Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-23-2007, 03:27 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hey everyone,

New to this forum. Looking for any feedback you may have on the 35J. We are close to finalizing a deal and I'd love any feedback...both good and bad....about this coach.

Thanks!

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
jasonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 03:27 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hey everyone,

New to this forum. Looking for any feedback you may have on the 35J. We are close to finalizing a deal and I'd love any feedback...both good and bad....about this coach.

Thanks!

Old 02-23-2007, 05:50 AM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jasonm:
Hey everyone,

Thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I looked at one; great floorplan with the bunk beds. I would have designed it with a split-bath so it would have moved the bunk beds forward for better master bedroom privacy but it sure looks good.

I decided against it because I felt that as my son got older and didn't want to travel with us, I would have wasted / unuseable space with the bunk beds. Winnebago should offer some sort of storage conversion when the bunk beds are no longer needed.
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 06:06 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

We love our 35J - the bunks work out great for our two boys and offer plenty of room to grow for them too. The under bunkbed storage is great too. Its nice to get up in the AM when they are still asleep and be able to enjoy the rest of my coach without having to wait for them to get up so I can fold up the bed/couch.

We've only had ours out on two trips, but both times my wife and I agreed we made the right choice.

We considered most of the bunkbed options, we wanted bunks and we wanted to keep the overall length reasonable. The quality of the Winnebago was hands down better then the other bunkbed units we'd seen. The Hurricane looked appealing but I didn't like the idea of having the headboard and the bunks on the same wall. As for privacy, well when your in a camper there is not such thing as privacy, my wife and I love each other but don't need to maul each other that much that it is an issue. The king bed is wonderful, its so nice to have a big bed that we can hang out in, and our dogs or boys can be with us too.

Few things I didn't realize until we bought the coach that are big deals now over the competition are things like the Coach Heat, the radiator heats up the water tank as well as being able to heat up the rest of the coach not just the dash area. Thus you don't need to run your LP furnace while driving to keep the kids warm. The documentation that comes with Winnebago is superior to the others I looked and and way beyond any other campers I've owned.

So far we are very satisfied with our 35J for our family needs.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 06:21 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

We also have the 35J. Love it! We have been out a few times since purchasing in October. The longest trip to Disney. This is our 4th rv, 2nd motorhome.....This one is a keeper! The bunks for our 2 girls (4+7) are perfect. Our previous motorhome was a super c. I love having the living area when the girls are sleeping. The quality is super. Have only had one thing fixed on it and that was the windshield wiper motor.
We too, went back and forth between the 35J and the hurricane. #1 IMHO quality in 35J was better #2 the king bed was a huge selling point #3 the outside storage bays were bigger.

Hope that helps.
Headed down to Florida for spring break and can't wait!
Good luck in your decision.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:23 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We love our 35J - the bunks work out great for our two boys and offer plenty of room to grow for them too. The under bunkbed storage is great too. Its nice to get up in the AM when they are still asleep and be able to enjoy the rest of my coach without having to wait for them to get up so I can fold up the bed/couch.

We've only had ours out on two trips, but both times my wife and I agreed we made the right choice.

We considered most of the bunkbed options, we wanted bunks and we wanted to keep the overall length reasonable. The quality of the Winnebago was hands down better then the other bunkbed units we'd seen. The Hurricane looked appealing but I didn't like the idea of having the headboard and the bunks on the same wall. As for privacy, well when your in a camper there is not such thing as privacy, my wife and I love each other but don't need to maul each other that much that it is an issue. The king bed is wonderful, its so nice to have a big bed that we can hang out in, and our dogs or boys can be with us too.

Few things I didn't realize until we bought the coach that are big deals now over the competition are things like the Coach Heat, the radiator heats up the water tank as well as being able to heat up the rest of the coach not just the dash area. Thus you don't need to run your LP furnace while driving to keep the kids warm. The documentation that comes with Winnebago is superior to the others I looked and and way beyond any other campers I've owned.

So far we are very satisfied with our 35J for our family needs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">I second that !! We love our new 35 J too. It drives well, has plenty of room for my family of 5 and our dog too. There sliding doors between the bunks and other areas work well for giving everyone privacy.</span>

~Shannone & Chad [/COLOR]
Lil'Darlin1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 01:54 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We purchased a new 35J in December - Because we live in NJ we have not yet taken it out. We really love the bunks - it will be great not having the kids sleep in the living area. Driving to Disney for spring break CANT WAIT
FamilyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 04:51 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the replies. We are negotiating daily....

MSRP started at $119,000 with lots of options. Hoping to get down in the 95K range....do you all think that will be doable for the dealers? Not sure how far down we can get them.

Old 02-24-2007, 05:03 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jasonm:
Thanks for the replies. We are negotiating daily....

MSRP started at $119,000 with lots of options. Hoping to get down in the 95K range....do you all think that will be doable for the dealers? Not sure how far down we can get them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A 25% discount from the MSRP is average from the RV buying community. Your dealer can do better than $95K on this unit, as there are now alot of 35J's out there.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 08:23 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Jason I assume you are working with RnR RV right? I live just down the highway from you in the Tri-Cities. I agree with FrontRangeRver about the discount to be shooting for.

I tried to buy a Damon from them, I couldn't get a deal. I'd priced the Damons all over the US and knew the price I could get, RnR started playing negotiating games right away. I ended up walking away.

When I set my sights on the Winnebago I used OrderDirectRV.com to price out the unit our dealer had, that gave me a good point to negotiate from. With their price you need to deduct their shipping costs, etc. to have a fair price.

I worked with Art DesCamp at Russ Dean RV in Pasco, I've purchased two trailers from them previously and have been very happy with their service and sales tactics. Might be worth a call to see how they compare on price. Over the years I've suggested the folks at Russ Dean many times, they don't make every deal but they have many times. Art's number is 877-298-0412. Not that it will get you an automatic deal but tell him the Steve Howland sent you, they know how I negotiate and might save some time.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:44 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Hey Steve!

Thanks for the info. We actually did a deal with RnR yesterday before I saw your post. They came down quite a bit and gave us a really good deal on our trade in and on a new 35J. Picking her up on Tuesday! If you don't mind, I may be shooting you an email or an I.M. with questions about it. Plan on taking it skiing next weekend to Schweitzer! Can't wait!

Old 02-25-2007, 07:55 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Jason, Congrats! Glad they worked with you on the price, having the service dealer close is a plus too. Feel free to drop me a note anytime.

I picked up chains at Les Schwab since they are required when driving over the passes, thankfully I didn't need them, but a good idea to have on hand. One of the other members here takes his rig skiing frequently and had some suggestions for driving in the snow, might be worth searching for those posts.

Enjoy!
Old 02-26-2007, 05:34 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Cool! I'll have to look for that info. We've driven our 29' Itasca (class C) up the hill quite a bit in snow, but I'm pretty sure that driving a class A is quite different. Should be a good learning experience....just take it slow and stay safe.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:42 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Jasonm,
I just got back (last night) from a 9 day skiing odesy. We spent 3 days at Mt Hood Meadows in Or. And 6 days at Mt Bachelor in OR. I have been to Schweitzer 2 times now, once ina a class C and once in my Class A. There is not a lot of diffrence in driving the Class A over the C. Just take it slow and easy. I've had to chain up both time I went up that road to Schweitzer, just because once you start there is no place to stop and put them on. I love that 35 j floor plan would have been nice this last 9 days with my 2 kids and a dog. Have fun!

I may be over to Schweitzer in 2 weeks son's got a race there, not sure if I'll drive the MH or not this time though. Have fun.

Seattle, WA
rvcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:32 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Hey there rvcarpenter,

Was it snowing when you had to chain up to get up the hill at Schweitzer? I've never had to chain up to get up there, and as far as I know, most of the other motorhome folks up there usually don't either. That road is pretty well sanded when we've gone....hopefully it'll be smooth sailing on the maiden voyage! We go and pick it up today.

One of my 5th grade studentsis leaving tomorrow for a race down at Mt. Bachelor...you guys going down for it?

Old 02-27-2007, 06:26 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Yes it was snowing hard when I went up and had to chain up. I stop at the bottom and talked to the guy by the shuttle bus stop. I needed them going up but going down a few days later I really didnot need them.

A few other tips I ve found out over the years:
Carry a bucket of sand, you'll be amazed at what spots you can get out of with just a little sand.

Get a good set of chains, Les Schwabb is a good place.

If your going to use it alot int he winter consider buying a good set of snow tires, this made a huge difference for me.

Carry a shovel

Hope you have fun in your new MH, enjoy and do some powder turns for me!

Live to Ski, Ski to Die!

Seattle, WA
Old 03-01-2007, 03:38 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Amen to powder!

I think if it's snowing when we head up tomorrow afternoon, we may wait at the lower lot for the plows/sanding truck to clear the road. If it's really bad, we may just park there overnight and head up in the A.M. Don't wanna chance it on the virgin trip in the new 35J! Weather calls for fairly clear conditions, so we're probably fine.

Thanks for the tips! Never thought about carrying extra sand in the coach.

Old 03-01-2007, 05:20 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Good luck and have fun. Let me know how the MH works out for you. I'll be up there the weekend of March 31 April 1 for a race. Hopefully I'll have sunshine, I've always had fog at that ski area.

Seattle, WA