Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-29-2021, 06:35 PM   #1
Winne Owner Vista 31be

Leak from refrigerator after travel - Vista 31be

2016 Winnebego Vista 31be - seems after we disconnect from shore power, travel back home (1.5 to 4 hrs) we have several small water streams coming from corner of paneling next to refrigerator. My guess right now is that’s it is defrost ing for some reason.? It does not happen all the time. You can hear the power shut off and propane kick in……..not sure what else to diagnose?

It is ruining the bottom of the paneling….so any help or guidance in further diagnosing woul be great….
Lette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 07:50 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

You will need to do some looking watching to sort out if it is melting from defrost or some other possible water leak. Consider if there is a shower or other place where water might come into the question but then the frig is likely to have a drip catcher of some sort to check.

In the back inside of the frig, is there a tray of sorts under where the cooling portion sets?
Check if this dray has a drain to the outside and if so, try pouring a bit of water to see that is actually drains outside? Lots of potential for things like a stopped up drain or the tube may be split so leak the water inside instead of outside underneath?

But first step might be to find if it is actually defrosting or stopping, so that might be the real problem. We run a thermometer in the frig to check when in doubt.

Item 9 in this drawing shows a drip tray.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drip tray.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	180702  
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 05:21 AM   #3
Winne Owner Vista 31be

Thank you Richard!!! I'm fairly confident that there is no other plumbing in this wall and that the refrigerator is involved. Checking the drawings I see no other water or drainage nearby.

I see visual "water stains" if I pull out the bottom draw under the refrigerator (as you face the fridge) on the far left basically under the entrance storage ....puddling in the corner.... I'm fairly confident that your drawing will lead me to the issue!!

Where in the heck did you find this drawing. I've gone through every drawing and can't find this drawing anywhere??
Old 08-30-2021, 08:16 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

It's a trek as well as a trick!!
Here first as it gets you the parts catalog. Sounds l;ike sales and it might help but it gets lots of pictures, too.
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

Choose your RV to get here:
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/2016/16wfe31be.htm

Choose interior--- appliances
then passenger side cabinets and finally click the frig to bring up the listing where you can click the "itemized parts list"!

Did anybody mention I'm a bit hard headed when chasing things?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	frig drawing.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	180706  
Old 08-30-2021, 09:29 AM   #5
Winne Owner Vista 31be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Here first as it gets you the parts catalog. Sounds l;ike sales and it might help but it gets lots of pictures, too.

then passenger side cabinets and finally click the frig to bring up the listing where you can click the "itemized parts list"!

Perfect! Actually, it does not show up until I click in the upper left hand corner of the "VIEWER" and there I see PASSANGER SIDE CABINETS on a pull down menu!!! So now this is only going to make me more dangerous ....:-)

Thank you Richard! I m investigating tonight.......
Old 09-02-2021, 06:31 AM   #6
Winne Owner Vista 31be

Quote:

Ok, after some level of investigation here is where I'm at. I have a Norcold 822RT model refrigerator. I pulled apart the inside and understand how the water condensation comes off the blades and into the drip tray. The inside drip tray was fully iced up which blocked the drainage. Pulled this part out which connects to a tube that runs outside to another drip tray. The hose itself was tested and is free and clear. At the second drip tray embedded in the hose is a plug which you could say was plugged a little. This plug only has a pin hole in it so I'm assuming thats designed in to eliminate air entering into the refrigerator. At this point, i have to ask a few more questions;

1 - What is the general refrigerator COLD setting that everyone uses? Mine was set at
2 - I need to test the propane connection to make sure it is working. Any suggestions?

Remember, this happens when I disconnect from shore and travel. Seems only to occur when heading back home so one more thought is that the refrigerator is packed when traveling. While at home, its empty.

Clearly, if the drip tray is iced up then it begins to melt when transitioned to propane. How it transfers from inside to outside....well thats another analysis effort...we do see puddling inside.....

I have reduced the setting to 4 and have little water in the tray ...but the refrigerator is empty at the moment.

Thank you again for your experience and insight....
Old 09-02-2021, 07:53 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Just some random thoughts:

Was it raining? Rain can enter the outside vents and accumulate on the plastic under the fridge and then drain inside the coach when your coach comes to rest at an angle.

Make sure the area behind the outside vent area is clean and free of debris.

A setting of 8 is very high but may be necessary when outside temps are 100 and above. For me a setting of 6 or 7 seems adequate to maintain a fridge temp of 33-35 degrees with outside temps of 70-90 degrees. If its colder outside a setting 5 will achieve the desired 33-35 degrees. It is important to monitor your fridge temp and adjust as necessary depending on outside temps.
Park Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 11:41 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Two thoughts here! One is that the setting does sound really high but then I also have no experience with that specific frig, so that may be way off.
But the idea that the setting is too high "might" fit in with the idea that the drip tray should not be so cold that water freezes there??

Second idea might be that the thermostat is not doing what it should and that lets the temp go way too cold, only to then let it go too warm and let the large chunk of ice melt as you travel home.

I might go with the theory that the drip tray and drain are meant to handle normal amounts of dripping water but being combined with a bit of clogging, the big chunk of ice in the drip tray may simply overwhelm the setup.

Before going all in on changing the thermostat, I might favor a thermometer and a bit of testing, trying first. Any signs from things like lettuce or liquids in the frig freezing, that indicate too cold? Is this tray open and so you can check to see if water is draining out if you pour a small amount in, also maybe during a trip can you look to see what it is doing, or is it covered/buried so that is not practical?

Second is that there is a lot of info online on testing the thermister, which I was calling a thermostat. A search for "testing Norcold thermister" can get lots of hits but this is one that might give some ideas:
https://findanyanswer.com/how-do-you...old-thermistor
Old 09-02-2021, 01:57 PM   #9
Winne Owner Vista 31be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park Super View Post
Just some random thoughts:

Was it raining? Rain can enter the outside vents and accumulate on the plastic under the fridge and then drain inside the coach when your coach comes to rest at an angle.

Make sure the area behind the outside vent area is clean and free of debris.

A setting of 8 is very high but may be necessary when outside temps are 100 and above. For me a setting of 6 or 7 seems adequate to maintain a fridge temp of 33-35 degrees with outside temps of 70-90 degrees. If its colder outside a setting 5 will achieve the desired 33-35 degrees. It is important to monitor your fridge temp and adjust as necessary depending on outside temps.
No, no rain. It was very humid around 80+ over the last weekend usage. So I know this played havoc with the inside of the fridge. So for now, going to try the lower temp setting. Plus add a thermometer inside the fridge to see where I'm at.....:-)

Thank you for your input...all thoughts are welcomed!!
Old 09-02-2021, 02:05 PM   #10
Winne Owner Vista 31be

Quote:
Two thoughts here! One is that the setting does sound really high but then I also have no experience with that specific frig, so that may be way off.
But the idea that the setting is too high "might" fit in with the idea that the drip tray should not be so cold that water freezes there??

Second idea might be that the thermostat is not doing what it should and that lets the temp go way too cold, only to then let it go too warm and let the large chunk of ice melt as you travel home.

I might go with the theory that the drip tray and drain are meant to handle normal amounts of dripping water but being combined with a bit of clogging, the big chunk of ice in the drip tray may simply overwhelm the setup.

Before going all in on changing the thermostat, I might favor a thermometer and a bit of testing, trying first. Any signs from things like lettuce or liquids in the frig freezing, that indicate too cold? Is this tray open and so you can check to see if water is draining out if you pour a small amount in, also maybe during a trip can you look to see what it is doing, or is it covered/buried so that is not practical?

Second is that there is a lot of info online on testing the thermister, which I was calling a thermostat. A search for "testing Norcold thermister" can get lots of hits but this is one that might give some ideas:
I agree Richard I think it was too high of a setting. Also going to purchase a thermometer for inside. I see a few videos on this N822 Norcold refrigerator so I need to check the flame and truly make sure its working. I'm not sure but I can "hear" the propane but have not checked. General cleaning the outside area and then the next steps you outlined ...all good info!!!

Thank you sincerely.....greatly appreciated!!!
Old 09-02-2021, 03:56 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

While doing a look around at the frig on the outside, it is always a good idea to keep wasps and mud daubers out on both the frig and furnace as one thing that most parts of the country do have bugs that look at those holes and find they look just like home.
When they get in and build a nest, it is often in some spot which either fouls a sail switch or restricts the airflow in some place, so it is much better to head them off BEFORE they get in and we have to hunt for what's wrong!
Old 09-03-2021, 05:01 PM   #12
Winne Owner Vista 31be

Quote:
While doing a look around at the frig on the outside, it is always a good idea to keep wasps and mud daubers out on both the frig and furnace as one thing that most parts of the country do have bugs that look at those holes and find they look just like home.
When they get in and build a nest, it is often in some spot which either fouls a sail switch or restricts the airflow in some place, so it is much better to head them off BEFORE they get in and we have to hunt for what's wrong!
Yes, I don’t see anything for nests but it was the first thing I was thinking of! In the northeast they typically settle in during spring time so if they haven’t nested by now your good to go. I stay up with knocking the nests down so they go elsewhere…..🙂

Thanks again Richard! Purchasing a thermostat tomorrow…..flame on the propane looks fine…..but may have it looked at…..thermostat first!
Old 09-20-2021, 09:36 AM   #13
Winne Owner Vista 31be

RE: Leak from Refrigerator After travel

Quote:

Ok, I've adjusted the settings and settled in on 4 which puts the freezer at 10 degree's and the refrigerator at 38 degree's. I'm traveling this week and will see how it operates on propane. I may shutdown the shore power tomorrow just to measure after few hours. In general, it was set a bit high to compensate for humidity. The thermistor is the next assessment and I may just replace it at the end of the season. Right now, no water in the drip tray ...but again, this all happens while traveling.....

Stay tuned!
Old 09-28-2021, 02:04 PM   #14
Winne Owner Vista 31be

RE: Leak from Refrigerator After travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lette View Post
Ok, I've adjusted the settings and settled in on 4 which puts the freezer at 10 degree's and the refrigerator at 38 degree's. I'm traveling this week and will see how it operates on propane. I may shutdown the shore power tomorrow just to measure after few hours. In general, it was set a bit high to compensate for humidity. The thermistor is the next assessment and I may just replace it at the end of the season. Right now, no water in the drip tray ...but again, this all happens while traveling.....

Stay tuned!
Ok, another camping trip under my belt...still have the water coming out during travel. One possible thought here it that I mounted a rack inside the closet....could I have punctured the covering (jacket) around the refrigerator so when it makes the transition from POWER to PROPAANE enough defrosts and leaks down the side wall inside where the refrigerator is and out through the bottom corner??? It can't be the thermistor however I'll replace for s&gs.... The gages maintained 38 - 40 F....no water now in the tray either.....
Old 09-28-2021, 03:46 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Is there a rubber drain hose in that area? They seem to have ways to find just the right spot to get drilled!

But I admit that I can go out in a field 40 feet from anything other than a new pole and drive a half inch ground rod in just the right spot to hit a 3/4 inch water line!
Proved it by letting the water fly up in my face!

Maybe you can also be so unlucky?

Tags
leak, refrigerator, travel