Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2021, 06:49 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Leveling Jacks 1997 Winnebago Suncrusier

I have a 1997 winnebago suncrusier and the leveling jacks will not extend. All the lights on the control panel come on as they should but the jacks will not extend. Also the slide out will not extend which i know will not work unless the leveling system is not extended.
Plankford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 10:42 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

What brand of hydraulic system do you have? If it's HWH, there could be a ground problem. Everything seems to be in order but when you try to drop the jacks or extend the slides, nothing works. Lights don't even dim on the control. And you can't hear the motor running, in most cases.

Up until '04, you'd likely find Winnie did use HWH and the hydraulic manifold was usually under the living room slide. After '04 you'd find the manifold under the stairs. Follow the motor noise to find yours. When working on that manifold with all the wires, tank, and the hydraulic solenoids, note that you can't see the ground wires. Those are underneath the manifold where you can't see them, all the wires have ring terminals and they're all attached to a bolt welded onto the frame/chassis. That assembly often rusts and corrodes so the system won't run. Quick test is to reach under there with a rubber mallet and whack them and see if the system comes back on.

Here's what mine looks like, followed by the stud where all the grounds are connected. As I said, it's underneath, have to crawl under to work on it...

When my system had intermittent problems, I localized it to that ground stud, but it snapped off when I tried to remove the bolt. So drilled new holes, cleaned all the ring terminals, than reattached them to two new SS screws I'd threaded into the frame.

One other problem of note to that sort of setup is the big 40 amp inline fuse HWH required very near the manifold. Those can corrode out too so check that while you're under there.

If you have a different style setup, maybe post a picture?

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 12:47 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I will check Thanks and have a blessed daay
Old 06-24-2021, 08:17 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I have nothing under my stairs except my batteries. If it is under the slide i cannot get to it. Is there a way to let the slide out manually?
Old 06-24-2021, 08:27 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

In my '02, all I have to do to access the entire top of the manifold is open the basement compartment door. There's a big hole under that door that gives access. And those grounds on my rig are where I showed them in the picture above. UNDER the manifold. So you have to crawl under the RV to access them.

Old 06-24-2021, 08:50 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Sorry to be so dumb but what are you calling the basement door. I have had my rv less than a month so i am pretty lost on this stuff.
Old 06-24-2021, 09:08 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Basement doors are the door panels on the outside lower area of the RV. Where you store stuff, where your waterheater and furnace's are, where the generator is. What I meant was that in MY RV, the living room slide has a door on the outside under where the dinette is, that when opened reveals the manifold, even if the slide is retracted.

Watch this video to familiarize yourself with your RV. On the first search page they show me a $1400 flight from Walla Walla (near my location); whereas Bing shows me a $1200 flight from SAVANNA. And that's below the fold.

Crawl under the trailing edge of your slide and look up...my money is on the manifold being behind that small door. If you hear a motor running when you try to use the jacks or operate the slides, THATs the hydraulic motor and that's where the manifold is.

But I've never owned that model, you have to find it on your own.

Old 06-24-2021, 09:33 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks a bunch
Old 06-30-2021, 08:08 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Of course start with the basics such as ensuring that the parking brake is set so that any interlock between the parking brake and jack controller won't be preventing them from activating. A failed or out of adjustment parking brake switch can also prevent jacks from deploying if the coach has that safety feature.
Old 06-30-2021, 08:51 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

HWH Jacks

I found the solenoid and pump under the right side between the propane tank and the rear wheels. The problem was the positive wire on the the motor was loose and had grounded against the ground wire and burnt the ground stud off. Replaced the ground stud in the motor and re-attached ground. Good as new. Sorry I had to replace the solenoid because it also had gotten to hot and contacts had got to hot and broke off when I tried to remove wires.Thanks and have a blessed day.

Tags
jacks, leveling, winnebago, leveling jacks