Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-30-2021, 11:43 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

Running your generator will have some effect on your mpg but, IMHO, whatever effect it does have is worth it. In addition to supplementing your cab a/c, it will ensure that you don't have a large heat load to overcome when you reach your destination. There's nothing worse than to arrive at your campground and have to swelter while your a/c catches up. Even if your cab a/c is working, it's likely not going to do all that much for your passengers.

Here's a link for more info:

https://www.godownsize.com/fuel-rv-generator/

You're fortunate to have 30A service at home. It's helpful to know that, as a former TT owner, you're not a newbie to most of the "house" problems you'll encounter.

I predict that you'll soon be asking about towing a "toad" (car).
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 12:28 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Running your generator will have some effect on your mpg but, IMHO, whatever effect it does have is worth it. In addition to supplementing your cab a/c, it will ensure that you don't have a large heat load to overcome when you reach your destination. There's nothing worse than to arrive at your campground and have to swelter while your a/c catches up. Even if your cab a/c is working, it's likely not going to do all that much for your passengers.

Here's a link for more info:

https://www.godownsize.com/fuel-rv-generator/

You're fortunate to have 30A service at home. It's helpful to know that, as a former TT owner, you're not a newbie to most of the "house" problems you'll encounter.

I predict that you'll soon be asking about towing a "toad" (car).

Good to know. TBH, I was wondering about how that worked and it seemed like a tall order for the cab vents to cool the whole thing.

I did run the basement unit on the generator and it ran great, I just didn't do it going down the road but it makes sense especially here in the south where it it hot and muggy.

About the toad, it has been front and center especially when deciding between a towable and a RV. In the end, I think the RV is better for our intended use with the biggest disadvantage being getting around once we get there. I do plan on bringing my motorcycle at first so that I can get missing groceries or hardware items without taking the house with me. It can go in the hitch. We will then see what our real world needs are going forward.
Maddmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 02:02 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

I full timed in a 36' Bounder for 12 years before I finally got a toad. Takes planning but it's doable. Then I had a regular bicycle for short trips+exercise.

Anywho, the generator draws between 0.6 and 0.8 GPH. Up to you if it's worth it. I agree with what BobC says. Arriving in the heat of ~90ᵒ F, and then turning on the basement air takes until 10-11 pm for it to get comfortable in the living space. So I run my generator quite often on the road on hot days. Sometimes I don't need to start it until I'm an hour away from an RV park, so there's that. But my dash A/C is working now and that makes a big difference in comfort though having the two forward ceiling vents pointed at myself in the drivers seat when the dash air didn't work worked fine too.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 06:22 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Ambient air temp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmike View Post
Picked up the ole girl today and drove her home 100 miles in the 93 degree heat. She ran great, the only problem was the air in the cab is not working. Blowing but not cold.

Is this something a diesel mechanic can work on or do I need to go to an RV place (I tend to dislike those). It has been sitting for two year so there must be a slow freon leak. Everything else ran perfectly and the fridge was cold by the time we got home.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vZ3LWRmq6HQ3VwFB9
Madmike, If i am correct, the general rule is that an air conditioner will produce cooled air approximately 20 degrees cooler than ambient temp.
When you are going down road with outdoor temps at 93, and sun beating down on the big box you are riding in, the dash air is not capable of cooling
your rig. At those temps, I start GEN. put both roof mounted air conditioners on High and still run dash air. All air conditioners have been serviced and running well. It takes a lot to compensate for these high temps. The extra fuel cost in this case is an investment in your comfort and well being.
Old 07-04-2021, 07:22 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Hey guys and gals, I have not been on as we have been off on a family adventure. Currently We are sitting at the Hilton Head Island Motorcoach Resort across from a $2.3M Prevost Millennium but there are all shapes and sizes here (Mainly Newmars).

We spent our first night in a truck stop somewhere in SC. We were headed to FL but the hurricane made us change our plans. Loving this thing so far. No complaints. My biggest boo-boo was hitting my own mail box leaving the driveway. Once we get home, the sofas need to get redone as well as the carpet, but this thing runs like a champ and we are already creating family memories together.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hxhZcaisbKF7SmB97

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4J3tF1R9Y6ZX3Egy5

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NVVD6d2qwT9RGQDz5

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RM36HkzJi7PF38Xh8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YH63DSQmcp34JqF97
Old 07-04-2021, 07:25 PM   #26
Winnebago Master

Looks like a great trip and wonderful photos.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 07:31 PM   #27
Winnebago Master

Great to hear it ran so well. Note of caution when you're parking in a truck stop. Always be as visible as possible. Park way up front of the space so tired truckers coming late will see you're already parked there and won't waste their time trying to pull into your place. They get testy when that happens. Vandalism is not unheard of in that sort of case. It's better now, but there's still lots of truckers who hate RV'ers taking up room at truck stops. I always tried to find the least favorable 'truck' parking at the lot and take that space.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 05:46 AM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmike View Post
Been looking for a motorhome for my family with two small girls. We wanted something smaller, around 26 feet, but as a young family everything is either too expensive or crap.

My wife and I are in our early forties and saving for retirement while both working and raising two small girls. We both work in tech and can pretty much work from everywhere but we are based out of Raleigh, NC.

Of all the used units that I have come across, the Wennebagos from all years seem to be holding up the best so I think it is the only way to go.

We were not looking for a Diesel pusher but once you start looking at anything around 30 feet, you may as well.

Anyway, all that to say, I found what seems to be a well cared for unit in VA about 1.5 hours from me. My wife and I are checking it out tomorrow. Would love to get se collective wisdom and feedback. I do think it may be about $5k over what I'm willing to pay. Anyone know this rig?
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...2079354529027/

Thanks for any feedback.
We have had a ‘09 Journey 34y. Some floor plan differences, but same chassis, features. We love it! Plenty of space, double wide frig, water/ holding tanks have large capacity, generator up-front and quiet... Ours(yours?) has the basement AC/ heat pump as opposed to the two units on the roof. Thought I’d like that better than noisy roof units... but with the single unit near bed it’s a bit noisier, but we quickly got use to it and doesn’t run that much a night. (With two units on roof we usually just turn on one that was the furtherest away from where we were... so front AC while sleeping. With three slides gives many options for quick in/out overnights, especially in non-regular RV Park over nights.
Radioflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 06:03 AM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Congrats on the new Journey. I too have an 03 journey 36gd. Like many its out dated but I dont mind as long as of functions as its supose too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190729_180350-compressed.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	553.9 KB
ID:	179950  
csmart94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 07:41 AM   #30
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Great to hear it ran so well. Note of caution when you're parking in a truck stop. Always be as visible as possible. Park way up front of the space so tired truckers coming late will see you're already parked there and won't waste their time trying to pull into your place. They get testy when that happens. Vandalism is not unheard of in that sort of case. It's better now, but there's still lots of truckers who hate RV'ers taking up room at truck stops. I always tried to find the least favorable 'truck' parking at the lot and take that space.

Good point. I did say truck stop but I meant to say rest stop along I95.

I did notice diesel is significantly more expensive at truck stops such as Loves and Pilot. It ran between $315 and $335. Regular gas stations had it at $289 or so. I used to have an X5 diesel and never noticed that discrepancy. One more reason to stay away from truck stops.

On a side note, how do you engage the emergency blinkers? I must be blind but I can't seem to find the switch.
Old 07-05-2021, 07:45 AM   #31
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioflyer View Post
We have had a ‘09 Journey 34y. Some floor plan differences, but same chassis, features. We love it! Plenty of space, double wide frig, water/ holding tanks have large capacity, generator up-front and quiet... Ours(yours?) has the basement AC/ heat pump as opposed to the two units on the roof. Thought I’d like that better than noisy roof units... but with the single unit near bed it’s a bit noisier, but we quickly got use to it and doesn’t run that much a night. (With two units on roof we usually just turn on one that was the furtherest away from where we were... so front AC while sleeping. With three slides gives many options for quick in/out overnights, especially in non-regular RV Park over nights.

We love love our layout. When shopping, it is all theoretical as you try to imagine how it all would work. In practicality though, it sometimes doesn't work out. We thought we would remove the love seat that is bedhind the passenger seat but it has been extremely paracical and the large storage underneath is perfect for toys and shoes. I can't think of a part of the layout that we would change.

We have the basement AC and are used to sleeping with white noise machines with a baby and a toddler so it works out perfectly.
Old 07-05-2021, 08:09 AM   #32
Winnebago Camper

I believe the blinkers are bottom left side of steering column. Its a pull down switch to active that is rectangle in shape.
Old 07-05-2021, 09:51 AM   #33
Winnebago Camper

Hello,I love my 2005 Journey,HOWEVER.....be cautious and inspect the ceiling and roof rail edges for water damage do to NO reseALING MAINTENANCE....I live in NM and payed for an inspection of the coach in FL-got the OK,flew to FL,drove it home and found minor water damage in bathroom,galley...........Finally got it up to snuff to suit me.The more you look,the more problems you find as they shake there selves apart.Do your home work.But they are good reliable coaches-ENJOY
BobbyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 05:24 PM   #34
Winnebago Camper

Check this Item

We have a 34 HD and love it. One of the things we had happen is the flex line from the sink drain in the kitchen slideout got cracked near the tank end and started leaking, smelling of grey tank. Pull the drawers out to left of sink and look down inside and you should see it. yours may be fine, but if you have to replace, you CAN do it yourself, with the proper fittings, ordered online. I replaced with a much more flexible hose from Lowes. Good luck and safe travels
rebrobin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey