Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2020, 01:56 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Lug. Nuts

Can someone tell me if the lug nuts on the drivers side is right hand or left hand thread on my 2005 Winnebago ? I am mounting air senting unit bracket to one of the lug nuts . Thanks Don
cadillac man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 02:14 PM   #2
Site Team

Chrysler used to have one side with left-handed studs, but I don't think Ford ever did that. If the stud isn't marked with an "L" then it should be right-handed threads.
Old 12-15-2020, 03:34 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Righthand threads.
Phil-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 05:07 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I believe you may find the center decorative 'nut' on the rear axle 'cans' or covers on your Vectra is left-hand thread on the Driver's side:

(I'm not 100% certain, but I'm pretty sure of this.)

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 05:16 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
Chrysler used to have one side with left-handed studs, but I don't think Ford ever did that. If the stud isn't marked with an "L" then it should be right-handed threads.

I once had a 1967 Plymouth that had left-hand threaded studs on the left side. I now have a 1997 Town and Country and it has right-hand threads all around. Obviously at some point Chrysler saw the wisdom of making them all the same.

I agree that Ford has always had right-hand threads as far back as I can remember which is the 1950s.
Old 12-15-2020, 05:45 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
I believe you may find the center decorative 'nut' on the rear axle 'cans' or covers on your Vectra is left-hand thread on the Driver's side:

(I'm not 100% certain, but I'm pretty sure of this.)
Where did you get that wrench I've been looking for one .
Cataska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 08:39 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

This thread (Hub nut tool) has info on this, but I don't know if they're still available. I got my 'Don't RV Wrench' back in 2007.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 10:10 PM   #8
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Ok, I’m trolling this thread, but isn’t the OP talking about the tire lug nuts that remove a tire, not a decorative wheel cap, or is he asking about something else?
Old 12-16-2020, 06:18 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Ok, I’m trolling this thread, but isn’t the OP talking about the tire lug nuts that remove a tire, not a decorative wheel cap, or is he asking about something else?
Well, if you want to pull it, that is where the thread started, but why unravel the sweater?
theSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 12:01 PM   #10
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSane View Post
Well, if you want to pull it, that is where the thread started, but why unravel the sweater?

Ok, I’ll shut up and go back to trolling...
Old 12-16-2020, 12:08 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:

Ok, I’ll shut up and go back to trolling...
First rule of any forum?
Anything you say, can and will be held against you!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 04:24 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Ford did use rear axles with left hand threads, I had a 1983 F-250 with a posi rear end. I had to stay close at hand when getting any kind of work done that required removing the rear wheels or the jackass with the impact would just keep hammering on it wondering why it won't come off. They were stamped with an "L" too.
The automakers themselves didn't make the decision, it was the axle makers and the same axles were used across brands.
Old 12-20-2020, 04:41 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2004 Minnie on a E450 Ford chassis, it is right hand threads. Also the pictures above looks like a wheel simulator which is what is on mine, and is just a fancy hubcap that has two actual threaded nuts while the rest are just for show. The two actual nuts have a dash like depression which identifies them over the others.
mikemah1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 04:43 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Yea, I guess I should have read the other posts a bit better. Nice to see folks with a good sense of humor around.
mikemah1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 05:09 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Purchased one on EBay a few year ago for $10
I don't see them any longer .
Ive heard one can be made using a piece of PVC pipe .
Warm it up with a heat gun slide it over the nut . Let it cool .
Drill a hole in opposite end and insert a rod or screwdriver .
Or get a plastic cutting board trace the size and cut and file an opening & handle to shape
Journey cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 06:38 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac man View Post
Can someone tell me if the lug nuts on the drivers side is right hand or left hand thread on my 2005 Winnebago ? I am mounting air senting unit bracket to one of the lug nuts . Thanks Don
Well,
First off, it would be nice to know WHAT Winnebago we're talking about? Vectra, Journey, Adventurer, what? Second, while I don't work on every single motorhome/car/truck/space ship/trailer etc. that's made, I doubt seriously that there's any *right-hand* thread lug nuts on anything now days and, even in many years past. The last time I messed with *wrong direction* lug nuts, was on a Ford truck in the '60s I think. Again, I don't wrench on everything that rolls down the road so, there might, MIGHT be some vehicles/trucks/chassis's out there that are still that primitive, who knows?

Now, as to the HUB TOOL, that Chris references, I have one too. They were available in many sources years ago. Heck, at some RV shows, you could get them for free from one or two venders every now and then. I got mine off Ebay several years ago. But, I've looked them up every now and then and, as of quite a while ago, I've not found them available commercially.

One of the easiest ways to make one is to use MASONITE!!! If you're not sure what Masonite is, cruise on down to your local Lowes or Home Depot and, head into the lumber department. You can get Masonite in 4'x8' sheets as well as 1/2 sheets, 1/4 sheets and I think even 2' x 2' sheets.

And, you can get it in TEMPERED or SOFT face. AND, you can get it in 1/8th inch and 1/4 inch. What's been done in the past by some MacGuyver type RV dudes is, they simply make an almost EXACT copy of the one you see in the pictures, simply by taking some measurements and, cutting out the hexagon shape with any number of types of saws, i.e. scroll saw, saber saw, air saw etc. Then, you design in a handle and, vuuuualllllaaa, YOU'RE DONE! Some, make two using 1/8" Masonite and laminate them together. While I myself have never made one, I would assume that using the Tempered Masonite would be the correct choice.

But, those hub nuts are not on with all that much force. At least they're NOT SUPPOSED TO BE!!!!!!!!!!! The design of the back side of those hub nuts is such that, there is a *dimple* on them. And there is a bracket attached to the axle end by a couple of those axle retaining bolts. The hub nut has male threads that screw into that bracket. In the center of that bracket is the threads for the hub nut. But, on either side of the main threads, are a small hole if I recall, it's been quite a while since I've had one of mine off. The dimple of the hub nut acts as a *detent* and captures that small hole. When tightening that hub nut, you spin it 'till the dimple starts to hit that little hole.

You spin it just a bit farther 'till that hub nut is somewhat secure/tight and the dimple is lodged in the small hole. That is enough tension on the hub nut to keep it retained, without putting GORILLA force on tightening it. So, hence, that's why a Masonite, home made wrench, works very well in that application.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0335.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	335.3 KB
ID:	176401  
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 08:26 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

cadillac man, below is from the Freightliner manual:
NOTE: On each wheel stud, the end that faces
away from the vehicle is stamped with an "L" or
an "R," depending on which side of the vehicle
the stud is installed. Studs stamped with an "L"
are left-hand threaded and are installed on the
driver’s side of the vehicle. Studs stamped with
an "R" are right-hand threaded and are installed
on the passenger’s side of the vehicle.
Just a note there is a chrome cover over the lug nut. That must be removed before you can see the actual stud and nut. Also the torque is 450 to 500 lbf·ft.

FIRE UP, *right-hand* thread lug nuts are the normal and whats on most vehicles. Left Hand are the *wrong direction* found on the driver side of some trucks and older vehicles.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 08:45 PM   #18
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well,
First off, it would be nice to know WHAT Winnebago we're talking about? Vectra, Journey, Adventurer, what? Second, while I don't work on every single motorhome/car/truck/space ship/trailer etc. that's made, I doubt seriously that there's any *right-hand* thread lug nuts on anything now days and, even in many years past. The last time I messed with *wrong direction* lug nuts, was on a Ford truck in the '60s I think. Again, I don't wrench on everything that rolls down the road so, there might, MIGHT be some vehicles/trucks/chassis's out there that are still that primitive, who knows?

Now, as to the HUB TOOL, that Chris references, I have one too. They were available in many sources years ago. Heck, at some RV shows, you could get them for free from one or two venders every now and then. I got mine off Ebay several years ago. But, I've looked them up every now and then and, as of quite a while ago, I've not found them available commercially.

One of the easiest ways to make one is to use MASONITE!!! If you're not sure what Masonite is, cruise on down to your local Lowes or Home Depot and, head into the lumber department. You can get Masonite in 4'x8' sheets as well as 1/2 sheets, 1/4 sheets and I think even 2' x 2' sheets.

And, you can get it in TEMPERED or SOFT face. AND, you can get it in 1/8th inch and 1/4 inch. What's been done in the past by some MacGuyver type RV dudes is, they simply make an almost EXACT copy of the one you see in the pictures, simply by taking some measurements and, cutting out the hexagon shape with any number of types of saws, i.e. scroll saw, saber saw, air saw etc. Then, you design in a handle and, vuuuualllllaaa, YOU'RE DONE! Some, make two using 1/8" Masonite and laminate them together. While I myself have never made one, I would assume that using the Tempered Masonite would be the correct choice.

But, those hub nuts are not on with all that much force. At least they're NOT SUPPOSED TO BE!!!!!!!!!!! The design of the back side of those hub nuts is such that, there is a *dimple* on them. And there is a bracket attached to the axle end by a couple of those axle retaining bolts. The hub nut has male threads that screw into that bracket. In the center of that bracket is the threads for the hub nut. But, on either side of the main threads, are a small hole if I recall, it's been quite a while since I've had one of mine off. The dimple of the hub nut acts as a *detent* and captures that small hole. When tightening that hub nut, you spin it 'till the dimple starts to hit that little hole.

You spin it just a bit farther 'till that hub nut is somewhat secure/tight and the dimple is lodged in the small hole. That is enough tension on the hub nut to keep it retained, without putting GORILLA force on tightening it. So, hence, that's why a Masonite, home made wrench, works very well in that application.
Scott
I know I promised I’d shut up and stay out of this, and none of that post applies to me. But your amazing organization in your rig is inspiring...
Old 12-20-2020, 09:03 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
cadillac man, below is from the Freightliner manual:
NOTE: On each wheel stud, the end that faces
away from the vehicle is stamped with an "L" or
an "R," depending on which side of the vehicle
the stud is installed. Studs stamped with an "L"
are left-hand threaded and are installed on the
driver’s side of the vehicle. Studs stamped with
an "R" are right-hand threaded and are installed
on the passenger’s side of the vehicle.
Just a note there is a chrome cover over the lug nut. That must be removed before you can see the actual stud and nut. Also the torque is 450 to 500 lbf·ft.

FIRE UP, *right-hand* thread lug nuts are the normal and whats on most vehicles. Left Hand are the *wrong direction* found on the driver side of some trucks and older vehicles.
I most certainly thank you for the correction Sir. I'm of the time frame and thought process of the old cliché, *Righty-tighty, Lefty-lucy*. I guess, in all my years of wrenching, around 50+, I never really learned the "right-hand thread vs the left-hand thread thing.

Quote:
I know I promised I’d shut up and stay out of this, and none of that post applies to me. But your amazing organization in your rig is inspiring...
Wyatt,
I most certainly appreciate the nice comment. Along with being a fireman for well over 30 years, I had an overtime assignment for 24 of those years, outfitting brand new fire trucks. Guess you could say it stuck with me, in my personal stuff.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 09:20 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Concerning the Freightliner hub cap tool, I recently ordered one from Freightliner customer service, I think that it was about $15.