Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2019, 07:37 AM   #1
JBP
Winnie-Wise

Lube for slide?

I have a 2018 Vista. Does anyone know if you need to lube the tracks? If so what do you use?
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:09 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I feel any moving part, especially metal to metal can be made to last longer and work quieter if lubed and since it is an easy job, I always lube mine. I prefer a spray can but which one is sometimes just due to what I have handy. Most will do some good. WD-40 is always handy, so used at times but it is thin and for longer lasting, a white lithium is better. A gob of plain old grease works but tends to be messier than I like exposed on the side.
If you are having a noise, there is a flap of sealing strip on the inside of the RV, that may need a little trimming to get it back off the notches in the slide gear strip. My Vista slide is hard up against a wall on the left side so I have to have the slide part way out and reach around and behind the trim to get to the inside seal strip.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:55 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

WBGO and Schwintek recommend that the 'fixed' slide tracks be lubed with a teflon spray (and include the motor gibs/gears) - and recommend that the 'floating' slide tracks not be lubed (but certainly cleaned of debris).

We use teflon or dry silicone to avoid trapping dirt in greasier products.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:16 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

If you have the Power Gear slide mechanisms, give your service dept. a call and ask them... ours suggested they work better with no lube on the tracks
Old 08-14-2019, 02:04 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Great question, something on my list of questions for the dealer our next trip to the big city. Nothing said about it in my operators manual. On the trailers we had I used dry silicone spray for both the screws and the wear areas of the slide supports. I dislike grease, oil or something like WD40 because those things get sticky and collect dirt, etc.

A related question I have is what metal is the gear made of? The rack is aluminum. I'd hate to think the gear is also aluminum but wouldn't dare assume it's made of something else. Why? Same metal on same metal causes galling.
DCMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:12 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2Roam2 View Post
WBGO and Schwintek recommend that the 'fixed' slide tracks be lubed with a teflon spray (and include the motor gibs/gears) - and recommend that the 'floating' slide tracks not be lubed (but certainly cleaned of debris). ...
What are the 'floating' slide tracks? I assume the 'fixed' tracks are those that are screwed to the side of the slide. Thank you.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:37 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

The 'floating' tracks are in the same position as the 'fixed' but are attached only at each end in a bracket attached to the side of the slide. They flex with the movement of the slide.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:24 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
The 'floating' tracks are in the same position as the 'fixed' but are attached only at each end in a bracket attached to the side of the slide. They flex with the movement of the slide.
Thanks. I'll have to look up close and see mine the next time I have the slide out.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:52 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitPond View Post
Thanks. I'll have to look up close and see mine the next time I have the slide out.
It's very obvious, you want have to get all that close. I don't recall exactly because it's been a while since I've seen them, but I'd say the floating ones are at least an inch away from the slide - expect where secured at the ends.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:31 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I used to use wd40 for almost anything that moves, but when we got our new RV they strongly suggested I use spray silicone..for the exposed shafts on the levelling jacks because it doesn't attract dust and keeps the rubber bits from drying and cracking..since then I have found I am spraying my door hinges.. the slide teflon rollers and rubber seals..all the exposed metal hyd connectors system ( they rusted on my old rig badly) and hoses...I just cant get enough of this stuff! I also confess to spraying the ground wires and cables in the battery compartment... The big worry I get is it could be a fire hazard when I'm doing this..I am also spraying our exposed bicycle stuff..(snowbirds in Fl) and the dogs portable trailer wheels and canvas top...Usually go to the big store wallyworld and buy a 6 pack or more!...
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 04:14 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

At Winnebago in forest city Iowa the service department told me to use CRC power lube
Farmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 05:39 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

We-40 for lubricant

I do not recommend WD-40 as a lubricant. It is designed to penetrate seized components and does a great job for that. However, it actually strips away any lubricating properties in the process. I am going with the silicone spray (thank you to contributors who recommended that) because it doesn’t attract material that can collect on the surfaces.
Aroyalbr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:01 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

WD40 is not a lubricant. The WD stands for Water Displacement and the 40 means it was the 40th formula. That's what it was developed for, displacing water.
My local Winnebago dealer recommended Tri Flow for lubricating the slides because it a lubricant and goes essentially dry once the carrier evaporates. Silicone spray would be my second, but still a good, choice for the same reason.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:12 PM   #14
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Silicone

WD 40 also makes a silicone spray now too. My friend who owns P&S Car Care Products told me to use silicone as it won’t attract dirt. He also said as was mentioned above, to use it to coat all of your window seals, etc.-anything that’s rubber, to protect it. I have a ‘96 Bronco that has been outside its entire life, and all of the rubber in the windows is still soft and pliable.
Wyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:20 PM   #15
2016 View 24J Profile

I was told the same as Farmerman that CRC Power Lube was the best lube for the slide gear and tracks. Apply once or twice a year.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:44 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Another vote for CRC lubrication spray for just about everything. But I don't lube my slide tracks at all because It seems counter-intuitive to me. If I want a motor gear to "grab" hold of a slide track to move it, then making the track more slippery would seem to make the job harder for the motor gear. And it seems to me, the motor gear would have a tendency to slip out of the track. All IMO. LARRY 2014 REYO P
ldfeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:39 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldfeat View Post
Another vote for CRC lubrication spray for just about everything. But I don't lube my slide tracks at all because It seems counter-intuitive to me. If I want a motor gear to "grab" hold of a slide track to move it, then making the track more slippery would seem to make the job harder for the motor gear. And it seems to me, the motor gear would have a tendency to slip out of the track. All IMO. LARRY 2014 REYO P

Totally agree..thats a very good point
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:10 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmerman View Post
At Winnebago in forest city Iowa the service department told me to use CRC power lube

This is also what they use at the Junction City location, so I bought a can through Amazon...less than 10 bucks! I like to use what the pros do.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:20 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Sorry for the delay - here's photos. Looks like they are the "fixed" variety. Thanks for the education.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8125.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	373.6 KB
ID:	172189   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8124.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	172190  

Old 09-12-2019, 04:13 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

I believe you have the schwintec slide set up. There is a lot of info about the system on the web do an easy search. Other than CRC lub, another main thing about them is never, never stop the motion either in or out. Let the system finish then hold the button for about 5 sec. The motors have to stay insinc is the reason for this.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide