Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-04-2015, 03:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Location of converter on 2000 Horizon / Journey?

Does anyone know the location of the converter on a 2000 Horizon/Journey? Not the Inverter/Charger but the converter. The wiring diagrams show the converter but no clue to the location. I have looked everywhere but I am unable to find it.
bsamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 03:57 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Page 4 of the Body, 12 Volt Wiring Installation for the 2000 Horizon 36LD shows the converter in approximately the center of the page (and also in detail CA).

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 04:07 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

You have a converter if you do not have an Inverter/Charger. Looks like it would be under the refrigerator near the circuit breaker panel. I put my converter in the electric bay in place of the Inverter/Charger, which I took out (after it fried itself).
gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:57 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfs1943 View Post
You have a converter if you do not have an Inverter/Charger. Looks like it would be under the refrigerator near the circuit breaker panel. I put my converter in the electric bay in place of the Inverter/Charger, which I took out (after it fried itself).
You know,

I was going to suggest that same thing but, I'm not schooled enough to know for sure on that one. I know for sure on my coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT, I do not have a converter. Our coach has a Magnum ME2012 Inverter/Charger.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:17 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, I was looking in the wiring diagrams rather than the installation diagrams. Page 4 did specify the location was under the refrigerator however it is not there. It is not under the shower or the vanity.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:30 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsamole View Post
Thanks, I was looking in the wiring diagrams rather than the installation diagrams. Page 4 did specify the location was under the refrigerator however it is not there. It is not under the shower or the vanity.
As gfs1943 noted earlier, if you have the optional 1500W inverter/charger you don't have a converter--the charger portion of the inverter/charger performs that function.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:15 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Mine is under the stove, just remove the drawer to get to it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:05 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

You are right! I don't have a converter. I was too busy looking at the images and following the lines on the drawing to read the legend "Inverter/Charger - DC/AC W/O". I did think it was kind of weird to have the inverter/charger convert AC to DC and the converter convert DC back to AC. Thanks!
Old 07-17-2015, 11:01 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Well this topic came up at a good time. I was just going to go look under the refrigerator and check the 2 fuses on my converter since I have been having some funny issues with the 12 volt lights going dim and then bright after using them for awhile.

I have the Freedom 1500 watt Combi Inverter/Charger. So do I have a converter or not? I was hoping I did and it was just not doing it's job but now after reading this thread I'm worried the old Inverter/Charger is about ready to go.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:06 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

You only have the inverter/charger.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 06:37 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Might be a tad of confusion over the inverter/charger and the converter. My understanding is the charger is the converter. Why would the RV have both a inverter/charger and a converter? Could be I don't have a good grasp of the phrases but ??
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 07:04 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

1ciderdog Yes the converter is a charger. Larger inverters combine the function of the converter into the inverter unit and call it an inverter/charger. I guess calling it a inverter/converter is a little confusing. All converters are single purpose, they take 110 VAC and convert it to 12 VDC for 12VDC loads in the coach and charging the batteries. Motorhomes will have one or the other but not both. Now one more point coaches with small inverters (1000 watts) like mine have a separate inverter and a separate converter.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 12:09 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

My 2000 Horizon came with a Freedom 1500 inverter/charger located near the 50A cable. I do not have a converter under the refrigerator. After a whole lot of time I finally realized how the 12V is wired. The battery bank has both - and + going to the inverter/charger. The battery bank also has a - going to ground and + going to the front of the coach. At the front of the coach their is a switch on the console that will turn on or off the 12V to the coach. If the switch is on then 12V is sent back to the 12V breaker panel under the refrigerator. 12V to the coach does not come from the inverter/charger but rather from the batteries. If your 2003 is wired like my 2000 most likely the cause of the dimming 12V is a loose connection somewhere in the line from the batteries to the solenoid activated by the console switch and back to the breaker panel under the refrigerator or a faulty solenoid. The solenoid is located under the hood and easy to find if someone depresses the switch while you are listening under the hood.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:36 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

bsamole - thank you for clearing up the very question I was going to ask! I did look under the refer and everyone is right.. no converter :-) the problem with my lights dimming doesn't start until after a hour or so of using 12 volt lights and the bedroom fan. then what happens is I hear a humming noise from the inverter/charger area and the lights go dim and bright with the noise which I assume is the charger kicking in. which makes a little sense now that I know the 12 volts come off the battery bank and the charger continually tops of the battery charge. do I have that right?

thanks
Ben
Kelm130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 12:12 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

kelm130: According to my understanding you are right on with your analysis. I do wonder about the condition of your batteries since the problem occurs after they have been drawing down for an hour or so. Also the inverter/charger is kicking in either charging the batteries or drawing down the batteries even further thinking it needed to invert. It could think it need to invert if plugged in to shore power and the volts drop below a certain level due to campground power or damaged power cord/plug or faulty inverter/charger. Lots to consider. Please let us know when you find the cause.

Tags
cat, converter, journey