Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-06-2020, 09:38 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCooper View Post
Hello all
My wife and I are first time rv buyers and we were wondering what is the best way for us to haul our front wheel drive vehicle behind our motor home? Four down our a two wheel dolly?
All other tips would be greatly appreciated for us first time owners.
Thanks in advance.
Bob Cooper
Bob, what kind of car to you have, what engine, and what transmission? As others have said, not all (and if newish, not many) vehicles are flat towable. Ask your dealer and check your owner's manual to find whether yours is.

Also, you need to ensure your rig can tow something as heavy as your vehicle. The Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating (GCVWR) on your RV weights and measures tag will tell you the GCVWR. Also, find your hitch rating -- if it isn't on that tag, look in your RV owner's manual. Your towed vehicle must weigh less than the hitch rating and the sum of your RV weight and the towed vehicle weight must be less than the GCVWR.

You'll want to weigh your RV when typically loaded on truck scales -- it's the simplest and most accurate way to find your RV weight. Also, you can check that weight against the GVWR on that same tag to ensure you haven't overloaded your RV.

New or used, refer to Motorhome Magazine's Dinghy Towing guides to guide you if you decide to purchase a vehicle that is flat towable. The guides for at least the last 10 years' models are downloadable for free here. The guides are missing a few vehicles that are towable because the editors are conservative and only include cars the manufacturers said could be flat towed. A case in point is older Honda CR-Vs (before Honda started using continuously variable transmissions to improve mileage).

To my knowledge, no vehicle with a CVT can be flat towed. Does anyone know an exception?
dacap06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 09:56 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJr View Post
Rule #1 read the owners manual. Rule #2 refer to rule #1. Sorry but the best way to find out if your car is flat towable is to "Read the owners manual". After 45+ years traveling in a motor home flat towing is the only way for me, Tracker, Sidekick, XL7, Silverado, and a Traverse to name a few. The Traverse was front wheel drive and we tried a tow dolly but I didn't like the way it fit so we flat towed that cross country by following the owners manual with out a problem. Good luck
Not to argue the point, but owners' manuals may not say the same thing as tow-bar companies say, if only because the manufacturer hasn't done the testing. I would take the advice of tow-bar manufacturers over that of the car's manufacturer or dealer.
Old 10-06-2020, 10:50 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Not to argue the point, but owners' manuals may not say the same thing as tow-bar companies say, if only because the manufacturer hasn't done the testing. I would take the advice of tow-bar manufacturers over that of the car's manufacturer or dealer.
This is the case with my 2011 Honda Odyssey, but you need to be careful. There's a critical pre-tow procedure involving starting, running thorough some gear changes in a very specific order, etc. It also uses battery power while towing and, if the battery runs down, transmission damage can occur.

I would never tow a car against the manufacturer's recommendation if it's still under warranty.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 05:43 AM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Jeep wrangler put the transfer case in neutral the transmission in park pull the keys and lock the doors. Also need a toe brake system. I seen someone saying possibly not. In PA anything toed over 3000 lbs requires brakes and do you really want to panic stop that extra weight? I have talked to people who learned the lesson the hard way to.
68SILVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 05:39 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCooper View Post
Hello all
My wife and I are first time rv buyers and we were wondering what is the best way for us to haul our front wheel drive vehicle behind our motor home? Four down our a two wheel dolly?
All other tips would be greatly appreciated for us first time owners.
Thanks in advance.
Bob Cooper
Bob, you are correct and not. Toyota automatic transmission cars can't be towed 4 down. After 2014, Honda CR-V can't be towed 4 down. Some, but not all, standard transmission cars can be towed 4 down.
My CR-V has tagged behind my coach since 2014 or 6 years now. I full time and travel a lot. The car seems not to be having issues.
What does your drivers manual say about towing? If there are towing instructions in it, follow them. Or, start a thread asking if your make, model and year is being towed by any RVers.

As far as a tow dolly is concerned, I spent from 2005 to 2014 with one for my Scion xA. I'll NEVER subject myself to that kind of physical and mental abuse again!
I installed my tow equipment myself for my CR-V and coach. It was a bit tricky getting the front body works off the car for mounting the base plate. Once access was gained all went well. The coach was not too hard either.
Happy trails,
Rick Y