Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2019, 05:03 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
I would recommend locking the dead bolt on any motorhome door when underway, as I believe it increases the chances of the door remaining closed during an accident, or heaven forbid somebody walking around and accidentally falling into the door and it pops open.
Or, when you've stopped at a light and someone decides that you're the bus they've been patiently waiting on.....
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:08 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

We use a realtor key box locked to a post off of the towing pintle. It has all keys.
Noah4448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:09 PM   #23
RV2
Winnebago Camper

This has resolved our issues with being locked out of our RV.

Hitch Safe, Key Storage Hitches, Hide Car Key, Auto Key Safe, Trailer Hitch Covers, Receivers
RV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:26 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Amazing how many give away their hiding places for spare keys. It's one thing to hide keys but why tell ANYONE including us "honest" people on this forum where you hide the keys. Magnetic box in water heater compartment? How easy for someone to find!
Camper Ken 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:32 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Ken 2 View Post
Amazing how many give away their hiding places for spare keys. It's one thing to hide keys but why tell ANYONE including us "honest" people on this forum where you hide the keys. Magnetic box in water heater compartment? How easy for someone to find!
Ahhh, yes, I agree. Didn't even think about that. I tried to find a place for a mag box several times on both my RVs but they're so big, I just know I'd forget where it is so soon that I'd never find it when I'd need it.

Oh, ya know under the bottom step might work? Opps. Never mind.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:51 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Have found that a length of black coax (antenna cable) the same length as the bottom of a single hung window can be stuffed in the bottom rubber window seal which prevents the window from latching shut.
A hook on the inside cabinet holds the key ring with spare entry keys. The window not being latched is not visible and the black coax is camouflaged in the rubber window seal. The window screen needs to have a small slit cut in it to access the bottom screen retainer pin from the outside. A ladder or stool is needed to open the window from the outside to retrieve the keys.

A added advantage is that the keys are always visible inside the coach as a reminder to take your keys with you!
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:46 PM   #27
Winnebago Watcher

How?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
How can you get locked out if you need a key to lock the door?
Easy! I got in the habit of locking the door from the inside as I walked out. Big mistake!! I locked myself out without the car keys or the Forza keys. Took 5 hours to find a locksmith that had to destroy the lock to be able to open the door.
The Forza and most of the Winnebago line, have laser cut keys. This lock can not be picked!
Lesson learned, always lock the door from the outside with the key plus I now have spare keys on a special place!
ramitchell13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:33 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

We have a "realtor's" Combination lock type of box bolted to the side wall, in one of our compartments.

The VIA has a driver's door, which opens with one of the "universal" type of RV locks. I made a block of hardwood, which keeps the lever from moving from the inside to make it more secure. The block of wood is held in place by "industrial strength" velcro. So far attempts to move it with the pass type of key have not worked. But I suspect a screwdriver and a set of Vise Grips would make fairly short order of the Door lock. I had a motor home stolen years ago--the thief just pulled the door lock and then the ignition lock and was apparently off and out of the guarded lot (cut the back fence)in less than 10 minutes.
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:20 PM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Our 2018 WBGO Sunstar locks itself if the door is slammed too hard. It is a major design flaw that allows the latch to drop down which locks the door.
T00lman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:55 PM   #30
Winnebago Watcher

Try https://www.rvlock.com/ to purchase a keyless RV lock for the RV
Sr-Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:40 AM   #31
Winnebago Master

I hide them in an OKay Key Safe on my belt or in my pocket and so far in almost 60 years I have never locked myself out.

I am never without my keys on my person unless I am in bed or in the shower/bath.

Unless I am going back and forth bringing in parcels I usually lock up when I am outside the house or coach too. Where I live Officer Friendly will wait in front of your house until he sees you if he drives by and finds your garage or any other doors open to give you a friendly reminder not to leave doors open or unlocked when your not in direct line of sight of them.

And yes for your safety especially while driving both the latch and the deadbolt need to be set on the motor home.

As for slamming the door well my mom had us pretty well trained not to do that by the time we were 4 years old. If I had a hard case adult that was slamming my RV door regularly I would be putting in a door check so they could no longer do that or if possible just ban them from my RV.

The Remote Locks are easier to break into now as thieves can open them with a code generating app on their phones that submits all the codes in a few moments or a code scalping app that just records your code when you press the button. On cars with Keyless entry with a transmitter that constantly sends a signal that automatically activates the lock when you are in proximity to it so that it opens when you pull the handle or press the button on the door handle those are even easier than the ones that you have to press the button on the fob to use since thieves can either record your signal and replay it or if your keyless remote is close enough use a signal amplifier to boost it so the locks will release such as when you are inside a building with your vehicle parked outside in a driveway or parking lot.

These high tech conveniences have not made it harder for thieves but quite the opposite.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:51 AM   #32
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2005 Winnebago Vectra. It has a keyless entry. It came from the factory with the keyless entry.
sandan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:27 AM   #33
Winnebago Owner

Put a set in the wifes purse. They never go anywhere w/o their purse.. . At least mine doesn't...
Old 08-08-2019, 12:44 PM   #34
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil-T View Post
Only the large "squared" key is required to lock, as it operates the deadbolt latch. The other lock can be operated with the little lever on the inside, i.e. locked then shut the door.
As mentioned, many parks will have the pass keys in the office. Don't ask how I know!
Hey, we just removed the little twisty knob for the striker lock. Now we have to have our key in hand to lock up. KISS!! Cheers. W.
workhorsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 09:12 AM   #35
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
How can you get locked out if you need a key to lock the door?

That's simple. You know that little red post that you push down to lock the door from the inside? Well, don't push it down when you are outside without a key and close the door. You WILL be locked out.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:41 AM   #36
NXR
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Ken 2 View Post
There are multiple reasons.

First, if I'm doing something extremely dumb someone can tell me why.

Secondly, you have to dox me, which is not that hard, and then somehow find my RV. I'll give you a hint. It's usually some place warm in the USA.

Since it's insured and I have cameras that store to "the cloud" inside it, I'm not too concerned.

We know the only CH 751 lock is the fuel filler door. The basement compartments are a different key from the main door. My wife and I (so far) have always asked each other "Do you have your keys?" when we leave. Our insurance has a locksmith option.

I sometimes leave one window unlatched and it's large enough for me to wiggle in and high enough that it would take a ladder or pulling the picnic table over. Why do I do that? The door has a history of binding and actually locked the driver inside a few times when we got to an unlevel site. The other person was outside guiding them into the spot so they just laughed.

So all risks considered, the lowest is someone targeting and locating me specifically for malicious purposes and finding a way in using information I have divulged, presuming that information is actually accurate. It's far more likely that a malicious person would simply crowbar the door open as a target of opportunity.

Life member, NRA. Maybe.
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 12:04 PM   #37
Winnebago Owner

I'll do u one better, we rarely lock ours...
Old 08-18-2019, 05:13 PM   #38
Dives2Little

We have keyless entry (digital pad on 2013 Ford F-150), so I keep a set of keys for the motorhome in the P/U-learned this lesson the expensive way... This means I own several keys for the motorhome, but it will be hard to lock oneself out!
Dives2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 06:01 AM   #39
Winnebago Owner

I always use only the deadbolt lock. Sue and I were concerned about getting locked out. Our solution: we got a real estate door lock box put the ignition, gas, and both door keys in it, used a combination we can both remember, and locked the lockbox to our ladder.

This is the URL of the lockbox. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Noah4448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 07:56 AM   #40
Winnebago Camper

rv lock does not have a keyless replacement YET. They claim they should have one around the end of the year (Although they didn't say which year!)
eaglelen is offline   Reply With Quote