Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2014, 07:53 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Unhappy Leak by windshield on Adventurer 35P

We seem to have water coming in the front of our 35P. It's at the windshield but seems to be coming down from above where the fans are located. Has anyone else had this issue? If so how did you fix it. Winnebago has a reputation for bad windshield design with leaking hoping it isn't that.
Thanks
oldyoungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:20 AM   #2
RKL
Winnebago Owner

Test by using black electric tape over the joint between the rubber molding strip and cap. Run water and test. If no leak use silicone under the rubber molding. Also spray clearance lights to see if they leak. Do this while joint is taped. Rkl
Old 04-23-2014, 12:59 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I have had leaks at the clearance lights. I put in some silicone caulking and they have not returned.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:41 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

We looked at the lights yesterday and sprayed water on them. No leaks happened. Taped joints and sprayed water everywhere on the front. NO leaks. Just don't know where else to check. Will probably have to take it to a dealer to have a pressure test done. Was hoping to fix myself so I wouldn't have to do that.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:47 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

If yours has the black rubber across the top of the windshield check the ends of the rubber to see if they are open. Mine were open on both ends and when I sprayed water in the ends I had a leak. But the leak didn't show up as soon as I sprayed it. It seems to take several minutes for the water to work down it's path. My leak was on the passenger side about middle of the section.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:55 AM   #6
RKL
Winnebago Owner

That is good news. No leaks when taped. Now remove taped and run a bead of chalk under the black rubber trim at the top of the windshield. This is where your leak is. If you want a more permanent fix, remove rubber molding and silicone the joint between the window and the frame or fiberglass. Then replace molding and run a bead of chalk under the rubber by just pulling it back and squeezing the chalk in. This should permanently fux your leak. Rkl
Old 04-25-2014, 07:06 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I am having the same problem but on the right passenger side where the front speaker is. After a moderate to heavy rain, water drips through the wire hole and onto the dash. I have the front windshield taped. I caulked around the front end cap, and checked all of the antenna connections on top of the cap. I replaced the clearance light gaskets last year so they should not be leaking. The only other place that I can think of is the satellite dish mount on the roof but there are no stains on the ceiling fabric. One note is that the wires for the clearance lights come into the light housing from the top of the cap so unless there is a crack in the fiberglass inside of the light housing or the light fills with water, I can't see how the water can enter from there. When my windshield leaked, the water dripped closer to the windshield and down onto the dash. My rubber tape is sealed tight against the rubber molding at the top of the windshield so I don't think that it is leaking from the windshield. I am going to explore more this weekend.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:39 AM   #8
RKL
Winnebago Owner

Patrol 65. Open your upper cupboards and remove the ceiling piece. Also look for access at back of tv. You should be able to see where the water is coming from.also check the roof to front cap seam all the way to where it meets the side upper panel. Good luck. Rkl
Old 04-26-2014, 12:09 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

NOOOOOOO!!!!! NOT silicone! Oh dear. Use windshield urethane caulk. Please. Silicone will not stick permanently. It is simply not the right material for bedding windshield glass.

I had the unpleasant experience of being caught out in 50-70mph winds in the Mojave desert when our coach was new. We ended up packing up and leaving late into the evening, those that stayed got litterally sand blasted. A friends utility trailer had the paint completely blasted off.

After that, driving into sunshine our windshield looked like the milky way. Insurance paid for both panels to be replaced, $800 for each panel and $800 labor. I'm not going to say who the work, but it was an authorized winnebago dealer and repair shop. Unbeknownst to me, they must have dropped the driver glass on the dash and then had it repaired. After a couple of seasons it discolored and you could see where it was patched. I wasn't very happy about that.

Worse, it leaked. I ended up removing all of the black rubber external molding and found the most horrible sealing job I had ever seen. It took two or three large tubes of urethane caulk to properly seal the entire perimeter of the glass. You don't seal under the external rubber, you remove it and seal the glass to the frame, the glass bed. The the rubber is reinserted into the channel.

This fixed most of it but we still got some water on the passenger side in severe rain. I removed the internal trim plastic so I could see possibly where the water was coming in. Sure enough, I could see daylight between the welded framing members along the right side of the windshield. After sealing all that I could find there I never had another issue.

As I have always said, Winnebago makes some really top notch components, then have monkeys putting them together. I have seem some of the poorest workmanship under the skin of these things than I have seen in any other motoring vehicle.

If your windshield leaks you are going to have to remove the rubber stripping and re-caulk the glass bed with urethane window caulk. Fill up the voids, fill it all in, it won't leak.

CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 03:12 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Yes, my glass guy just said to not use RTV, use the 3M windshield adhesive shown in CJBROWN's post above, also available in smaller tubes.

My clearance lights were dripping rust, so I replaced them. In doing that I had to hammer the old ones out. In doing that I opened up a can of worms, that being my passenger side windshield frame was all rusted, but not quite leaking, until I started beating of the lights. The day after my fix we got 4 inches of rain and I collected 2 gallons of water in drip pans on the dash. Had the windshield replaced 3 days later.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 03:26 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Leak does not necessarily form from the front of the coach.....I had a leak an after 2 tries, they found that it was from a bad caulk job from the factory at the satellite dome. The water was running forward an than down the seam in the overhead.
This was a 2010 adventurer 35p
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:30 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Hope this helps

I just helped my good friend Gene repair his leaky windshield today. Only thing is....

It wasn't his windshield that was leaking. Turns out the water was getting in along the cap and roof overlap. We dug out the old sealant as far as we could, and cleaned the area thoroughly. Made sure it was dry, then added the Dicor brand RV roof self leveling sealer. Across the entire cap and roof seam.

The problem area was under the set of air horns that stuck out over the cap and roof. Fun times with little room to work. But we managed in one day to tear out the old sealer, clean it up, and repair it.
KoolBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:00 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everyone. We already cleaned out and re-caulked the front cap to roof. We did find that the air conditioners access covers to the hold down bolts were loose. So I tightened them and reinstalled and taped the access covers. No rain yet but lots expected tomorrow so we will see how it goes.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:36 AM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

2002 winnebago brave 34d

Sorry to hear. I had a leak start around windshield area and after removing molding from channel I noticed that there were some rust spots. The channel had to be removed and I used a rust inhibitor on the spots before sanding, prime & pant. I also had to caulk the cap to windshield frame and cap to roof before installing channel and trim. So far So good been 8 months.
Almeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:54 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I think that I have solved my roof leak. I sealed the base of my roof mounted satellite antenna and the batwing antenna on the roof with dicor and so far no leak. We had a torrential downpour today and the windshield area is dry. I don't use either antenna. I use the three lnb direct tv antenna on a tripod for satellite reception. I plan to replace the satellite antenna in the future with a dome or Traveller in the near future because I think that the little rubber o-ring on the crank shaft must have started to leak on the satellite antenna.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:53 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Well with the rain today it is really coming in. It seems to come from under the mcd shades. Had to change out two beach towels trying to keep up with the water. We have an appt. where we bought it but that isn't until May 22. We don't have satellite so it isn't coming from there. Checked the antenna and sierrus they seem to be ok.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:49 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

If you have a roof a/c unit, I would suspect that the a/c to roof seal is leaking since you stated in a previous post that you tightened some screws on the a/c unit. It is easy to check. Take the inside control unit from the ceiling and inspect around the base of the 14 inch square hole through the roof where the a/c unit is mounted to the roof to see if there is any evidence of water entering around the seal. It is easier to see when it is actually raining.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:00 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

What are 'mcd shades'?
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:07 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Patrol 65 we have heat pumps not unit in the ceiling of the RV. There is duct work only. They are the solar and black out shades CJBrown. I might be calling them by the wrong name it could be mdc
Old 05-02-2014, 09:44 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

OK with no a/c unit on the roof and no satellite dish, then the only other hole in the roof is the air vent since you stated that you checked all of the antennas on the roof. I assume that you also checked the bat wing tv antenna. The bat wings are prone to leaks because of lack of lubricating the o-ring inside of the crank on the ceiling of your motorhome. I don't use mine so I have dicor sealant around the swivel base on the roof.

Tags
leak, vent