Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-28-2022, 01:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Left Slide Won't Lock

While prepping for a trip, we discovered that the driver-side slide out doesn't lock. It was unlocked sitting in the driveway (while slide was out), and after sliding in, lock isn't engaging (don't hear the typical whirling sound). The passenger side works fine.

I've checked the fuses in the battery compartment (passenger-side, rear) and the fuses in the front, driver side compartment.

While I've done quite a bit of work on the the rig, but I have not had to "play" with the slide functionality. I don't even know where the locks and mechanisms are located.

Any ideas to trouble shoot/repair? Other experiences?

I would also appreciate any guidance for the location of the locking mechanisms and how to access them. 2009 Journey 34Y.

Thank you!
S.T.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 01:44 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Update: When we moved the RV to our "staging area" for convenient packing, the locking mechanism worked as it should. Loose wire? Thoughts? Thank you.
Old 09-28-2022, 02:41 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Dug out a few starter bits to help find things!
First is this drawing for the 12Volt system on your RV, if you want to go to the original:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_166497.pdf

Click these snips to get a better view.

Scrolling way down to sheet 7 (Sheet 17 if going by the numbering at top assigned by the computer?) about where C and 7 would cross, we find the gizmos I think will be needed.

Electrical schematic

Click image for larger version

Name:	slide 3.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	184244

Not having the RV on hand, I'm missing some vital points like how many slides and how many latches on each slide, so do some thinking on that! Am I seeing one long slide with two latches? Or is it two slides with one each?

For location of the motors, I find this drawing:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...y_electric.pdf
Sheet 2 with detailed info on sheet 4.

Motor location?

Name:	slide1.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	283.6 KB
ID:	184242

Winnebago has a label system for the wires to help ID them as this example:

Name:	f wire id.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	184245

Use this chart to decode the wire ID you find:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ical_guide.pdf

Notice on sheet four there are two ID on detail DJ? RRS and SSP?
Those are part of the switch circuit to stop the slide latch, If I'm reading correctly!
That is the physical picture of things that relate back to sheet 7 where you find the same wire ID.
Then, if needed, one has to chase the wiring back far enough to find where it doesn't get the battery and ground it needs to work! But that is only "assuming" it is an electrical problem and it may also just be a mechanical problem of something that needs lube, etc. !!!

See if that gets you started?
If pressed we can go back further toward the battery on the wiring but that gets into lots of info that may not be needed with some luck, so let's not sweat that end just yet, if you find it at the parts shown here.

Let us know if it works or if we need to dig deeper!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	slide 2.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	184243  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 02:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

OH yes! While I'm typing it fixed itself! Good deal with lots less work!
I'm guessing it may have been just a slight twist in the slide movment?
If I read this right,there are small motors which move a "hook" like gizmo and that may have been binding a bit.

Maybe gremlins sleep in the afternoon?
Old 09-28-2022, 04:27 PM   #5
Site Team

Don’t take my word for anything legitimate… honest. But someone told me that the electric slide locks fail pretty regularly and can prohibit you from extending a slide. They said they had stopped using the lock entirely.

I used my lock religiously for the first four years I owned my RV. But after he told me this I decided to take a risk and stop using it at all. After a full year of not using the lock I have had no problems to show for it.

Search for failed slideout locks on www.irv2.com you’ll find plenty of others doing the same.

NOTE! If you try this and have problems while driving… don’t blame me. I know nothing!!
Old 09-29-2022, 05:40 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We had issues after a few years and found these bulletins and had them repaired and have not had an issue since.
Old 09-29-2022, 07:13 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Thank You!!

I am amazed by the responses you all provided. Morich, I can't thank you enough.

Since the lock is currently working, I'm going to shift back to some other tasks. I will update this post once I start trouble shooting.

By the way, I did a search of the Forum to see if I could find info before starting this thread. There are posts going back to 2011 that indicate people aren't locking their slides when travelling. I tried to reply to see if that practice continued over the years to learn about the results, but the thread was too old to reply. Are there RVers with extensive experience (say, over 30,000 miles) who haven't locked slides? Any issues?

This forum and its posters are amazing! I've got another issue that is really tripping me up, and I'll start a thread on that topic... since the expertise you all share is so helpful. Thanks again.
Old 09-29-2022, 07:51 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I have no experience with the locks, so no help there.
But then I wonder what they left for us to deal with in getting to the lock? Did they leave an access panel or is it abig dealto get to the thing?
My thoughts might be that I would want to take a look at them while working--if I could without tearing out a cabinet, etc.
One of the easy things to do with the electronics I do is to check or compare working with not working. That lets me find battery and ground on the working and makes sorting how and what to expect much easier! Theory is okay but seeing it in motion is better, so I might want to look this motor and connections over and do some testing while it is working, just on the idea that it may quit later.
I have a bunch of notes on any RV I have, just to make it easier when they need work.

While there and checking the wiring, I would also look at the mechanical side for lubing, worn or other things that might help put off total failure.
But that depends on if I have to kill the whole thing to get to it!!
Old 09-30-2022, 05:45 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We have a full wall slide and we stopped using the slide locks when they were acting up and the slide worked ok, the only thing that we noticed was that there was a lot of extra squeaking coming from the slide on the road, once we had them repaired the noise went away, so they do help stabilize the slide while in transport. We have over 90k traveling and don't plan to run without the slide locks.
As far as access, they have a black cover that directly under the slide lock and are easy to get to, one is in a cabinet and the second is in the bedroom closet.
Old 09-30-2022, 07:42 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid1 View Post
We had issues after a few years and found these bulletins and had them repaired and have not had an issue since.
Excellent info here! Thanks for adding to the discussion!
Old 10-03-2022, 03:49 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.T.T. View Post
While prepping for a trip, we discovered that the driver-side slide out doesn't lock. It was unlocked sitting in the driveway (while slide was out), and after sliding in, lock isn't engaging (don't hear the typical whirling sound). The passenger side works fine.

I've checked the fuses in the battery compartment (passenger-side, rear) and the fuses in the front, driver side compartment.

While I've done quite a bit of work on the the rig, but I have not had to "play" with the slide functionality. I don't even know where the locks and mechanisms are located.

Any ideas to trouble shoot/repair? Other experiences?

I would also appreciate any guidance for the location of the locking mechanisms and how to access them. 2009 Journey 34Y.

Thank you!
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_166495.pdf
Look on sheet 4. The follower on the motor gear is known to jamb. I have replaced the motors with the "new upgrade kit" just to have a motor jamb up again. I suggest you pull the motor out and free up the mechanics that are hanging up then use a good waterproof grease on everything that moves. Getting the motor out takes a bit of figuring out. Pins need to be removed and a bit of wiggling of stuff is involved. Take care when removing the micro switches. Don't distort the follower arm.

The lock is located under the plastic tub in the cabinet to the left of the entertainment system.

I have 2 motors to work on in my coach.

Happy trails.
Rick
Old 10-03-2022, 10:43 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Ok, now that the problem is all solved, what is a slide lock? Not only do I not know, I have never heard of until this thread. I have 2019 Full Wall Slide and just extend and retract. Never locked anything and didn't know I could.

I have heard of people using boards or something to keep slide in place, but even that sound strange to me?

Wish there was pictures.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 07:07 AM   #13
Site Team

[QUOTE=dkoldman;3926953]Ok, now that the problem is all solved, what is a slide lock? Not only do I not know, I have never heard of until this thread. I have 2019 Full Wall Slide and just extend and retract. Never locked anything and didn't know I could./QUOTE]
Not all sides have any kind of lock. If yours did you’d see a lock switch. My RV has 3-slides. Only one has a switch to activate a lock.

So, you need not worry about not having a slide lock.
Old 10-04-2022, 07:43 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

If you've not found a slide lock switch, you likely do not have one! I've never seen one and might guess thay are on less than 10% of the Rv we find??
I do not see one on your RV drawings but the basic thing is something like a hook looking like your index finger, which rotates on a motor driven shaft to engage a bar of some sort. Kind of like a motor driven cabinet latch?

The fix for some was to cut a screw end off just so it stopped hanging on another part!

file:///C:/Users/Richard/Downloads/Power%20Gear%20Room%20Lock%20Repair%20-%2082-S0504.pdf
Old 10-04-2022, 04:50 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

The info on the fix is in post six above by audvid1 but doesn't seem to transfer when I try to copy it here, so you will have to go there for the correct link!
Sorry about that! meant to referr to it twice and di not getit right either time!!

It's still good info they and an interesting read----I'm just not very good at passing it along! Refer to post six above to get better info?
Old 10-04-2022, 05:08 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
The info on the fix is in post six above by audvid1 but doesn't seem to transfer when I try to copy it here, so you will have to go there for the correct link!
Richard, if you go up to post #6 and right click on the No 6 you'll find that it's a direct link to that post. Simply copy and paste that link into your post and voila... you can send folks directly to that specific post.

You are correct, when you try to quote or copy it you can't pick up those attachments, however.

Here it is:

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ml#post3926703

Tags
slide