Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2021, 11:54 PM   #1
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Ladder Scares Me!

I’m looking everywhere for a guard for my ladder, that would deter people from accessing the roof of my RV.
No, I’m not worried about people stealing something from my roof.
No. I’m not really even worried about people dancing on my roof as seen on the news during demonstrations.
What I am worried about is my RV is parked in my driveway, and it could easily be an attractive nuisance, wherein a child climbs the ladder and is seriously injured. And yes, I could be liable for any injuries.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-30-2021, 12:44 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Here’s a cheap way
https://www.levelok.com/product/ladder-guard/
Old 05-30-2021, 09:27 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Get a steel cable. And a ladder hook set up. Hook & strap something to your ladder that would need to be negotiated by someone trying to climb the ladder. A bicycle for instance. With the seat removed so it's not an attractive theft item. Or a BBQ. Something you might carry anyway. Just needs to be large enough to work as a deterrent.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 12:26 PM   #4
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Get a steel cable. And a ladder hook set up. Hook & strap something to your ladder that would need to be negotiated by someone trying to climb the ladder. A bicycle for instance. With the seat removed so it's not an attractive theft item. Or a BBQ. Something you might carry anyway. Just needs to be large enough to work as a deterrent.
Thanks for your reply. It actually needs to rise beyond the level of a deterrent, it has to prevent someone from accessing the roof.

Think of it like a pool in one’s backyard. That’s an attractive nuisance that if not protected from access, could leave the homeowner liable for damages should something unforeseen and unfortunate occur.

I’m still looking for an easy solution that someone has purchased. If not, I’m going to build one…
Old 05-30-2021, 01:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

So, I'm not saying you are wrong in your quest but; how many RV ladders have actually become "attractive nuisances".
Old 05-30-2021, 03:32 PM   #6
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil-T View Post
So, I'm not saying you are wrong in your quest but; how many RV ladders have actually become "attractive nuisances".
Good question. They all are, technically, if they’re not locked up in a garage or shed. But how many people have been sued? Not sure. I just don’t want to be the next one.
Old 05-30-2021, 04:11 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Here's one commercially available option (second item down):

https://rv-marine.tripod.com/ezsafety.html

There's no price (that always makes me nervous), but based on similar non-RV ones I saw online I'm guessing it's pretty expensive ($300+?). 1/8" aluminum seems like overkill.

Here's another, much less expensive option, but easier to circumvent:

https://www.rvcoversprotect.com/rv-ladder-cover

Personally, I'd make a guard out of 1/4" plywood, the width of my treads and as high as I wanted, with hooks on top and some sort of locking mechanism on the bottom. You could even make it swing-away like the EZ-Ladder Guard.

Remember, all you can do is take reasonable precautions to deter access, not prevent it. Like a fence around a pool, unless it's 10' tall with razor wire on top, a determined kid will find a way to get over it .

If you want more, Google "RV Ladder Barrier" or "RV Ladder Guard"
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 06:25 PM   #8
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Here's one commercially available option (second item down):

https://rv-marine.tripod.com/ezsafety.html

There's no price (that always makes me nervous), but based on similar non-RV ones I saw online I'm guessing it's pretty expensive ($300+?). 1/8" aluminum seems like overkill.

Here's another, much less expensive option, but easier to circumvent:

https://www.rvcoversprotect.com/rv-ladder-cover

Personally, I'd make a guard out of 1/4" plywood, the width of my treads and as high as I wanted, with hooks on top and some sort of locking mechanism on the bottom. You could even make it swing-away like the EZ-Ladder Guard.

Remember, all you can do is take reasonable precautions to deter access, not prevent it. Like a fence around a pool, unless it's 10' tall with razor wire on top, a determined kid will find a way to get over it .

If you want more, Google "RV Ladder Barrier" or "RV Ladder Guard"
Thanks Bob, exactly what I was looking for. The Ladder Guard looks perfect, but boy is that a steep price. Wonder what Rob would charge for one of those..,
Old 05-30-2021, 07:51 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I had the metal door ladder guard type in mind, but thought making one might be out of your comfort zone
Old 05-30-2021, 08:13 PM   #10
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGoHom View Post
I had the metal door ladder guard type in mind, but thought making one might be out of your comfort zone
Sounds like a challenge
Old 05-30-2021, 09:29 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

If I were going to make an aluminum one, I'd get some lighter gauge aluminum, and pop-rivet it to a frame of aluminum bar or angle stock. You really don't need the industrial strength impregnability of 1/8" aluminum.
Old 06-06-2021, 04:50 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

My ladder has a hinge about halfway up. Just unhook the bottom of the ladder and fold it up on itself, where it just snaps into place. I think this is fairly standard on Winnie products.
golden13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 05:03 PM   #13
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden13 View Post
My ladder has a hinge about halfway up. Just unhook the bottom of the ladder and fold it up on itself, where it just snaps into place. I think this is fairly standard on Winnie products.
Not on mine. Love to see a picture of yours…Thanks!
Old 06-06-2021, 06:10 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I see a piece of rectangular plywood that's maybe 5/16 thick. Cut to the right width and length. Then 4 L brackets, each nut & bolted through, placed near the left and right edge at the top, and near the bottom. I might cut them with maybe 1/4 inch extra, and then bang up the threaded end a little, so it's not easy to undo the bolts
The top two are bent, to become a hook over the top rung. The bottom 2 remain straight. 2 holes are drilled in the plywood where the bottom rung crosses the plywood. One above the step, and one below it. A long shank bicycle lock shank is inserted through the 2 drilled holes from the back, and the key mechanism is then shoved on from the front. The 2 bottom L brackets prevent sliding the board side to side. Paint to taste.
Rick 99037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 06:22 PM   #15
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick 99037 View Post
I see a piece of rectangular plywood that's maybe 5/16 thick. Cut to the right width and length. Then 4 L brackets, each nut & bolted through, placed near the left and right edge at the top, and near the bottom. I might cut them with maybe 1/4 inch extra, and then bang up the threaded end a little, so it's not easy to undo the bolts
The top two are bent, to become a hook over the top rung. The bottom 2 remain straight. 2 holes are drilled in the plywood where the bottom rung crosses the plywood. One above the step, and one below it. A long shank bicycle lock shank is inserted through the 2 drilled holes from the back, and the key mechanism is then shoved on from the front. The 2 bottom L brackets prevent sliding the board side to side. Paint to taste.
You tasted the paint?
Seriously, thanks for your idea. When I wrap my head around the final project, I’ll post it.
Appreciate all the helpful insights…
Old 06-07-2021, 03:08 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I’m don’t understand, my ladder is five feet from the ground, no child, much less an adult can access it without the additional four foot extension in the basement, what kind of RV do you have which the ladder is a foot or two from the ground?
pobstlmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 03:32 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

My wife wants a ladder barrier to keep me off the roof.
Old 06-10-2021, 11:37 AM   #18
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobstlmo View Post
I’m don’t understand, my ladder is five feet from the ground, no child, much less an adult can access it without the additional four foot extension in the basement, what kind of RV do you have which the ladder is a foot or two from the ground?
It’s probably three feet off the ground. I can access it from the ground, so I imagine a teenager could easily, those guys are so nimble…
Old 06-10-2021, 11:49 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

My 35U's ladder is pretty high without its extension but, when I was looking at it to buy, I was able to step on the bumper and get to the ladder even though the bumper didn't stick out much.

Despite being shorter, I think an agile 10 year old could navigate it.
Old 06-10-2021, 12:38 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden13 View Post
I wish that were standard. My Winnie the bottom ladder section was stored in a basement compartment difficult to move out of the way and always seemed to be in the way.

I just checked and there's no way my ladder would just snap in place that I can see so I guess they didn't have that kind in '02. If rotated up from it's hinge point (big 3/4 round AL circles with a missing section allowing it to hook over the bar installed for that purpose), it might fit up there but I'd have to DIY some sort of latch with lock. Possible though...hmm.

What I did 'cus I was in a hurry is just drill a hole through the bottom brace piece of that removable ladder section, through the fiberglass end cap then through the steel bracket behind there (installed by Winnie to support the ladder), and then used a SS 10-32 bolt with plastic insert nut (lock nut) so if someone wanted to steal that section of the ladder, the screw would just spin if they tried to unscrew it and they'd have to crawl underneath to put a wrench on it - so a deterrent only. And the ladder is always there, ready to use.

It never occurred to me to make it hard to get on the roof as I don't have any ACs up there, so not much to steal, but now that I think about it, I have read about thieves climbing inside the RV through the vents. I do have vent covers but those are easily removed. I should probably come up with a way to fold the ladder up and lock it in place. GAH! Another key!

Lucky for me that since I'm never gone from my RV for long, and I'm familiar with the locations I stay at, I've not had anything stolen over the 17 years I've been a snowbird. Lost stuff though. Drove off without it.

Soooo much to do on these rolling breadboxes.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote