Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-03-2009, 02:53 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I will be replacing both windshields on our 03 Journey due to running cracks. I have previously had to repair rust/leak at the top of the passenger side w/s. Any problems/issues I should be prepared for or make the glass people aware of ? We are in Fla near Jax. going to Orlando/Tampa area, thanks B
rebrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 02:53 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I will be replacing both windshields on our 03 Journey due to running cracks. I have previously had to repair rust/leak at the top of the passenger side w/s. Any problems/issues I should be prepared for or make the glass people aware of ? We are in Fla near Jax. going to Orlando/Tampa area, thanks B
Old 01-03-2009, 12:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

They probably will have some rust removal/metal priming to do around the leak area (and maybe some other areas) before gluing the new glass into place.

When I had a leak at the top on the passenger side, it was pretty obvious that the water was NOT coming past the windshield rubber, but was most likely coming down the inside of the front cap from a clearance lamp. I now include checking/resealing the clearance lamps on my "at least once a year" maintenance schedule.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the reply, I had a leak that was definitely between the frame and glass with a 6-8" rust area that had loosened the trim strip. It took a lot of work to remove the strip that holds the outer rubber molding at the top of w/s, clean and paint the frame, caulk the gap behind the w/s so water would not be trapped there, then reinstall the strip and molding. In the process I put a small 2" crack at the edge of each side of the w/shield. These have now run 12-18" and are why I need replacements. Thanks again, B
Old 01-04-2009, 04:34 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

We have had both sides replaced. The 1st one the frame was rusted and had to be sanded and repainted with a special paint that epoxy would adhere to. The second one was a straight forward job with no problems. Duncan glass, D and K out of Clearwater FL. did the uncomplicated one while we were in Haines City FL under insurance.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:45 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Old 01-04-2009, 04:58 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">leak that was definitely between the frame and glass with a 6-8" rust area </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's a pretty decent description of mine althoguh my rust area was closed to 4", but the question is where did the water come from before it got to the metal frame and rusted it enough that it could go past the glass. The way mine is set up, it would not be likely that water would get past the rubber mounding to that point.

Since mine was repaired, I've had a couple of places where the moulding was pulling loose due to the track it goes into being attached with double sided tape (what a dumb arrangement!!!). I had to glue it in place, and then I sealed the rubber edges to help keep it in place and weather tight.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:15 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

When our windshield was replaced on our 2004 Journey 36G I made some photos of the replacement work as it was performed which can be found in my previous post HERE

The installer grinded off the rust and painted the steel with paint that would not interfere with the window sealer. And then later I went back and lifted back the rubber seal and added silicone to provide additional protection. SteveG

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:56 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I suspect I may get to this point soon. No cracks but I am seeing what appears to be a rusty stain on the dash near the lower part of the windshield. I am thinking it is from water seeping behind the glass at a point where the frame is rusting. I replaced my rubber trim last fall and put a bead of silicone along the top of the windshield on the outside.

Is this something that a good auto glass shop can do or are you guys using an RV repair shop for this work?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:02 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Is this something that a good auto glass shop can do or are you guys using an RV repair shop </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I took mine to a large Winnebago dealer. Their body shop did the repair work on the metal frame, but they called in a local glass shop to do the glass work -- both the removal and the installation of the new glass.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:36 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

In mid Florida we have a dedicated business that RV Glass subcontracts glass repair. The company is D & K enterprises located in Clearwater 727-442-2767. I know he works Florida's east coast to west coast but I am not sure how far north and south he is willing to go. He's the guy handling the tool in my photos of the glass replacement. I think he did a good job and has years of experience. SteveG

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:16 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the info and pics from SteveG. We'll be in Haines City visiting family and contact the glass people then for the replacement. B
Old 01-10-2009, 07:12 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The company is D & K enterprises located in Clearwater 727-442-2767. I know he works Florida's east coast to west coast but I am not sure how far north and south he is willing to go. He's the guy handling the tool in my photos of the glass replacement. I think he did a good job and has years of experience. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

D&K has replaced a windshield on my coach, so I know they go as far as the Daytona area. They plan out their routes, so it may take a week or so before they get to you. I agree that they seem to do a good job.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:33 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2003 Suncruiser with a 18" crack down from the top on my windshield, and have water leak inside when it rains in Southern California. Any recommendations on a good place to get it repaired in the Riverside, California area.

2003 Suncruiser 35U
whyoder is offline   Reply With Quote