Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-20-2019, 02:24 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Lots of questions in one post from a new guy

I posted this on another forum but since this one is Winnebago specific and that's what I am going to buy, I figured I'd try here too:

Hello, all -

I'm new to the RV world, and am looking at purchasing my first motor home. With a budget of maximum $85k and wanting a Class A diesel pusher, I have settled on a Winnebago Vectra 40KD or Itasca Horizon 40KD as my target. Quite a few very nice ones are out there in this price range. I prefer the Cummins 400 HP engine. My tow car will be a 2006 Jeep Liberty 4WD. I have LOTS of questions, hopefully some of you experienced guys and ladies can take a few at a time and give this still learning newbie some insight . Hopefully I'm not breaking any forum rules with this format - if so apologies in advance. So, here goes:

- I'd like to install an all in one head unit that combines GPS nav, stereo, and inputs for rear and two side cameras. I'd like the side cameras to activate automatically when the turn signals are used. Is anyone aware of a unit that can handle all of these functions? Even better if it has Apple Car Play but I know I'm pushing my luck with that.

- The radio by the driver - does that play through speakers only by the driver or does it play throughout the entire coach?

-I see some coaches with solar power units on the roof. What are they used for? Battery charging, running some electronics in the coach, etc? Are they needed and worth it?

- Most of the RV's I'm looking at are 2004-2006 vintage. Most are low mileage, and still in great shape. However the audio/video electronics are of that age, and it's time to replace all that stuff. Is there a preferred on line retailer for that stuff, one that carries state of the art RV electronic items like I was asking about above?

- I enjoy working on my own vehicles. I plan on changing engine oil, filters, generator oil, engine belts, any hoses it has, etc. myself. Do you guys use synthetic oil in these big diesel engines, or do you stick with traditional Dino oil? I'm guessing most oil gets changed on these Class A's on the basis of time rather than mileage, which might negate the advantages of synthetic. Thoughts?

- Regarding towing a small car, which I plan on doing - my tow car with be a 2006 Jeep Liberty 4WD. I see a wide variety of tow bars, braking systems, etc. The cost and complexity can get quite high with all this stuff. I don't want to make towing the center of my existence, I just want the darned car to tag along behind me reliably! That being said, what do I really need to accomplish that? Do I really need one of these braking systems for the car? The coaches I'm looking at are huge and very powerful. They vastly overpower the little Jeep. Why do I need one of these expensive braking systems? These tow bars look like simple bars of metal. Why are they so darned expensive? I'm obviously missing something.

-Cleaning the coach - looks like a huge job, especially if you choose to wax it when you're done. What are you guys doing to simplify the job?

- The coaches I'm looking at have Norcold 4 door refrigerators. I see lots of guys don't like them but I can't find specifics on why. What am I missing? What's the difference between them and the fridge in my house with regard to operating principle?

-The sofas and dinettes that break down into beds look incredibly lumpy and uncomfortable when used for sleeping. I'm guessing you guys lay some sort of foam over them before putting on sheets. What foam are you using and where do you get these strange sized sheets? (That question from my wife.)

-I'm probably going to get an in-motion sat antenna installed with Dish service. We will have 3 TV's in the coach - front, bedroom and outside. The Winegard in motion antenna says it supports only 2 receivers. What do you guys do about that?

-What's a good modern A/V switching input/output center now? Anything remote controlled?

-Do most of these coaches have trip computers, such as one that displays avg. MPG overall, by trip and instantly, miles to empty, etc? If not have you put one in? What did you use?

-Where are you guys buying parts, accessories, upgrades, etc?

-What's a rough figure that I can use to estimate fuel burn on a trip with a 40' with a 400 HP Cummins? Is 10 MPG unreasonable?

- How often do you guys park in a RV park with full plug in services vs. out in the middle of nowhere using self contained systems in the coach only?

-I see very little mention of maintenance on the frame, suspension and engine vs. fixing things on the coach when I look online. The chassis on the coaches I'm looking at is Freightliner. Are they really THAT reliable that they need little work? I see no mention of suspension work, brake jobs, etc.

That's about it for now, I'm sure I'll have more moving forward. What am I missing with regard to stuff to have, etc?

Thanks!
Doug427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 04:37 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I had a coach that the side cameras would go on when you use the turn signal. I myself found I would rather use the mirrors than relay on the cameras. Yes there are units out there that do that. One big thing you need to look at with all of your projects is the wiring if new is needed.

Depends on the coach and how the speakers were wired. My Meridian plays through all the speakers. I have had coaches that only play on front speakers.

The solar on the roof is more of a trickle charger for the house batteries. It helps to keep the house batteries up and running.

TVs are TVs etc. go anywhere shop price and size. TVs you may need to do some sort of remodeling to get the flat screens to fit and look good. There are a lot of mods out there with pictures that will help with that.

Oil and all the filters related to the diesel RV chassis , let my mechanic do all of that work. I know for oil he's uses the shell rotela

Safety should be a concern to you when talking braking. Yes you have a big massive pile of steel going down the road at 65mph or something like that. This massive pile of steel has to slam on its air brakes, what do you think will happen to that little jeep that's following you at 65? Your right its going to become part of your rear engine assembly. That's if it even stays attached after hitting your coach. Get brakes!!

I use turtle wash and wax after every trip. Once a year over a period of a week or so I put a coat of wax on by hand. It seems everybody has there own brand they like which is good. You will have to pay special attention to the graphics as they do not like most waxes.

Norcold has been around since the beginning of time. You standard RV frig is either a two or three way operation by that. Electric, propane, battery. Mine is only two way electric or propane. RV frigs work on a different system than your home frig. The RV frig. uses heated ammonia to cool where home uses compressed Freon to cool. You will, as most everywhere, read more neg. post than positive post.

Most folks I believe use air matteress for the sofa sleeper. It easier to store when not in use. As for sheets for me its been an on going battle for many many years. I have given up and do the best I can with what is given to me.
You can buy RV sheets on line etc that will fit correctly but I am to cheep to do that.

As for parts make google your friend

Fuel I would be more in the 8 than 10. May be 10 going down hill with a tail wind. I truly do not keep track of my mileage. I will my rig no matter what the mileage is or the fuel cost. Oh do not forget that running your diesel generator will effect your fuel mileage. I run my generator all the time while on the road, it keep the frig on elect plug can use the coach AC unit.

I use any rv park that at least has water and electric. I am not one to go out and "boondock" If I am going to be in a spot for more that 4 days I like to have FHU which would include sewer.

As I am not a mechanic, I can only tell you what my mechanic tells me when I get done paying him. Keep up with the small stuff so the large stuff does not happen. On my freightliner there are 29 grease zerks and the brakes take a different type of grease than the others.

Do not over think your stuff, do not forget to go and have fun also.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 07:31 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by be happy View Post
I had a coach that the side cameras would go on when you use the turn signal. I myself found I would rather use the mirrors than relay on the cameras. Yes there are units out there that do that. One big thing you need to look at with all of your projects is the wiring if new is needed.

Depends on the coach and how the speakers were wired. My Meridian plays through all the speakers. I have had coaches that only play on front speakers.

The solar on the roof is more of a trickle charger for the house batteries. It helps to keep the house batteries up and running.

TVs are TVs etc. go anywhere shop price and size. TVs you may need to do some sort of remodeling to get the flat screens to fit and look good. There are a lot of mods out there with pictures that will help with that.

Oil and all the filters related to the diesel RV chassis , let my mechanic do all of that work. I know for oil he's uses the shell rotela

Safety should be a concern to you when talking braking. Yes you have a big massive pile of steel going down the road at 65mph or something like that. This massive pile of steel has to slam on its air brakes, what do you think will happen to that little jeep that's following you at 65? Your right its going to become part of your rear engine assembly. That's if it even stays attached after hitting your coach. Get brakes!!

I use turtle wash and wax after every trip. Once a year over a period of a week or so I put a coat of wax on by hand. It seems everybody has there own brand they like which is good. You will have to pay special attention to the graphics as they do not like most waxes.

Norcold has been around since the beginning of time. You standard RV frig is either a two or three way operation by that. Electric, propane, battery. Mine is only two way electric or propane. RV frigs work on a different system than your home frig. The RV frig. uses heated ammonia to cool where home uses compressed Freon to cool. You will, as most everywhere, read more neg. post than positive post.

Most folks I believe use air matteress for the sofa sleeper. It easier to store when not in use. As for sheets for me its been an on going battle for many many years. I have given up and do the best I can with what is given to me.
You can buy RV sheets on line etc that will fit correctly but I am to cheep to do that.

As for parts make google your friend

Fuel I would be more in the 8 than 10. May be 10 going down hill with a tail wind. I truly do not keep track of my mileage. I will my rig no matter what the mileage is or the fuel cost. Oh do not forget that running your diesel generator will effect your fuel mileage. I run my generator all the time while on the road, it keep the frig on elect plug can use the coach AC unit.

I use any rv park that at least has water and electric. I am not one to go out and "boondock" If I am going to be in a spot for more that 4 days I like to have FHU which would include sewer.

As I am not a mechanic, I can only tell you what my mechanic tells me when I get done paying him. Keep up with the small stuff so the large stuff does not happen. On my freightliner there are 29 grease zerks and the brakes take a different type of grease than the others.

Do not over think your stuff, do not forget to go and have fun also.
Great information, thank you very much.
Old 12-20-2019, 08:12 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
I posted this on another forum but since this one is Winnebago specific and that's what I am going to buy, I figured I'd try here too:

Hello, all -

I'm new to the RV world, and am looking at purchasing my first motor home. With a budget of maximum $85k and wanting a Class A diesel pusher, I have settled on a Winnebago Vectra 40KD or Itasca Horizon 40KD as my target. Quite a few very nice ones are out there in this price range. I prefer the Cummins 400 HP engine. My tow car will be a 2006 Jeep Liberty 4WD. I have LOTS of questions, hopefully some of you experienced guys and ladies can take a few at a time and give this still learning newbie some insight . Hopefully I'm not breaking any forum rules with this format - if so apologies in advance. So, here goes:
I have a 33 foot gasoline rv so many of the pieces don't specifically apply to information that I can give, but I'll give this a wack.
Quote:
- I'd like to install an all in one head unit that combines GPS nav, stereo, and inputs for rear and two side cameras. I'd like the side cameras to activate automatically when the turn signals are used. Is anyone aware of a unit that can handle all of these functions? Even better if it has Apple Car Play but I know I'm pushing my luck with that.

- The radio by the driver - does that play through speakers only by the driver or does it play throughout the entire coach?
I'm not a fan of an all-in-one system so I'm not sure I can help too much. My radio is a large (bigger than a 2DIN) system so I'm not sure I'll ever be messing with it. I run a Garmin GPS which is portable, but mostly hard-mounted just above the stereo and further away from me than the backup/side cameras.
My Jensen stereo has 3 zones. 2 dash speakers, 2 overhead (I assume for watching TB speakers that we don't use for that purpose) and 2 rear speakers above the bed. We generally just leave them all on.
Quote:
-I see some coaches with solar power units on the roof. What are they used for? Battery charging, running some electronics in the coach, etc? Are they needed and worth it?
I don't have any solar and wish I at least had enough to charge all the batteries when sitting. We don't go to may places that aren't full-hookup so I don't have too many issues.
Quote:
- Most of the RV's I'm looking at are 2004-2006 vintage. Most are low mileage, and still in great shape. However the audio/video electronics are of that age, and it's time to replace all that stuff. Is there a preferred on line retailer for that stuff, one that carries state of the art RV electronic items like I was asking about above?
Check out rvcams dot com. Tim over there was extremely helpful in my replacement monitor and rear camera. I had an old tube monitor and B/W cameras so replaced the monitor with an LED and the rear camera with color. I left the side cameras as they get very little use from me. They work, but there is a delay in the signal being switched so I'm generally using mirrors anyway.
Quote:
- I enjoy working on my own vehicles. I plan on changing engine oil, filters, generator oil, engine belts, any hoses it has, etc. myself. Do you guys use synthetic oil in these big diesel engines, or do you stick with traditional Dino oil? I'm guessing most oil gets changed on these Class A's on the basis of time rather than mileage, which might negate the advantages of synthetic. Thoughts?
Can't help here. I know that gasoline engines are way more forgiving in the maintenance and ease of doing so.
Quote:
- Regarding towing a small car, which I plan on doing - my tow car with be a 2006 Jeep Liberty 4WD. I see a wide variety of tow bars, braking systems, etc. The cost and complexity can get quite high with all this stuff. I don't want to make towing the center of my existence, I just want the darned car to tag along behind me reliably! That being said, what do I really need to accomplish that? Do I really need one of these braking systems for the car? The coaches I'm looking at are huge and very powerful. They vastly overpower the little Jeep. Why do I need one of these expensive braking systems? These tow bars look like simple bars of metal. Why are they so darned expensive? I'm obviously missing something.
I have a Ready Brute Elite towbar that I picked up used. It's a purely mechanical system (surge) with a cable through the firewall to the brake petal, so it's just another cable to hook up when I'm doing that. I really like the non-electric/air system. We also use a Towmate magnetic wireless light which saved me trying to run electrics through our Mini Coooper. It just pops onto the rear trunk lid and I turn on a switch. That may be a bit more difficult to put onto a Jeep. Look up "death wobble" and do whatever is needed to ensure that you don't get that.
https://www.amazon.com/NSA-RV-Produc...6854274&sr=8-1
https://www.amazon.com/Towmate-TM22G...6854248&sr=8-3
Quote:
-Cleaning the coach - looks like a huge job, especially if you choose to wax it when you're done. What are you guys doing to simplify the job?
Many servies out there that can do this but we carry a kit like this that will allow us to clean up pretty quick when we're not too dirty. https://www.amazon.com/Waterless-Oun...6854204&sr=8-4
Quote:
- The coaches I'm looking at have Norcold 4 door refrigerators. I see lots of guys don't like them but I can't find specifics on why. What am I missing? What's the difference between them and the fridge in my house with regard to operating principle?
Answered in the post above but I wish I had a 4-door fridge. We have a smaller Norcold that has done fine for us the past 3 years (we bought used)
Quote:
-The sofas and dinettes that break down into beds look incredibly lumpy and uncomfortable when used for sleeping. I'm guessing you guys lay some sort of foam over them before putting on sheets. What foam are you using and where do you get these strange sized sheets? (That question from my wife.)
Look for sheets with elastic all the way around. They will conform better if they don't fit perfect. I can count on one hand the number of times that anyone has slept on the couch so we don't have anything special for that (and don't really have the storage space anyway)
Quote:
-I'm probably going to get an in-motion sat antenna installed with Dish service. We will have 3 TV's in the coach - front, bedroom and outside. The Winegard in motion antenna says it supports only 2 receivers. What do you guys do about that?
No help. I don't use sat tv.
Quote:
-What's a good modern A/V switching input/output center now? Anything remote controlled?
Not sure I can help here. You will see many people refer to the BOMB (Box of many Buttons) that you should research.
Quote:
-Do most of these coaches have trip computers, such as one that displays avg. MPG overall, by trip and instantly, miles to empty, etc? If not have you put one in? What did you use?
I created a gasoline fill, mileage and maintenance log on my iPad. Our RV has a trip setting but I've never used it. My GPS keeps the miles and moving time, I don't use it either.
Quote:
Where ever you can find the best price.
Quote:
-What's a rough figure that I can use to estimate fuel burn on a trip with a 40' with a 400 HP Cummins? Is 10 MPG unreasonable?
Again, not in a diesel, but I'd kill to get that mileage. I'm averaging 6.71mpg over 2.5 years and about 26K miles.
Quote:
- How often do you guys park in a RV park with full plug in services vs. out in the middle of nowhere using self contained systems in the coach only?
We're members of Thousand Trails (camping group) and generally are 95% of the time in a park. It seems our only boondocking is when we are traveling from one place to the other and need an overnight someplace (Cabela's, Walmart (once), rest area)
Quote:
-I see very little mention of maintenance on the frame, suspension and engine vs. fixing things on the coach when I look online. The chassis on the coaches I'm looking at is Freightliner. Are they really THAT reliable that they need little work? I see no mention of suspension work, brake jobs, etc.
Can't help here.
Quote:
That's about it for now, I'm sure I'll have more moving forward. What am I missing with regard to stuff to have, etc?

Thanks!
Old 12-20-2019, 08:26 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
The coaches I'm looking at have Norcold 4 door refrigerators. I see lots of guys don't like them but I can't find specifics on why. What am I missing? What's the difference between them and the fridge in my house with regard to operating principle?
If at all possible it makes a HUGE difference (IMHO) if you can replace this unit with a right sized residential refrigerator esp if can can ind a nice fit. This one worked for us:https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-18-6-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
You will have double the storage, better cooling freezing a BUT you need electric power to it, which it is probably wired for when on shore power. For us, we never boondock so I didn't convert our inverter over to power it, we simple keep it closed tight was we travel, light up the gen set mid day when we stop for lunch and recool it, works great and stays very cold all day. If you need off the grid power then you will need to have an inverter and more batteries added. Norecolds are inherently unreliable and are a possible fire threat if not inspected frequently. They can leak ammonia, catch surrounding cabinet on fires from escaping heat and as in our case failed after 2 years...twice. When it was time to replace the cooling unit I could buy a new residential refrigerator the the same price and be done with the constant hassle of messing with it.

Quote:
I'm probably going to get an in-motion sat antenna installed with Dish service. We will have 3 TV's in the coach - front, bedroom and outside. The Winegard in motion antenna says it supports only 2 receivers. What do you guys do about that?
The Wineguard Trav'ler IMHO is the best for Sat TV. it has the same antenna size as a residential antennae, it automatically seeks satellites for you and stores it self when riding down the road. The dome types are less reliable and do not get as good of a signal. I have had both types. If you for some reason need to watch tv while on the roll then the dome type is required.
KTM251ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 09:19 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

My big thought would be to slow up and hold off on doing many of the major items you mention. Wait until you find out how YOU use the RV as we all do different things that require different equipment. Solar is an example. Will you be prone to parking out in the boonies where there is no AC? You might need to boost the batteries as much as practical. But if your wife gets nervous when she can't see any folks nearby and you will be staying in campgrounds that will fit a 40 footer, no solar needed. Point to keep in mind when shopping is that the big bus won't go to lots of the really great sites like corp of engineers, state and local parks. Too big can be a pain if it won't let you stay where you want. That's part of the personal choice. Do you like nature or want crammed into a "parking lot" campground because you have to have wi-fi? Only experience will tell you for sure what you like.
We're are on the fifth/sixth motorhome and still have not found the perfect one as we go too many different places. For mountains and pretty places, short is great, for long weekends like to a ballgame, big is more space for comfort.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 11:15 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I would also add that not only is an installed braking system smart safety-wise, in many states it is required by law based upon the total over length of your setup. In Arizona, I have a 32' Aspect 30J and if I tow a vehicle, I am required to have a supplemental braking system. If you ever have the unfortunate occurrence to actually see what happens when an RV has to slam on the brakes hard while towing a vehicle, you'll never think twice about installing that supplemental braking system...and don't forget to hook up the lights!

Good luck with your endeavors!!!

Al
Old 12-20-2019, 12:25 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Another big point on towing is to look at what each vehicle will need to make it tow ready. Some are much easier to mod than others. Newer cars with electronic transmissions can add lots of fun to getting it ready. Part of my "go-slow" idea is to give you more time to shop on lots of the small points that can make a big difference. Some are as simple as putting them into neutral, while others may be as complex as needing an alternate battery source while the battery to the transmission has to be disconnected.
I might suggest checking one of the larger hitch installation places to ask what your existing car will need. Be aware that the first answer may not be the best answer as each dealer will often have their favorite methods/products and others may have better. That's where the time for shopping can really pay off, not just in money saved but in convenience of use once it is set up.
Little things like music seem to be a thing with you, so getting set on towing may involve things that you don't notice until already bought into them. My 2014 Focus has electronics that forced me to go to a dealer for the total tow bar/brake system/ and mods. After all was done, we found the radio is not just a simple one-wire power setup but when disconnected for towing, we lose the date/time settings but not the pre-set stations but the bigger pain is the bluetooth phone pairing requires being redone each time we tow and disconnect. It took a few trips to finally recognise why the bluetooth got so funky.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 04:18 PM   #9
Site Team

I saw you posted this on iRV2 Forums and folks there suggested you break up your question - and you did. I responded to a few over there.

It's only natural to have all of these questions and I hope you get some helpful answers but perhaps it's best to not worry about these things until you actually have purchased your RV. Then you can get specific about the info you need.

Until then, ALL of your questions are answered on countless blogs, websites and YouTube channels. Take it one at a time and start doing the research.
Old 12-22-2019, 03:50 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:

Hello, all -

Sorry, can't help you on this subject.

My radio plays through the surround sound system throughout the coach.

The small solar panel is supposed to trickle charge the house batteries.

Can't help you with this subject, other than I use a garmin rv gps.

I change my own oil, and use dino.

I use the Blue Ox tow bar. It came with the coach when I bought it.
Great tow bar.
In my opinion, brake unit is ABSOLUTELY necessary for the safety of others on the highway.
If the toad breaks loose from the coach, the brakes lock up and the toad may even come to a safe stop without hitting someone head on at 65 mph.
The brakes on the car help to save the brakes on the coach.
Brakes on the car defiantly do help the coach during a panic stop.
I installed the Air Force One air operated brake system on my 2015 Cadillac SRX.
Expensive, but it works flawlessly and I have no regrets about installing it.

I am going to have someone else wax it.

My frige works flawlessly on propane and electric.

I took out the sofa behind the drivers seat, and installed two recliners.

Took out the worthless sofa behind the passengers seat, and installed a desk unit with a pop up tv the size of the window there. About 60 inches?

I don't use the outside tv. The neighbors may want to enjoy peace and quiet.

Don't know

Can't remember the name of the one that I use (I am currently in Spain, and won't get back to the coach until the end of Feb.)

On the web. Usually Amazon

You will get between 7 and 8mpg if you are nice to it and keep io between 60 and 65.

I can stay out for about 7 days . Just my wife and myself, before we need to dump.
We do use the Gen set when needed.

So far, I have just had to grease all the fittings, replace the air dryer, change an air line fitting that was cracked, and change the oils.

I do not regret buying mine.

Thanks!
See the quoted text for my responses
Akdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 10:57 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thanks!
Old 12-26-2019, 10:20 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Best advice I can give, get a top of the line unit, in your price range and year range. Get the floor plan you like, everything else can be changed later.

Drive and camp in the RV for a while before changing anything. You may be surprised at how well the old stuff can work in conjunction with the RV itself. Then just take it slow, replace/upgrade slowly, bit at a time, you will learn much in the process. It is a big box in an earthquake every time you drive down the road, things will need maintenance. Do what you can, let those that know more handle the tough stuff.

Good Luck, and remember it is supposed to be fun.
Old 12-27-2019, 07:27 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

As per your audio/video upgrade I’d be safe to say that like my 2011 Adventurer they are all networked thru the multiplexer via RCA composite cables. TVs today use HDMI, digital audio, usb, etc. Find one that fits and be sure it has at least one RCA input and u should be ok. The one problem I had was the main tv digital audio out. I had to buy an adapter to go to RCA. As others have said, it’s a long term investment, take your time.
Jakm is offline   Reply With Quote