Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Light covers on Meridian 42E

I have replaced several overhead overhead light bulbs. I know that they turn counterclockways for removal. I have had some problems with removing them but always succeded. Now I have one that won't move. I even tried smacking it with my hand----didn't work. I know about the rubber jar opener trick. Any suggestions? I'm stuck!
Old 11-08-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have found that some of ours pop off when overtightened, as well as when loosened.
If it wont budge counter-clockwise, try clockwise.
Worst case it breaks & you have customer service send you a replacement..
Good luck.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:48 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

On mine the spring loaded locks are located fore and aft in the fixture. You can check and see where yours are. I would try spraying some silicone spray with the small tube inserted under the lens in that area and see if that helps.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:03 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Silicone Spray Might Help!

We are new 2012 Winnebago Journey 42E owners, still struggling through warranty issues. We had the shower light go out and were unable to remove the cover to even see what was going on. Hillsboro Camping World somehow removed it, said it was a burned out lightbulb (after only 4 months?), put the cover back on, and told us we'd probably always have trouble getting it off. Thanks for nothing. I like the idea of putting some silicone spray on the threads. Too bad Camping World didn't think of that before they put it back on ....
mrskron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finhawk View Post
I have replaced several overhead overhead light bulbs. I know that they turn counterclockways for removal. I have had some problems with removing them but always succeded. Now I have one that won't move. I even tried smacking it with my hand----didn't work. I know about the rubber jar opener trick. Any suggestions? I'm stuck!
Finhawk,
I'm assuming you may have already solved your problem by now but, just in case you haven't, those light "covers" can be quite stubborn at times. I've had to use a large set of channel lock pliers with cloth over the teeth to protect the outer circumference from too much bite. But, that ALWAYS worked on the stubborn ones.

Now, should you or, anyone else reading this post break one, you don't have to call the manufacture to get a replacement. Here's the exact light, from Camping World.
Halogen Lights - Product - Camping World

Those lights come in a variety of lens/bezel colors so, you'll just check the the down drop arrow to see which one matches the style/color you have.

But, those light covers, have two, very small, shallow, "tabs" that are formed in to the outer circumference. Those two tabs, line up with two slots when installing them. You line them up, push up and twist about 10 degrees or so. There's no need to twist it any further. It just makes it a lot harder to get off the next time. And, since 100% of them are equipped with 10 watt Halogen bulbs from the factory, they get seriously hot and, that sort of effectively "melds" them together, not completely but, close. That's why they get real hard to remove. That and the fact that sometimes the ceiling upholstery has lots of pressure on the top section of the bezel. Hope this helps you or anyone else here.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Hey Fireup-----see my post on solutions.
Thanks for the ideas tho
Old 11-16-2012, 08:55 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finhawk View Post
Hey Fireup-----see my post on solutions.
Thanks for the ideas tho
Finhawk,
Are you referring to the one that ends with the jar opener and "any suggestions" ? If so, yep, that's what I was responding to. If you've got other posts on remedies for removing those bezels, I've not seen it, sorry.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:07 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Be sure you dont touch the bulbs when replacing them. Any skin oil left on them will cause them to blow out in short order.
Rubber gloves seem to work good.
We went through 5 bulbs before we realized this. None since.