Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2018, 12:58 PM   #1
Site Team

Magnum Upside Down Inverter falling down

Our Adventurer has the Magnum ME-2012 inverter installed in the Ceiling of the basement storage compartment immediately in front of the mid-entry door.

From new it appeared that the inverter was hung at an angle with the back of the heavy unit lower than the front. When loading that compartment I always noted this fact and figured that's how it came from the factory so that must be how it was intended to be.

Then yesterday, I went to retrieve something from under the Inverter and found the inverter hanging even lower and now resting on the Home Depot bucket I keep there. On the floor of the compartment was a bolt - minus the bolt's "head" - with a flanged nut still on the remaining threaded part of the headless bolt.

It took me a while to figure out that that headless bolt came from the rack that holds the inverter upside down to the ceiling. Then I noticed that the flanged nuts on the back two bolts holding the rear of the inverter were missing. The bolts were still there, but the flanged nuts were gone.

Further investigation revealed that only one bolt/nut combination was holding the inverter to the ceiling mounting rack. Luckily the bucket under the inverter kept it from breaking that remaining bolt and letting the whole thing fall to the floor of the compartment.

I found some extra flanged nuts that fit and replaced the two missing in the rear. To fix the headless bolt I had to drill out the mounting rack as those bolts are welded in place with a flat steel "head". But that worked fine with a new bolt inserted into the drilled out hole.

Now the inverter is bolted tightly to the ceiling and I realize for the first time that it should have been that way the entire time. If you've got a similar arrangement in your Winneebago - a heavy inverter mounted upside down in a compartment you might want to check the bolts and nuts holding the whole thing in place. I'm convinced mine was installed incorrectly - missing flanged nuts on the two hard to reach back bolts - right from the factory.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:00 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Our Adventurer has the Magnum ME-2012 inverter installed in the Ceiling of the basement storage compartment immediately in front of the mid-entry door.

From new it appeared that the inverter was hung at an angle with the back of the heavy unit lower than the front. When loading that compartment I always noted this fact and figured that's how it came from the factory so that must be how it was intended to be.

Then yesterday, I went to retrieve something from under the Inverter and found the inverter hanging even lower and now resting on the Home Depot bucket I keep there. On the floor of the compartment was a bolt - minus the bolt's "head" - with a flanged nut still on the remaining threaded part of the headless bolt.

It took me a while to figure out that that headless bolt came from the rack that holds the inverter upside down to the ceiling. Then I noticed that the flanged nuts on the back two bolts holding the rear of the inverter were missing. The bolts were still there, but the flanged nuts were gone.

Further investigation revealed that only one bolt/nut combination was holding the inverter to the ceiling mounting rack. Luckily the bucket under the inverter kept it from breaking that remaining bolt and letting the whole thing fall to the floor of the compartment.

I found some extra flanged nuts that fit and replaced the two missing in the rear. To fix the headless bolt I had to drill out the mounting rack as those bolts are welded in place with a flat steel "head". But that worked fine with a new bolt inserted into the drilled out hole.

Now the inverter is bolted tightly to the ceiling and I realize for the first time that it should have been that way the entire time. If you've got a similar arrangement in your Winneebago - a heavy inverter mounted upside down in a compartment you might want to check the bolts and nuts holding the whole thing in place. I'm convinced mine was installed incorrectly - missing flanged nuts on the two hard to reach back bolts - right from the factory.
I think this is a good warning the all to check the inverter mounting. This falls under poor quality control. Now I suggest that you check ALL of the connections in your inverter, power panel and ATS. Of course, make certain you are unplugged and the inverter is off and the generator breaker is off before doing this. Many of us have found loose wires. I even had a loose wire on my Water heater in my last rig.
Glad all went as well as it did. Without the bucket you would have been writing a different story.
Happy trails.
Rick Y