Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-13-2021, 08:49 AM   #1
Itasca Ellpse 42 QD 2015

Leveling system on Itasca Ellipse 42 QD

Recently I have observed that when I turn on the ignition even in storage without the jacks having been previously down I am getting a red light with the jacks down signal. I dismiss this by turning the auto leveling system on and doing a retract. when finished the light goes out.
I have had a right side jack replaced and the pressure checked at the pump which is in range of the manufacturers specs but all of this has not cleared the issue. The pressure switch was also checked and seems to be in order.
Has anyone any idea what could be the problem. It does not stop me from traveling but I am worried that at some stage that thing will let loose when I am going down the road. naturally I have been in touch with the manufacturer who has been advising the tech involved but it seems that they want to throw parts at the thing without convincing me what is the solution.
Any advice would be welcomed
Capt mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 04:54 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

When you check and the red light is on, walk around the motorhome and look at each jack and see which one is down a little bit and that will be your problem. ON our motorhome over a period of 3-5 years old, we had to replace 3 of the 4 jacks because they would leak down and when traveling would get a jacks down alarm. They must have had a bad batch, since replacing the 3 jacks have had no more issues.
Old 05-14-2021, 10:47 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

There are two different ways to get that signal as there are two different builders for the jacks in most cases.
One uses a switch on the jacks to sense when they are up. But this microswitch out there near the jack tends to go bad due to all the weather it has. A jack creeping down may bring this type on.

The second method uses a switch to sense when the fluid in the reservoir goes down as the jacks extend. This type may come on too soon if the fluid in the reservoir gets a bit low. I cure mine when this happens by adding fluid!

I have Lippert jacks and I do have a small leak/ooze at the reservoir which shows up as it makes a small stain on the ground while stored. My jacks do not come down enough for me to see any change but the fluid level does change and bring on the alarm.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 11:07 AM   #4
Itasca Ellpse 42 QD 2015

Thank you Paul. I did replace one jack and have checked around but all others seem fine. I am going to check that switch again. I hope it isn't the hydraulic lines throughout the coach because that could be expensive to find and fix. Again thanks.
Old 05-14-2021, 11:09 AM   #5
Itasca Ellpse 42 QD 2015

Richard Thank you for taking the time to try to help. I have Lippert equipment and I am going to get to that switch as soon as I can. But the fluid reservoir is full and I have installed a new jack that was leaking. Keep me posted if you fins any other answers. again thanks.
Old 05-14-2021, 10:07 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

On my last MH that switch on each of the jacks was called at "Reed Switch" made for Kwikee jack system. A reed switch is a magnetic switch so as stated, if the any jack is showing silver then that reed switch is not making contact and an alarm will sound, or if the switch is bad.

What year is your MH? Who manufactured the jacks?

When my 2015 sits in storage for a few months, when I turn on the ignition the jacks down light lights and the bell dings. I just turn on the controller and do a "retract." Don't have to worry about it for another few monts. When we are on the road, the extending and retracting when we travel takes care of it.

I'm not going to go into my long story but in my 2008 Winnebago Destination 39W I went 10 years with the jack alarm dinging - and was doing it going down the road. I put a toggle switch on the power wire to the controller and it stopped the alarm. The jacks never extended more than 1 to 2 inches. Technician said the the pressure would not let them fall unless total pressure was lost.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca, leveling