I was running on fumes. (Dumb again - didn't top off)

Monday we arrived at the Austin Lone Star RV Resort, site 142 if you are in the area.

Have two major problems with MH. Front right stabilizer does not want to hold pressure. I can live with that and use leveling blocks to level if need be.

Second problem is the vertical seal on the Destination 39W curb side slide, bedroom. It popped out from the top to about 3' down. I have to put water on the slide side and assist the seal staying in place while DW pulls the slid in or puts it out. One more move on the 21st to San Antonio and hopefully there will be electricity in Texas City.

Not looking forward to the freezer and refrigerator when we get back. We do have news that the stick house did not suffer any damage but there are two transformer poles down in the back alley. Texas City was an island protected by the sea wall so there was not flooding of houses. Guess we were lucky compared to the mass devastation that Ike brought on the area. Texas City is 14 miles Nort West of Galveston.

Thank you Lord!
Old 09-16-2008, 06:27 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Having survived the Northridge earthquake with only the total lose of our home, as everyone came out unhurt: I can say I feel your pain.
Our prayers are with you.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:31 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Wayne~ I live 10 miles west of Kalynzoo and the Northridge earthquake rocked and broke our stick house. We were happy to have the 27ft Class C in the backyard at the time for our earthquake shelter. Slept 5 just fine, and the screen tent slept the neighbors OK.

Interesting how storms in the mid-West and earthquakes on the West coast are easy to deal with if first your family is OK and you have some type of an RV for mobil shelter if needed.

Hope all is back to normal soon.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:44 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

If you have to evacuate again sometime in the future, and not to wish that upon you, check out Sunset Point at Lake LBJ. Big rig sites. Some folks from the coast (including some from Galveston) came in on Friday, but and I surprised to see still open spots through Sunday (I'm in #48, and was prepared to boondock). It may be a little farther than you would want to drive. As luck has it, Ike missed Austin and the LCRA lakes. I'm not advertising for this CG, I'm just saying that I was surprised it was not full on Friday when Ike hit. Probably due to being a little bit away from the Interstate. And it is a nice place if you like to be on a lake.
http://www.sunsetpointlbj.com/

Glad to hear you made it out OK.

Jeff
Old 09-17-2008, 05:26 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

That's quite an ordeal my friend. Glad everyone is okay. IKE has done a real number on a good part of the U.S.

I guess you can fix your coach but you can't replace your life.

Thank God you made it through.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:26 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Wayne - I certainly feel your pain - hurricanes Charlie, Francis, Ivan and then Gene in one season finally forced us out of Florida permanently (We were 40 miles inland west of New Smyrna Beach.) We lost trees (one fell on my storage bldg) and every square foot of our 2.5 acres was literally covered by tree limbs. No power, no phone, no Internet, no cable, no gas, etc., etc. for a few days after one of the storms.

Been there, done that... no more thank you!

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:40 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Thank y'all for the good words.

We still do not have power to the stick house. A triple transformer is down in the back alley. Word from Electric Company is that it is going to be awhile. So far the only thing we are going to have to deal with is the upright freezer and the refrigerator. My neighbor said he was going to get a respirator and go in tonight and empty them. If he does, I will owe him forever!!!

We are still at Austin Lone Star RV Resort, which by the way is Passport America. Weekly rate is $140. We have to be out on the 25th because of AK vs UT and Austin City Limits festival. This place is booked. We will most likely be moving down to San Antonio, maybe Travelers RV Park, a sister to this Carefree RV Resorts Park.

Anyhow, anyone in the area, drop on in.
Site 142 right now!