Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2020, 08:39 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Level alarms on while driving but jacks are up

2018 Forza 34T. All jacks are up but jack alarms on dash and level pad are going off and all lights on level pad are blinking. Alarms go off for a second while making a hard right turn but then come back on. What I've read so far suggests that hydraulic fluid is needed especially as levels won't go down. Had it storage for 6 weeks with jacks down. After bringing them up, started driving and alarms went off (dash light has a tendency to stay on but usually goes off pretty quick). If it needs fluid, how do I get to the place to fill it, what kind of fluid is needed and where can I get it on a Sunday? Thanks for any help!
jgcarter56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:31 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

On my 2018 INTENT, the Lippert system calls for ATF Dexron III or Mercon 5. You can buy that at any auto parts, gas station, etc.

You should be able to find the pump easily in an outside access panel. The same as filling a clutch reservoir or similar on a car, unscrew the lid and look for a fill line. No more than 1/2” from top if no line is visible.

This info can also be found in the large binder “Operator’s Manual Supplement” that should have come with the RV.

Good luck!
Old 08-16-2020, 07:13 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

There was another thread on this within about the past two months. I'd try Googling "alarm" to try to find it, just in case they discovered some other potential cause, because as I recall they did figure it out. I just don't remember the cause, sorry.
Old 08-16-2020, 08:08 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I've checked the operator's manual and supplemental manuals and they help a little but not enough. The operator's manual for the 34T says that the hydraulic oil reservoir is located inside the passenger side compartment front of the entry door. I'm not quite sure what that means. There is a passenger side compartment door in front of the entrance door but what I remember, that is where the passenger side gas fill is. I'm guessing there is more there than that?

Also, I still haven't found what type is ATF is recommended, but I'll keep looking.
Old 08-16-2020, 08:22 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Looking at front right side near door, tank and pump are in yellow. Most any transmission fluid you are likely to find is okay. I think it is a case of there being a float switch in the tank that alarms when fluid is out in the jacks, so that the level is low, then shuts off alarm when fluid comes back in as jacks are up. So a low level makes the alarm thinks jack down when cornering and fluid moves away from the float switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jacktank.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	174638  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:46 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Found the reservoir in the compartment just in front of the entry door below the passenger side gas fill cap. Cleaned the outside of the reservoir and think I see a fill line and the level of the fluid looks low. Wiped off the fill cap and the liquid is red so I'm assuming that the fluid is red ATF. Anymore to it than that?
Old 08-16-2020, 09:21 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

That’s all. Get some Dexron III auto transmission fluid and give it a go.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:43 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks! Just the info I need.
Old 08-16-2020, 10:44 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Added the Dexron and everything seems to be working. Yay! Thanks to everyone for the help.
Old 08-24-2020, 01:26 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Had exactly the same problem after about 4 years of full-timing. Easily solved with the addition of fluid as you have found.

However, the concern is, why was the fluid low? We didn't have any leaks, but found out later, we were getting little bubbles of fluid in the outer covering of the hydraulic lines that went from the pump to the leveler cylinders. The problem continued somewhat, and was even noticed during our oil change. 14 months later, we stopped at Forest city, and along with a few other things, had Winnebago replace all the lines.

5 years later, no more alarms, perhaps the first lines were defective?
Old 08-24-2020, 08:23 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Sometimes all it takes is a jack to lower a little to set off the alarms...
Old 08-25-2020, 04:18 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

We had this same problem with our 2019 Forza 34T in Golden, Co in late July. Went to Auto Zone and got hydraulic Jack Fluid to add. The key is to keep the fluid in the reservoir full to the top when the jacks are up. Now I carry a bottle to cover this situation. There's so much to learn and reading the manuals up front only took me so far. Experience has been the best teacher.
Old 08-25-2020, 01:16 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Jack Springs

Don't have a Winnie but a Newmar...
When I bought it the Alarm went off on our trip back home...
It Screamed & was driving me nuts as I had no idea what it was for...
My dash also had disconnected in the back of the dash cluster so I had no visual indication...
After I made the trip to South Carolina from Texas I lost a Jack Foot & spring..
Turned out the the stock jack springs were weak, had to replace all of them...
Good idea to wipe the jack shafts & lube lightly if they have been down for a long period of time...
Bob

KE5FTF...Bob & Kathy
Bmaintz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 04:22 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie M View Post
We had this same problem with our 2019 Forza 34T in Golden, Co in late July. Went to Auto Zone and got hydraulic Jack Fluid to add. The key is to keep the fluid in the reservoir full to the top when the jacks are up. Now I carry a bottle to cover this situation. There's so much to learn and reading the manuals up front only took me so far. Experience has been the best teacher.
Assuming you have HWH jacks, check your owners manual or HWH's website. As I remember reading you do NOT want to put Hydraulic Fluid in the system unless it is HWH's specific brand (expensive) that they sell. Most every one uses Dexron and I think that is even the motorhome mfg when they assemble the RV.
Quote:
What kind of fluid should I use in my system?

The use of HWH Specialty Hydraulic Oil is recommended but Dexron or multipurpose transmission fluids can be used if necessary. DO NOT use hydraulic jack oil, brake fluid, or power steering fluid.
http://www.hwhcorp.com/ml20673aafaq....nanceQuestions
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks