Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2020, 06:18 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Loss of Chasis voltage when lights are turned on

I have a 2007 Winnebago Tour, TD40. Driving from Florida to S. Carolina I kept getting a check engine line and then a warning saying:
"Auto Idle System Voltage 11.8V Threshold 13.4V". If I shut the unit off, waited a few minutes and then started again it was OK. My friend believes it's an alternator problem. Any ideas? Also, has anyone changed an alternator on my type unit?
jeppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:16 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I would first start with checking things that drive the alternator, like belts, as a slipping belt can let it turn too slow. But then there are always times when the alternator just fails and something as simple as bad bearings can leave it running too slow or wiring can be beginning to go bad.
I ight first disconnect as much of the electrical from the alternator and check how the output looks then, before changing the alternator. Also it would be worthwhile to check the voltage with a meter so that one is not trusting the onboard stuff to be good. May be a bad alternator output but it might also be a problem with reading that output.
Just pays to check before spending time and money to cure the wrong thing.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 06:44 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the advice. i did repalce the alternator and, of course, a new belt. All is working now.
jeppy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights