Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2012, 05:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

looking at Itasca 2002 Winnebago Journey

found a rig we like and would like your feed back on Itasca 2002 Winnebago Journey with 37,000 diesel miles. tires look good, inside very clean, no water damage and would like to know what else you think I should be looking for? waiting for maintance report from selling company.

59,900 is the price which we feel is good, what do you think?
saguaroland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:20 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by saguaroland
found a rig we like and would like your feed back on Itasca 2002 Winnebago Journey with 37,000 diesel miles. tires look good, inside very clean, no water damage and would like to know what else you think I should be looking for? waiting for maintance report from selling company.

Good looking tires mean nothing. Check the dates as they may be 10 years old which is about 3 years over due for new ones. Best of luck.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #3
KIX
Winnebago Master

With all due respect.........I wouldn't trust any report, especially a "maintenance report" from the SELLER. If you are a serious buyer pay for mechanical check by YOUR person.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by saguaroland View Post

First, I think you will find the Itasca/Winnebago to be an excellent value for your $'s. The price sounds good, but that's always negotiable.

If you don't have service records for the coach, expect to spend about $1.5K to change all fluids (engine, tranny, generator) and all filters (including air brake, fuel and engine filters) and obvious annual maintenance. Good and cheap insurance.

Tires have a date code, right after the letters DOT on them. For example the number 1102 means they were manufactured week 11 of year 2002. Time for new tires.

Good luck with your prospective purchase. I think you will be happy with it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

hi, I would just like to make a slight correction. The Journey is a Winnebago and the Meridian is an Itasca. Either way a Winnebago is always a good way to go.
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

As said, don't skinmp on a complete check-over by a well qualifed mechanic. It's the cheapest insurance you will ever buy.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:05 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

fiberglass cracks or crazing

Have a close look at the fiberglass particularly around corners of the windows and the fiberglass in general. Look closely if you see light cracks running in these areas they are quite common but a good negotating point. Have never figured out how much of an issue they are but there are various opinions on this site. I have a 2004 Journey and have them and most coaches I have looked at have some in this age group.
colemole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:00 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

In addition to chassis, tires and out side I'd suggest running the generator for an hour or so with air conditioning and/or furnace running on the high setting. Also run the refrigerator for a good while to make sure it gets cold. We do like our Journey.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:05 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I'd have the mechanics gone over by a qualified mechanic. I would not trust an outsource at all. It is a diesel and they should run for many miles but if something is possibly wrong with it you better really get out your checkbook. As mentioned check out the tire date codes. Good looking tires don't really mean much.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I had a 2002 36' DL Journey and sold it two years ago. We really liked the coach. A couple of other things to check out are: 1. HWH had a recall on the hydraulic hoses to the slides around that time, both of mine were replaced. 2. Another common problem was a heater core leak under the front hood that required the whole front end to be removed to get at the problem. 3. There were 2 recalls on the 4 door refrigerator. 4. If the tires have to be replaced they should be replaced with large carrying capacity tire. It would be a good idea to check with the seller to see if these problems have been addressed. Best of luck---the price is good.
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca, journey, winnebago