Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-14-2014, 02:23 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Looking at 2003 Adventurer

We are looking at a 2003 adventurer 38g with 39000 miles from a private owner. I will be taking it to a garage for evaluation but the one issue I am aware of is the leaking windshield.

I can see some rust behind the top gasket. I understand that the correct fix is to have the windshield removed and body work done to repair the rust with rust inhibitor and new paint before installation of windows.

I also know there is a risk that the windshield will break upon removal which will raise my cost significantly.

The question is for those who have dealt with the issue, is this a permanent fix for the problem? How many have had the windshields break during the job?

Any overall opinions on Adventurer 38g as a first motorhome.

Thanks
Challenger01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:49 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We had a 2003 Adventurer with the Winnebago windshield problem with rust and leaks the rust build up and road vibration finally cracked the windshield and we had it replaced after they removed the rust and treated the metal, after that we had no problem with leaks we kept that coach about 3 years after replacing the windshield
Old 06-15-2014, 07:16 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger01 View Post
We are looking at a 2003 adventurer 38g with 39000 miles from a private owner. I will be taking it to a garage for evaluation but the one issue I am aware of is the leaking windshield.

I can see some rust behind the top gasket. I understand that the correct fix is to have the windshield removed and body work done to repair the rust with rust inhibitor and new paint before installation of windows.

I also know there is a risk that the windshield will break upon removal which will raise my cost significantly.

The question is for those who have dealt with the issue, is this a permanent fix for the problem? How many have had the windshields break during the job?

Any overall opinions on Adventurer 38g as a first motorhome.

Thanks
IMO, the 38 G is a terrific floor plan, and the Adventurer is a quality coach. I know at least one "DriVer" who has over 100,000 miles on his.

Since you are buying from a private seller, IF this one is on a Workhorse W-series chassis, you'll want to VERIFY the seller had the Bosch Brake Recall completed. If not, then insist he do that before you buy it.

Oh, and Welcome to the forum.com
Ed
Old 06-15-2014, 10:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the feedback.

The 38g I am looking at has the Ford V10 F53.

It has the 7000 watt generator with 880 hours. It fires up well and the central air cools the unit well. The dash ac is not very cold but that may need charged like a normal car

The oven and stove top do not look they have been used at all.

The current owners have had it for 4 years and have only put 5000 miles on it. It was exclusively used for weekend d trips and tailgating. The tires are only 2 years old as well.

I am trying to get a reliable place to get me a quote on the windshield issue. I am in the Pittsburgh area.

Thanks again!
Old 06-15-2014, 10:19 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

One more thing,

I did not see any service record for replacement brakes and rotors. I will have to wait to see what is determined by the inspection, but how long are brakes and rotors lasting on this type of vehicle. (I know the terrain will be a big factor but most of the miles came early with cross country trips)

Thanks
Old 06-16-2014, 06:41 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
One more thing,

I did not see any service record for replacement brakes and rotors. I will have to wait to see what is determined by the inspection, but how long are brakes and rotors lasting on this type of vehicle. (I know the terrain will be a big factor but most of the miles came early with cross country trips)

Thanks
The Ford chassis were not part of the Bosch Brake Recall.

With 39,000 miles you shouldn't need new pads, and certainly not rotors, unless a previous owner was "riding" his brakes......a lot.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:46 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I had an 01 Chieftain 35u and put 62,000 repair less miles on it. The windshield is an issue. I traded mine before it got bad so I can't comment on it but there's plenty of threads here on that subject that you can do a search for. Good luck with your decision.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:01 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Rust is often not just skin deep

When we bought our '03 34V, it needed a windshield replaced. Since I'd read about it here, I knew to tell the dealer I wanted the frame inspected.

When the window was removed, it was found that frame was badly rusted and it was not safe to install the new window; it would just break again. They cut out the rusted frame of the windshield and replaced it with new metal, painted it with rust inhibitor, and installed the new windshield. We've not had a problem since, but we've owned it less than a year so far.

Knowing about the frame rust problem that model year had saved me over $2,000 in repair bills. The dealer replaced it at their cost.

So be prepared that the damage might be more extensive than it appears at first glance. If you can, be present when the frame is inspected to prevent them from putting on a 'bandaid'.
jcrain9663 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:21 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I took the rv out for about 50 miles of interstate driving and took it to a truck garage that rents and services rv.

I tow a boat but never drove anything that big, but it was very nice once I got on the highway.

The steering seems smooth and the brakes felt strong with no pulsing. The inspection rated the brakes at 6 and the tires as new with 12.

All slideouts, stovetop, refrigerator and house ac seem to work well. The dash ac is not cold at all. I don't know if it needs charged or if It is more of an issue. The previous owner said he just ran the house ac anyways. Jacks are good with no hydraulic leaks.

If anybody can think of any other issues I should look into I would appreciate it.

One side looks new and the other is oxidized sine the original owner parked against his house and did not rotate directions. The carpet was removed in the living room/kitchen and replaced with allure ultra. The bedroom carpet will be removed and allure will be used if I purchase it.

Last question... With 40 miles and a known windshield issue that I will have repaired asap, no other obvious problems, what are similar units actually selling g for across the usa?

Thanks again
Old 06-18-2014, 03:09 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

A 33V 03 model in our community recently sold for 39K. As far as I know It was in excellent condition.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:14 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I had my windshield replaced this spring after it had developed a crack due to rust. I was very lucky. The rust was not bad. The shop I used in Fenton, MI did the rust removal and prevention free of charge. Insurance covered the windshield at 100 percent. Please do get windshield coverage should you make the purchase.

Scott
Old 06-20-2014, 09:26 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
The dash ac is not cold at all. I don't know if it needs charged or if It is more of an issue. The previous owner said he just ran the house ac anyways.
Our dash AC just went last weekend. We thought we could recharge but leak is at compressor so they are replacing. Cost is about $1K-$1.2K. Just a heads up. Even though our coach is old we want dash AC. Our roof AC is relatively new but with something so important we like the redundancy. Besides when it is really hot the roof AC just doesn't do it.
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:52 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

You can take the interior trim off around the windshield and inspect the back side of the frame the windshield is attached to. About half a dozen screws.
Enough rust to require frame replacement would be evident there.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:10 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

we came to an agreement

I want to start by thanking everyone who shares their experiences and expertise on this forum.

I came to an agreement with the seller that includes a repair of the winshield issue and a provision to cover the possibility of broken windows or more extensive body work associated with the faulty windshield.

I feel we got a good deal but there are some projects that will need attention to get it looking better.

I have to get the oxidation off one side and get it shining. The previous owner removed the carpet up front and installed Allure Ultra, but the large slide scratched the floor pretty bad. I want to replace the damaged pieces but need to be sure that it won't scratch it again. If anyone has an idea of what will work I would appreciate it.

Also the flooring needs to be continued to the bathroom and bedroom. I assume thst yhe slide issue will impact yhe bedroom slide as well, but the front slide drops fown to create a level floor so maybe its a different issue.

The dash air is not cool so I will get that charged, hopefully that's it with ac but it may be more involved. I guess I could just run the central air.

I am sure their are many projects to come but I need to take it a little at a time. This is my first RV, I have never even owned a trailer before, so I have a lot to learn.

Thanks again!
Old 06-22-2014, 10:30 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Challenger01,

Welcome to RVing. There are always things to do, either maintenance, repair or modifications, but i wouldn't change a thing about the lifestyle. We have Allure flooring too and had "Slicker or Sliders", I can't remember the name, that allowed the slide to ride on. They were OK, but now we use large floor mats, from Lowe's, that slip under the carpet edge and they work better. Our friend bouht a piece off a roll that worked well for him. It must be wider than the slide so it will never have a chance of balling up under the slide.

One common issue with the dash air is the mixing valve that is in the heater coolant line. If it doesn't shut off the hot coolant will heat the A/C air before it comes out the dash. It's under the hood beside the heater and probably behind the air damn that runs over the radiator. You can do a search for more info. Some people remove that valve and install a ball valve for positive shut off.

Good luck,
Dave

Tags
vent