Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2020, 04:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Lippert slide will not open 38Q 2015 Suncruiser

Everything was working fine this morning leaving Tn. on our way to Florida. Stopped for the night here in Valdosta and the wall slide will unlock but nothing happens when I try to open the slide.ciuld it be a fuse as we've been in torrential rains all day?? If so, does anyone know where it is. This is not the one with the guides so I am assuming it's hydronic? This one is new to us but this is the first time for trouble with this slide.
Any suggestions?
shaneotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 06:35 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Just to add to my initial post, this is a 2015 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q and the slide is the dinette/refrigerator hydraulic slide. Our jacks are working good (for now)and we are 2 days into a 3 week trip south. There is no sound or movement whatsoever from the slide but the lock works. I can unlock and relock the slide no problem, but when I push the out button, there is nothing. We are a bit unlevel on our site for the night but not too terrible off level....I've seen worse, a lot worse! Anyway, if anyone has a suggestion how to salvage this marvelous 3 week trip, please feel free to share!! We have a site waiting for us in Naples so there is no going back now.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:34 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I'm sorry that I don't know your specific rig - but hope this helps. Find the slide controller - possibly located in the storage compartment below the slide out, mounted to the ceiling. Check to see if you have power to that controller, flashing lights (which mean something), tight connections, etc,

There are fuse blocks in your rig - something should be labeled 'slide outs' on the 12V side. Yes - it's possible that you've had some water intrusion (and the motors are sensitive to that) but chances are small that both motors are affected.

Let us know how it goes, and recommend you post also on the IRV2 main site.
Old 03-04-2020, 05:34 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Down at a Cracker Barrell for the night. Will be at the park tomrrow and will hunt for the controller. Thanks...fingers crossed.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:10 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Hi. Really sorry for you. We had a similar issue on our Adventurer about 10 years ago. As far as I understand there is no sign that the motors are working? No humming nothing?

First take it easy, it's better when the slide is not going out than stucking mecanically with going in. It's annoying but I guess it will not be a real big issue. it will be a fuse or a circuit braker.

You find the wiring diagrams on the winnebago side: https://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram..._j38q_wire.htm (should be the 2015 Suncruiser 38Q)

Quick tip: There are circuit breakers at the panel under the battery disconnect switch. There are two plugs and 4 breakers labeled "Slide Out" (on the left side, as far as I know). Hope that this will help you.

If yes, I'm happy as you are. Looking to the wiring diagrams too, there will be other fuses, controllers and breakers (I don't have that in my mind anymore). Just be aware: If it happens only once (mostly the case) everything is ok. But if that happens often, you have to check the slide concerning water-intrusion or a defective cable somwhere "out in the field" (and there you are right: this is worst case, but keep thinking positive).
cj_calva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:26 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Well we found the circuit breakers.. We followed the manuals instructions to disconnect the chassis batteries and wait a minute. Reconnect them and try the slide again. All to no avail. There are no codes being thrown. Actually nothing. However, the locking mechanism for the slide works. Isn't that strange!! We are going to call Lippert in the morning and hopefully speak with a tech to see if there is anything else we have missed doing before giving up and calling repair service. You are certainly correct in your assumption that the slide being stuck in, is a ton better than being stuck out!! The Schwinteck slide on the opposite side is working just fine so we have room inside the lounge area. Heck, it's the same amount of room we had with our first narrow body 1989 Sunrise. Of course it didn't cost as much but that's progress for ya!! Will keep you posted. Now to get that HDMI Matrix to work...oh well....
Thanks again for the link to the electrical info. Safe journeys.
Shaneotr
Old 03-06-2020, 08:37 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Shaneotr, What is the 7th letter of the serial number. Is it a 1 or a 2.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 09:04 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Here is the manual for a Suncruiser with a 1 in the serial number:

Manual

Do a search on Slideout in the manual and everything you never wanted to know is there.

My past experience with Winnebago slides.

There is a master room lock for the slides that has a key in it. It is labeled off and on. Trust me on this, on does not necessarily mean that the key is all the way to the detent position. Turn the key off and then back on again. Some one could have bumped it. Try try the slide.

You definitely have to clear the drain slide lock. It is on the outside of the MH. Looks like a little dimple with a hole in it near the top of the MH. A pipe cleaner or smaller diameter item will work.
Also, up in the cabinet will be the slide lock. if it is a very long slide there may be two of them near each end. If there is any debris, or there is a malfunction of that lock the slide will not open.

Remove the plastic cover over the slide lock. Have someone press the unlock button and see which way the shaft turns when unlocking. With a pair of channel locks or vice grips see if you can turn that bar in the same direction of unlocking. If it moves a little, try the slide again. Also inside the plastic case check the bolts and washers. I had a bolt that was to long that the motor shaft was rubbing against and caused a lock washer to split in half. Lot of power on those little motors.

After my fix fo the broken lock washer I never used the lock switch again except one time in a high diagonal wind that wanted to move the slide a little. The wind was about 45 mph. Next time I'll stop instead of continuing on.

Just a few suggestions that you may have already tried.
Old 03-07-2020, 10:04 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Here is the update. Our slide is working great. I called Lippert and spoke with Tom who deducted that because our jacks were working just fine, he suspected the actual control panel inside the coach. I had a bit of trouble with it in the past. Had to wiggle the pressure on the button occasionally to keep it moving in or out. Went to North Trails RV this morning and got a new switch panel, and voila!!! The slide went out perfectly. The switch, who knew!! Thank you for all your assistance. I now know more about the electrical system than I ever wanted to, and I hope I never have to use this knowledge again. Safe Travels to you all!
shaneotr Happy Itasca owner
Old 03-13-2020, 04:49 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the update.
Old 03-22-2020, 03:27 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Glad you got it working! Yay! The Thor we just got rid of would pop a small relay hidden in the "snake pit" of wiring under the bed. We had to pay $120 to an RV shop while on vacation to find it.
99dart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lippert, slide, suncruiser