Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2020, 11:00 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Just buying a used 35u

Hello all
My wife and I are first time rv buyers and we were wondering what is the best way for us to haul our front wheel drive vehicle behind our motor home? Four down our a two wheel dolly?
All other tips would be greatly appreciated for us first time owners.
Thanks in advance.
Bob Cooper
BobCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 11:30 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

4 down is far superior to a dolly or a trailer for sooooo many reasons. The dolly is another 600 lbs you'll have to horse around plus find a place for it at most RV parks where parking space is limited. Even more so with a trailer.

It only takes the average owner under 15 minutes to lazily hook up their 4-down car, much longer with a dolly or trailer. Less messy too if it's raining and there's mud.

You can check this 'Dingy Guide' to see what vehicle you might want to tow four down.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 11:35 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

I’ve read that it isn’t good to pull a front wheel drive car four down couldn’t quiet figure out why.
Thanks for the info
BobCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 11:47 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Some reasons that people have a bias against towing 4-down are that automatic transmissions can be hard to find in a towable model car or they require expensive mods to make them towable. Stick shifts are generally towable 4-down with few mods. But both stick and auto tranni cars/trucks/suv/jeeps with the addition of a tow bar and tow bracket (called the base plate) customized to that particular model and year can be safely towed.

And the cost, depending on model and year of the toad, is equivalent to the dolly or trailers costs of setup.

Old 09-29-2020, 06:57 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

When researching via the "Dinghy Guide" or other references, keep in mind that tow-ability of a particular make/model also depends on the year. It also seems that, as the years progress, more and more make/models become un-towable. Unfortunately, the Dinghy Guide is not cumulative, each year has its own issue. If you're investigating toads in the 2005 to 2010 range, you'll have to review all six guides. I have yet to see a cumulative database. If there is, maybe someone will post a link.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 03:58 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Some reasons that people have a bias against towing 4-down are that automatic transmissions can be hard to find in a towable model car or they require expensive mods to make them towable. Stick shifts are generally towable 4-down with few mods. But both stick and auto tranni cars/trucks/suv/jeeps with the addition of a tow bar and tow bracket (called the base plate) customized to that particular model and year can be safely towed.

And the cost, depending on model and year of the toad, is equivalent to the dolly or trailers costs of setup.
Isn't the cost of the base plate and tow bar and braking system $3 to 4ooo?
mdka99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 04:21 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

There are sooooo many options that it's really hard to just say that it'll cost this much or that much. What I found with hours of research was that it usually came out to be a wash between the cost of an installed tow bar (generally a used Blue Ox since they are fairly easy to find used on eBay or Craigslist) including the electrical and accessories and the cost of a tow dolly setup. That's just what I found but I usually tell people to expect to pay $3,000 for a 4-down tow system. Didn't cost me all that much for several reasons, I think my total was $900 or so.

People who can claim to be DIY'ers generally save quite a bit on towing packages.

Old 10-01-2020, 05:09 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

First, you mention "our front wheel drive vehicle", but you don't mention what year/make/model you have. You may not have the 4-down option.

If you do, here's a before-tax summary of estimated DIY costs:

Ready Brute Elite II (integrated tow bar/braking system) - $1,200*
Baseplate - $450 (approx, varies by vehicle)
Connecting Cable - $72
Toad Light Wiring - $50 (approx, varies by vehicle)

Total = $1,772 + misc

* A separate tow bar and braking system can easily approach or exceed $2,000, depending on what you choose. The Ready Brute Elite II is the least expensive option and is well-reviewed.

I installed mine myself and can't comment on installation costs. I have read about bad installations at some RV dealerships.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:38 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Most front wheel drive vehicles don't flat tow. I have used a dolly for several years without any issues. Takes 10-15 minutes to drive on and tie down. Less than 5 to drive off. Plenty of room under the back of the A to store it. Highly recommend.
eaglelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 04:40 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

We have a "CartowDolly" for sale that we used for our FWD Camry.
Santee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 04:44 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

We have used all 3 methods for towing cars behind out motor home.
Tow dolly can accommodate a FWD vehicle without question, but it is pretty much a PITA to strap it down if your car's wheels and wheel wells are tight, or if it's raining or your back doesn't like contorting while strapping each tire. You also want to stop after a couple of minutes of driving in order to snug the straps again. Used dollys are around $1200, and if you buy used, the only concern is the age of the tires, so check them.

Trailer is what you drive the car onto. It's easy On and easy Off, but depends on weight of trailer + car as compared to the towing limit of your MH. An aluminum trailer is lighter, but more expensive. You'll want brake lights and running lights but Harbor Freight, et al, have magnetic lights that plug into your MH easily and they are cheap. IF you exceed the towing weight limit and need brakes on the trailer, it's a matter of paying for it.

4-Down is ONLY for cars that are designed for it. ASK your service adviser at your dealership or ask the manufacturer of the towing bar before you spend any money, because most dealers will say NO because of liability concerns, and if you have a FWD, I don't know how the auto trans can keep running fluid without an external pump you activate, and that is big bucks.

We went from towing a Lexus on a dolly, then on a trailer, but as others have said, storing those appliances isn't always an option. The Lexus was FWD and could not be towed 4-down, so we got a BMW with a 5-speed Manual Transmission. Almost ALL manual transmission cars can be towed 4-down, so that's what we do now.
Old 10-04-2020, 04:49 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santee2 View Post
We have a "CartowDolly" for sale that we used for our FWD Camry.
If money is a factor, then buy a used tow dolly and know that you won't wreck your transmission. Wiring for lights generally comes with the dolly, so it's one price without a mechanic being involved.

Straps should be included, and there are two sizes for either smaller cars or things like pickup truck tires.

Buy a jump suit to wear if you travel in rain or snow, but a dolly is your best bet for a FWD car...
Old 10-04-2020, 04:52 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Remember not all vehicle can be tied 4 down. I toe a Jeep Wrangler unlimited. Also towing 4 down you will need a brake system for your ride.
68SILVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 05:05 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68SILVER View Post
Also towing 4 down you will need a brake system for your ride.
Not always. It depends on the motor home's weight rating, or in some cases a State's vehicle laws. If you have a light car and tow dolly, you might can just use your MH's braking system if it's not a strain. NOTE: we have a DP and use engine braking on down-hills, but if you have a gasser, you will either have to down-shift or bet a braking system.

If you travel in areas that don't have mountain grades, you might get away with just your MH system. In our case, we exceed code limits for weight of vehicle, so installed a braking system on the toad.

My advice would be to try it once and see whether your rig is comfortable with the extra weight, then adjust as needed.
Old 10-04-2020, 05:41 PM   #15
Dives2Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
We have used all 3 methods for towing cars behind out motor home.
Tow dolly can accommodate a FWD vehicle without question, but it is pretty much a PITA to strap it down if your car's wheels and wheel wells are tight, or if it's raining or your back doesn't like contorting while strapping each tire. You also want to stop after a couple of minutes of driving in order to snug the straps again. Used dollys are around $1200, and if you buy used, the only concern is the age of the tires, so check them.

Trailer is what you drive the car onto. It's easy On and easy Off, but depends on weight of trailer + car as compared to the towing limit of your MH. An aluminum trailer is lighter, but more expensive. You'll want brake lights and running lights but Harbor Freight, et al, have magnetic lights that plug into your MH easily and they are cheap. IF you exceed the towing weight limit and need brakes on the trailer, it's a matter of paying for it.

4-Down is ONLY for cars that are designed for it. ASK your service adviser at your dealership or ask the manufacturer of the towing bar before you spend any money, because most dealers will say NO because of liability concerns, and if you have a FWD, I don't know how the auto trans can keep running fluid without an external pump you activate, and that is big bucks.

We went from towing a Lexus on a dolly, then on a trailer, but as others have said, storing those appliances isn't always an option. The Lexus was FWD and could not be towed 4-down, so we got a BMW with a 5-speed Manual Transmission. Almost ALL manual transmission cars can be towed 4-down, so that's what we do now.

My '13 F-150 2X4 doesn't flat tow without a driveline disconnect or a transmission pump. We chose the driveline disconnect instead of the pump- more reliable
The cost was the same and the driveline diaconnect us more "verifiable"
Dives2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 06:59 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Hate to say it, but as transmissions get more complex, learning to drive a manual shift becomes less problematic for those that want 4-down on a budget.
Old 10-04-2020, 08:13 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

About the simplest 4 down is a stick Fiat 500. Light weight, cost effective. Have about 20,000 miles towing so far with no issues. Strongly a tire minder system also!
Woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:35 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCooper View Post
Hello all
My wife and I are first time rv buyers and we were wondering what is the best way for us to haul our front wheel drive vehicle behind our motor home? Four down our a two wheel dolly?
17 Answers in this thread and we still have no idea if the OP's car is Flat-Towable or not.

Bob... until you tell us the year, make, model and transmission of your car none of us can guess whether it is possible to tow it 4-down. If it is... great you have a choice. If it's not, then you don't actually have a choice.

It's not up to you - it's totally up to the manufacturer of your "front wheel drive" car. So, how about it? What car are you asking about.
Old 10-05-2020, 06:10 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Rule #1 read the owners manual. Rule #2 refer to rule #1. Sorry but the best way to find out if your car is flat towable is to "Read the owners manual". After 45+ years traveling in a motor home flat towing is the only way for me, Tracker, Sidekick, XL7, Silverado, and a Traverse to name a few. The Traverse was front wheel drive and we tried a tow dolly but I didn't like the way it fit so we flat towed that cross country by following the owners manual with out a problem. Good luck
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 09:15 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Agreed! Learning to drive a car with a manual transmission isn't as hard as most think.

The real problem isn't driving it; the real problem is finding light new cars that can be purchased with manual transmissions! Sure, you can get big SUVs and pickups that have stick shifts but some folks drive motorhomes that don't have that kind of tow capacity.
dacap06 is offline   Reply With Quote