Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-20-2021, 05:08 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Lithium Install Progress

Lithium install is about 99% complete.
Removed 6x100ah AGM batteries and replaced them with 4-170ah LifePO4 batteries.
Relocated them from the open basement storage compartment to a side area next to my large sliding tray. Clean and dry.
Pulled all the main cables back through to shorten them, used a couple bus bars to connect the batteries in parallel, and installed the Victron blue tooth shunt for monitoring.

I wanted to get them in and functioning before I go to phase 2, adding coach solar.

2014 Journey
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB6365AF-063B-4626-BD63-4B4498F101A1.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	300.4 KB
ID:	177412  
Caymanedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:12 PM   #2
Site Team

Wow, good looking install.

Keep us informed.
Old 02-20-2021, 10:21 PM   #3
Winnebago Vita 24P

That looks great, did you change the converter also? or was it Lithium compatable?
Old 02-21-2021, 05:50 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I did not change the inverter/charger. I have a Magnum MS2812 which is lithium compatible. There are instructions in the manual and remote, ME-MR, manual to set-up lithium. However, the ME-MR dummy remote does not work so I have to replace it with a ME-ARC display. Something to do with it shutting off charging at too low of a voltage for lithium. Anyway, that's $200 I had not planned on.

I left the coach yesterday with all kinds of lights and stuff on so I can run the batteries down and see how it performs. Was drawing 7amps.

I also installed the Victron Smart Shunt to monitor via bluetooth, except when my phone snoozes or I close the basement doors it cuts off. Disappointed with that.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:01 AM   #5
Site Team

Caymanedge, I changed out my Magnum Me-mr display for the ME-ARC50 a couple of years ago. First, it’s a super easy install. It’s as simple as plugging in a phone cord. The only tricky part is making up for the size difference.

The ARC-50 comes with an adapter so you don’t have to enlarge the mounting hole in the “tech cabinet”. But I chose to enlarge the hole with a small drywall saw.

There are many pluses to the more capable remote. Your inverter is very configurable but you can only really configure it with the ARC family of monitors.

One very helpful new control you’ll have is a charger off on switch. The MR controller doesn’t have one the ARC does.

Sometimes when your batteries don’t need charging and you need amps for another purpose being able to put the charger in standby is a real help.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:10 AM   #6
Site Team

I would also assume you have the Precision Circuits Powerline power management center in your tech cabinet. On my 2017 motorhome this has a connection to the Magunum inverter that can make the inverter work like the hybrid inverter models, supplying inverted power to your coach when needed but on limited shore power.

My MH came setup like that. But, I don’t know if yours did as well.
Old 02-21-2021, 04:32 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Yes I have the Precision Circuits setup too.

What are you guys using for data display overall?
The Victron Smart Shunt Bluetooth is a bust. They have a GX Touch 50 display that looks awesome, but it’s another $200 and I’m not sure where or how I’d mount it.
Is the Magun ME-ARC enough to report back on the Lithium? Charge levels, rates, usage etc? Thanks
Old 02-21-2021, 05:28 PM   #8
Site Team

First, why is the Smart Shunt a bust? I found it had weak Bluetooth but another $49 for the wifi dongle solved that and there is the option of getting the big brother Victron 712 BT it has strong bluetooth.

With the ARC you can add a Magnum ME-BMK and have the battery monitor on your inside display, but not bluetooth.

I actually have both the ME-BMK and the Smart shunt. You just connect the Magnum BMK wires that would go to the magnum shunt to the Victron Smart shunt and that way you have both.

But because of the bluetooth being readable anywhere inside (with the dongle attached) I rarely even look at the Magnum BMK on the display. I do it every once and while and they are always matching.

The only reason I have both is I purchased and installed the Magnum BMK first and then bought the Victron Smart Shunt. Rather than sell the ME-BMK I just connected it to the Victron's shunt.
Old 02-21-2021, 05:55 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Can you provide the details of the WiFi Dongle?
Part number and how you mounted it?
Old 02-21-2021, 06:17 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
First, why is the Smart Shunt a bust? I found it had weak Bluetooth but another $49 for the wifi dongle solved that and there is the option of getting the big brother Victron 712 BT it has strong bluetooth.
I bought the 712 based on your BT experience with the Smart Shunt.

Like Caymanedge, I am a little disappointed that BT disconnects once your phone screen goes off or even if you switch to another app for a moment. The app should continue to run in the background as long as you are within BT range in order to continue logging and monitoring. I should be able to monitor a full charge or discharge cycle without locking my phone open and not be able to use it for anything else. Maybe Victron will fix this in the future, but for now, if I want to monitor for more than a short period, I use a dedicated tablet and set the screen to stay on.
Old 02-21-2021, 06:37 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

This exactly. The blue tooth stinks.
The dongle I found has like a 10’ cable. Does it need to be mounted inside the coach? Also, how did you overcome the phone shutdown or cutout when using other apps?
Old 02-21-2021, 07:11 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymanedge View Post
This exactly. The blue tooth stinks.
The dongle I found has like a 10’ cable. Does it need to be mounted inside the coach? Also, how did you overcome the phone shutdown or cutout when using other apps?
https://www.amazon.com/Victron-Energ.../dp/B01CGFF8Q2

I mounted it high on a chassis rail near the battery compartment. It simply plugs into the smart shunt's data port. No other wiring is needed. It works great for me and I can read the bluetooth anywhere inside and outside the coach.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:44 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Cool thanks.
Did you find a way to leave the recording on? Mine stops whenever the phone goes dark or I use another app.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:53 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymanedge View Post
Cool thanks.
Did you find a way to leave the recording on? Mine stops whenever the phone goes dark or I use another app.
The Trends? No, that only works when the screen is active. I don’t find that useful.
Old 02-28-2021, 06:32 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Big Battery Placement

Did you have to modify the Big Battery connector system to get the batteries this close together? Did you upsize the Anderson connector wire sizes?
orangeminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 06:34 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

No I used Anderson parallel cables, 6awg I think, and ran them to a busbar. Then I ran 4/0 from the busbar to the inverter.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:30 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Try moving you bluetooth transmitter around a little. A small change could make a big difference.

That space looks familiar, that's where I put my LiFePO4 batteries.

I really wanted to use the original space but getting it enclosed, heated, and cooled was to complicated.

This is what my install looks like before and after wiring the batteries.

In the background are the 3 charge controllers for my 2KW solar array.
This is a great location because all of the high amp cable runs are just about as short as they could be. The three red switch are cut off for the three groups of 4 panels on the roof.

I don't have a picture but I took the cover that was over the inverter next to the batteries and repurposed it to enclose the batteries.

I went with LifeBlue batteries which have detailed BMS data for each battery. I can get bluetooth around the dinette/kitchen/bath area but not in the bedroom of the front of the coach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080482.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	177576   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080553.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	177577  

cruizerEd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:47 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Wow nice setup
How did you run your PV wires?
I am debating on two places.

Running them through the rear body cap, down the back by the radiator and under to the controller next to batteries in basement. This method requires zero roof penetrations.

Trying to fish them through the main control panel area in the center of the coach. The problem here is they go down and then head back and getting them dishes through looks like a challenge. Plus a roof penetration.

Thanks
Old 03-01-2021, 09:18 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

I came down the chase where the gray tank vent comes down.

The combiner boxes you use will provide a great seal over the hole so no worries there.

The space is right behind and next to your box with your thermostats, one place, inverter remote etc. You can pull that panel out easily and that will help fish down from the roof and into the basement. It is pretty easy to disassemble the bathroom cabinet to get at the bottom of the space. There is already a big hole in the floor there.

It is a great space for pulling wire and isn't too hard to fish into the basement.
While you are fishing wire down to the basement you can easily fish any new wires from your solar charge controller up. You could even pull you current bluetooth transmitter up there and mount it behind the wall.

It will minimize your wire lengths from the panels to the charge controllers.

I moved my thermostats outside that box to make room for the Magnum IPN remote. I put my Blue Sky remote under the thermostat. This works very well, they aren't obtrusive and you access them a lot so not having the door in the way helps.

Even after 5 years I still get a kick out of seeing the batteries soaking up 100A of free energy so having the charge status always on display in the hallway is, shall we say, entertaining ;-)

The space where my controllers are is a PITA to work in but you can assemble all of it on a board and then just install the board with all the wires hooked up. The downside is that if you have to pull anything you have two choices, pull it all apart, or work in the cramp space on the problematic component.

The upside which I think is worth it is they take up zero useful space, stay reasonably cool and can be accessed visually from the wet locker door. I can easily just reach in and disconnect them. If you put them where you batteries are then you have to open both sides of the coach, pull the tray to one side and crawl in the other, duck under the slide mechanism, scrape your back on the latch mechanism, bump your head on one of the protruding self tapping screws, and then do it all over again because you forgot something. Not that that has ever happened to me.

If you want any sort of help with solar etc I'll be glad give you the benefit of all of my mistakes that I have discovered so far.

PM me and I'll give you me email.
cruizerEd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:50 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Thanks. I have not had the bath vanity portion out to access below, but when I look around in basement the wiring seems to go down and then back a ways before emerging.

The controller is already mounted near the batteries so I just need to run the wires up at this point.

I swapped out the ME-MC Magnum remote for the ME-ARC50 already in the same spot.
Great idea on the blue tooth. I did order the extension so maybe I'll try and run that up behind the display panels too.

Totally with you on seeing the charge rate. I want it live and easy accessible so I know the status of my system 24/7.

Tags
install