Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2014, 04:41 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Question Lookin for that leak,too

Have water dripping out of the passenger side 12 volt socket/map light switch area in our 2005 Winnie Adventurer 37B. Can see it is traveling down the wiring from somewhere (pax window, right front corner, etc.) Previous owners have done some caulking at the pax window, across the front roof cap to roof, and right corner post/roof cap/sidewall. From info they left in their motorhome diary (thank you, good people) they had factory repair of the front cap seal.
We are currently in the northern tip of West (by God) Virginia and do not lack for rain to keep track of the leak.
Right now I am contemplating putting up an air dam in the front half of the coach and finding out if I can pressurize it to 3 or 4 psi with a shop vac and do a soap bubble inspection.
Anyone tried to do-it-yourself? I'd appreciate any tips you can offer.
Starsekr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:34 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Update on the leak. The dealer has our RV and said the frame of the windshield is rusted out. Can you believe that? Our unit was bought new in 2012. It isn't two years old yet. That had to be leaking for some time for it to rust. We are very disappointed in Winnebago. We asked about the windshield rust problems before we bought ours and we were told by Winnebago "that was a long time ago there isn't any windshield problems with Winnebago products". What a lie
oldyoungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:24 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Leak by windshield on Adventurer 35P

Keep us posted on the resolution to this.

I was also told that the windshield problems dated back to the "2 piece" models. The "1 piece" windshields were supposed to be fixed.

Figures.
khogle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:30 AM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Dealer has taken pictures for us so when we pick it up I will try and post the pics. so everyone can see. After we get them we will contact Winnebago about this issue. We just put a residential fridge in it, that we haven't even used yet. So very disappointed in Winnebago. If the tech. tells us this can happen again we will be getting rid of the rig and buying a new one and not a Winnebago!
Old 06-02-2014, 06:31 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Windshield leak

Thanks for the update.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:33 PM   #26
Winnebago Watcher

use SS

If a shop is going to replace the metal frame they should use stainless steel to prevent this from happening again. I use to be a shop foreman at a fab shop and a good welder can weld the stainless to the regular carbon steel without a problem.
Almeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:07 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

We picked up the RV this morning. We called Winnebago and they stated" rust is not covered in the bumper to bumper warrenty." So from day one you are screwed if you have rust. They also said "you should inspect your windshield seals every year". To inspect this, side posts need to be removed and rubber around the windshield removed to see the sealant. $$$$$ "they will do no goodwill to anyone with rust". We asked if they were keeping track of how many people had windshield problems and Tommy said he didn't know that information.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:40 PM   #28
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyoungs View Post
If the tech. tells us this can happen again we will be getting rid of the rig and buying a new one and not a Winnebago!
I've researched this subject quite extensively in the past and can tell you that if you do the same, you will in fact find Winnebago/Itasca owners that have had to do the full repair at least twice.

And for Winnebago to state that the owner needs to inspect the windshield seal is not only meaningless, it's NEVER been in ANY model year owner's manual that I know of, from 1999-2009. The reason I say it's 'meaningless' is that the black 'reveal' molding is only for looks; it does not seal out any water or moisture. Winnebago windshields are sealed to the metal windshield frame, which Winnebago has told me that when you do a 'rust and leak inspection', the ONLY way the actual damage can truly be seen is to pull the windshield glass, likely leading to breakage.

For Winnebago to state anything less is disingenuous at best, just like when they say that don't have any idea how many complaints they've received, and always make it sound like it's an 'isolated incident'.

Winnebago has a huge black-eye over this issue and a lot of 'new' owners don't even know when they buy that 'clean, low-mileage' motorhome that they have a $2,500-$4,000 repair bill headed their way from rusted windshield frames, but the previous owner and Winnebago dealer do.

As far as Winnebago claiming that the new one-piece design solved the problem, I can tell you that on one of my phone calls to customer service, they told me the same thing, but the windshield installation process and reveal molding is all too similar to the 1999-2009 models. I can also tell you that I had called three or four times with this issue (my 2005 and my father-in-laws 2006, same problem, same costs to repair), to the point that the last customer service rep told me that my file had been flagged and that Winnebago would never pay me a single dime towards customer goodwill, and hung up on me. You probably can guess how much 'goodwill' I have towards Winnebago/Itasca and while it's not likely I will ever replace this motorhome, if I do, there won't by any Winnebago-brand decals on it.

Manufacturers do make mistakes, they do make design flaws and I feel that Winnebago should have helped out with some sort of financial help, especially to customers that bought new. By the time it showed up on my 2005, Winnebago had full knowledge of the issue by at least four or five years. I only asked for 50%, and couldn't even get a dime.

Good luck to you in your endeavors. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:43 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

That is terrible customer service. Do you have the pictures of where this rust is? It's strange it could even rust that much in a year or so.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:15 AM   #30
Winnebago Camper

RTegarini, I agree with you. The seal isn't the problem it is the design. I am going to do everything in my power to report Winnebago to the Attorney General, The Better Business Bureau (since they have that on their web site) Also contacting RVDA who has given them the Quality Circle Award again. This is an on going problem that has cost customers thousands of dollars while they use every excuse in the book to deni it. Tommy who we spoke with yesterday didn't care a bit. We asked him where in the manual it says to inspect the windsheild and he said "it says to inspect all seals once a year". He also told us we signed a paper when we bought it saying we understood that Winnebago doesn' t fix rust under it's warrenty. We have yet to find that paper he said we signed. They are hiding under everything they can to not take blame with this windshield problem. All Winnebago owners need to get together and make complaints to agencies that can do something about this. This is also a safety issue you could be driving and your windshield crack or worse yet fall out from the rust. Anyone know who else I can go to for help. I have copied several pages from several web sites with people talking about Winnebago windshields. Found one guy with a 2012 Meriden that Winnebago replaced his windshield for NOTHING saying " it was too new to rust". guess my 2012 Adventurer didn't cost enough for them to care.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:06 AM   #31
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
RTegarini, I agree with you. The seal isn't the problem it is the design. I am going to do everything in my power to report Winnebago to the Attorney General, The Better Business Bureau (since they have that on their web site) Also contacting RVDA who has given them the Quality Circle Award again. This is an on going problem that has cost customers thousands of dollars while they use every excuse in the book to deni it. Tommy who we spoke with yesterday didn't care a bit. We asked him where in the manual it says to inspect the windsheild and he said "it says to inspect all seals once a year". He also told us we signed a paper when we bought it saying we understood that Winnebago doesn' t fix rust under it's warrenty. We have yet to find that paper he said we signed. They are hiding under everything they can to not take blame with this windshield problem. All Winnebago owners need to get together and make complaints to agencies that can do something about this. This is also a safety issue you could be driving and your windshield crack or worse yet fall out from the rust. Anyone know who else I can go to for help. I have copied several pages from several web sites with people talking about Winnebago windshields. Found one guy with a 2012 Meriden that Winnebago replaced his windshield for NOTHING saying " it was too new to rust". guess my 2012 Adventurer didn't cost enough for them to care.
If you can come up with a way to get someones attention on this issue, you can count me in with receipts, pictures and documentation of both a 2005 and 2006 model-year motorhomes that had extensive windshield frame rust. Both are from California too, where we don't have any where near the extreme weather that other states have.

Like I mentioned, when Winnebago verbally tells you to inspect the seals, the reveal molding is no seal at all. On mine, the exterior of the seals looked perfect; no one could tell the extensive rust hiding behind it and worse, you really couldn't see the true damage that had taken place UNTIL the glass was pulled. If it's such a great design, why is it that no other manufacturer uses the same process? Every see it used in any other truck or automobile? I haven't, so if anyone knows of the exact same design used by another manufacture, please let me know so I can research it. I don't want to bore you or others here, as I have extensive threads here on this subject, but will mention that Winnebago admitted to me that the design of the windshield is an integral part of the design structure of the whole front cap, and that a grossly rusted-out windshield frame could allow for the failure of the glass by falling out at speed. The Winnebago rep told me that this has never actually happened though. I have written twice to the CEO of Winnebago and got back this reply:

(That's blank space, as in 'nothing', no response, no reply.)

I feel that Winnebago has pulled a fast one on owners, and to date, have completely gotten away with it. You can search the top three or four RV forums and will have no difficulty in finding numerous threads on rusted and leaking windshield frames. It's a real problem and as time goes on, many owners here that think it isn't an issue that affects them now will find out down the road... 'surprise!'.
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:43 PM   #32
Winnebago Camper

Update on this issue. Winnebago paid us half the cost of repairing the leak in the windshield. Still going to complain to Better Business of Iowa, also the RVDA which gives them a quality award every year. You can go to [email protected] to get their info if you want to complain. They tried to say we had the "only" new one with the issue which isn't true. We know of someone with a 2012 that the factor replaced for them. The BBB is at 505 5th Ave. Suite 950, Des Moines, IA 50309
Old 07-07-2014, 04:39 PM   #33
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the follow up.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:45 AM   #34
Winnebago Owner

Sounds as if a class action law suit may be in order. If any manufacturer willingly continues to mislead, and misrepresent manufacturing flaws whether by design, or materials used, they should be held financially responsible.

I own a Winnebago Journey, and have had very few manufacturer problems. This is full disclosure: I have had nothing but professional and courteous assistance from Winnebago on any issue regarding my motorhome. Thus far, every single one of their "partners" have also been above and beyond what I had expected when assisting with repairs.

That being said, I can not help but worry about my huge one piece windshield.
KoolBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:37 AM   #35
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 99 Adventurer and have had a windshield leak every since I hit a huge bird on a recent trip. The bird hit between the drivers side marker light and the top of the windshield. All I can say is I wish I had that damn bird on my BBQ grill!
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 02:13 PM   #36
Winnebago Camper

KoolBell I think your right. Winnebago has known about this problem for years and has hid it under the rug. We too have had great response from Norcold, the people who make the propane leak detector and Splendide but NOT Winnebago. First they tried to say it was only a problem with the two peice windshield, now they are saying only a problem with 2007 to 2009 models. It is the same problem no matter which window you have it is poor design. They seem to be the only one with the problem so they are should be responsibile to fix or compensate everyone with the problem.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:52 PM   #37
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
KoolBell I think your right. Winnebago has known about this problem for years and has hid it under the rug. We too have had great response from Norcold, the people who make the propane leak detector and Splendide but NOT Winnebago. First they tried to say it was only a problem with the two peice windshield, now they are saying only a problem with 2007 to 2009 models. It is the same problem no matter which window you have it is poor design. They seem to be the only one with the problem so they are should be responsibile to fix or compensate everyone with the problem.

What's up with the propane leak detector? Sometimes mine chirps and squeals for no reason.

What's up with Norcold? I had a new cooling unit installed under warranty at about 3 years old.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:52 PM   #38
Winnebago Owner

Propane leak detectors have an expiration date .....stamped on the back is the production date, I believe they have a 5 year operation life.
I had the chirping also, replaced the detector and problem solved.
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:13 PM   #39
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
What's up with the propane leak detector? Sometimes mine chirps and squeals for no reason.

What's up with Norcold? I had a new cooling unit installed under warranty at about 3 years old.
Our LP detector had the same problem. Turned out it was the original 11 year old unit.

No comment on the Norcold since ours works fine.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:33 PM   #40
Winnebago Camper

Our unit was only 1 1/2 years old when our detector started going off. I contacted the comapny and they asked me to send it to them. They replaced the unit free of charge. Excellent service. By the way they are to be replaced every 5 years. My Norcold fridge needed a new mother board 2 days after it was out of warrenty. Norcold stepped up and paid for the mother board. Excellent service. Rusted out windshield on a Winnebago and had to fight to get half of it paid for even with our dealer sending them pictures. Poor Service! We have now replaced that norcold with a Samsung fridge. It fit in the door of our RV with the doors off taken off the fridge and also almost fit the same spot. Our local place charged us $750 to install it and did a great job it looks like it was always there. We love it

Tags
leak, vent