Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2018, 12:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Leveling Jack drifting down

Has anyone had issues with the leveling jacks drifting down causing an alarm? In the cold the other day we could see it drift down on the right front. We would retract, and it would drift down again until we deployed all the jacks a few times then retracted them.

This has haunted us for a year, but just now figured out where it was drifting down. The fluid is full when retracted. Ours is a 2013 Meridian and I think they are LCI jacks.
Meridian42e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:38 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Only thing I can think of that might cause that would be a bad hydraulic valve and atmospheric pressure forcing fluid to the jack. Sounds farfetched but it has to be something, right?

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:01 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We have had the same issue with multiple jacks over the last 5 years, having already replaced the Driver side Front and Passenger rear jack and now our passenger front is starting to act up. We have found that putting pressure on the jack that is acting up and then retracting seems to allow to stay up. We have also changed routine from auto retract, to retract rear first, then front and about 99% of time we don't have the issue of jack losing pressure and dropping.

The other trick we have learned, order jack from Litchinn, they are way less than at LCI.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:56 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I have never had the problem of the jacks drifting down, but one thing I would check would be this. In the manual it states there is a valve to manually retract the jacks. I would check that that valve is turned tight in the correct direction. I would think that if it wasn't closed tight, it might leak thru. I got the full manual online. Just guessing.
vanmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:39 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Wow! I could write a book on our previous 2008 Destination about the jacks.

Mine started out with the alarm not shutting off. Fixed that with a toggle switch. (If interested contact me)

Had the drift, first left front jack. Repair place switched the hoses and right front slowly drifted down.

To shorten this. Pump replaced - all solenoids replaced - 3 of the 4 jacks replaced (4th would have been but Hurricane Harvey hit) So basically I had a new system and the right front still drifted down. Mine were Kwikee (made by LCI I think)

LCI said, take a turkey baster and suck out some hydraulic fluid. Have someone hold a paper towel and strain the fluid through the paper towel. See if there is any residue left on the towel. Sometimes rust, dirt, sand, etc., will get in the system and find its way to the seals. A little grit on the seal and it will cause a leak. If residue is seen have the system flushed and new fluid put in.

Don't know if this is your problem, just thinking out loud.

p.s., this went on for over 8 years and many things were tried. Last time we were out with it the jack held - go figure.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:36 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I was thinking it might be the solenoid valve, but it could also be the jack itself? Would that be from a leak inside the jack (0-ring)?
Old 02-14-2018, 06:01 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

There is a test procedure to check if the internal valve/seal has failed.
My understanding is the valve that holds the fluid switches back and forth depending on direction and has to hold to keep jack up and when that starts leaking, that is what causes the drift. On both of my failures it was the jack that was losing pressure.
I have attached the document on checking the jack.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf LCI Jacks - Hydraulic Cylinder Test.pdf (481.5 KB, 172 views)
Old 02-17-2018, 09:35 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks a bunch for the LCI instructions Paul. I did find the solenoids (all on a block on top of the pump. I guess I'll need to look for a a red block to figure out which hose is the "extend hose" on the jack itself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture 1.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	169257   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture 3.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	169258  

Old 02-18-2018, 06:36 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Here is an owners manual that includes some nice pictures and which jack is plumbed to valve.
I also seem to recall that each hose has a tag on it to tell you where it was headed.
You can also make sure each hose is tight.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Lippert Jacks Owners Manual2.pdf (1.60 MB, 157 views)
Old 02-18-2018, 07:44 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Paul! That is much more clear with the pics and schematics.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:27 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

One of the probable causes mentioned in the manual is the Valve Manual Override Open. Thanks for the manual. Saved it for future references.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling