Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2019, 07:46 PM   #21
Winnie-Wise

Keep in mind some dealers just want to sell and they will tell you what you want to hear. With my RV dealership, the sales staff did not care for the repair staff and visa versa. It was almost like they were in competition or one group was jealous of the other. Take a good look at some of the posts complaining about getting their RV repaired after purchase. I would definitely make sure every problem is repaired before you drive it off the lot (and if possible before you sign anything). Don't get roped in to this brand new RV sitting in front of you and blinded by the discounted price due to problems which might be minor (or major)...

I agree that the batteries are no big deal. Push to have them replaced and move on. The slide; however, would be a concern for me. Again, you will read several posts indicating how some slides need to be repaired several times. Knock on wood, I have been fortunate and only needed my slide repaired once (but it is always in the back of my mind). Like mentioned above, it could be the batteries were drained and not enough power to the slide, but if the RV engine was running, that is a whole different story. The check engine light could be caused by a loose gas cap, bad O2 sensor, battery issue, etc. Again, may not be a major issue, but have the RV dealership take it to Ford for diagnostics and repair. It's not unusual, to have things needing to be fixed at the time of sale, but I can't get past the slide issue.

Good luck!
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:36 PM   #22
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
All of this can probably be fixed. That’s for sure. But I would not buy that coach even if everything was fixed. Seems like 3-strikes and you’re out. Stories that start out this way usually end up with sad endings.

Look harder, I bet there is more wrong.
I agree. Very likely the tip of the iceberg. I'd be very surprised if it isn't.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 02:32 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

When a Ford sits and batteries go dead the engine has to go through a relearn process it can take a couple of trips around the block the front end problem sounds fishIEEE sounds like slide outs are out of sync. I would run the Vin# to see where it was manufactured and when, when the price is to good to be true something might be wrong.
The Kizers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 05:59 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Find another unit, if there are that many issues how many more may come to light later.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:26 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

I am going thru a PROCESS of trying to get a new Winnebago Forza 36 G (2019 model) we purchased in July last year repaired. The list of problems now totals 53 and includes repeat repairs and new repairs needed as a result dealerships making new problems. You will receive a lot of advice as to what you should do. My opinion is this is the new world of RV ownership in America. Be prepared to having your coach spend a lot of time at dealerships all having VERY questionable Technicians and a Manufacturer seriously lacking ability to support their dealerships.
I am now at a total of 12 weeks that different dealerships have had our coach. Each time I pick it up I hope its the last. Just has not worked that way yet.
THAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:33 AM   #26
Winnebago Camper

That sounds like General RV in Ohio or Michigan. We got our Vista from them last May. It was heavily discounted and have had
no major problems. You can confirm if a good deal by doing a national search for same configuration on one of the big RV for sale sites. Ps. Slides should only be used if engine running and jacks down and level.
ExBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:51 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

THAWK, was it General RV or another Winnabago dealer? Even Winnebago dealers will treat you like a second class buyer if you didn't buy from them.
ExBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:11 AM   #28
Winnebago Camper

ExBuckeye,
No not General RV.
I would not be comfortable with any of them, and in my case it included multiple Freightliner & Winnebago dealers.
Just assume the worst, hope for the best and be prepared to expend a lot of wasted time and patience.
THAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:58 AM   #29
Pensioner

Go with your gut feeling. Once they start bad, they stay bad. Warranties are almost worthless unless you keep an attorney on retainer. Secondly, do you really want to do business with this dealer? Look up their references and see how they treat their customers. Don’t let the price cloud your good judgment.
SnKPerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:33 PM   #30
Winnebago Owner

I would run away quickly and don't look back. We had problems with a slide and it plagued us for 4 years until we took it to the manufacturer and they fixed it right. Our unit is a 2005, 2nd owners, and we believe that the original owners had problems all the time that they had it. It does not get better unless you want to make a trip to the factory and have it fixed the right way. Your dealer will not do this for you....
maryinreddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 05:07 AM   #31
Winnebago Owner

good advice

You have received great advice from experienced RVers. Maybe you should consider an "experienced" RV. You can save a huge amount on depreciation and can get an RV where someone has fixed most of the bugs. Try a test drive in a 2012 (+ or -) Journey and experience a different world of RVing, for a similar price. That did it for me and you'll probably feel the same. I have had 3 class A, 35' Ford gas models, and now the Journey.
It seems the quality of new RVs has gone downhill.

Tags
slide, slideout