Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2009, 04:56 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Journey Taillights

ON my 2007 Journey 36SG, I have the Weldon 2010 Tail lights. they are those large 7"X8", been looking all over to replace them with LED lights. Checked with the factory, nothing and also checked with Bargman and Peterson. does anyone know where I can get LED lights that will replace what I have.

Thanks

bob
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:38 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I replaced my Journey tailights with some great LED's. They are round and fit the existing cut outs nicely. I actually borrowed the idea from JoeK who had the same rig at the time. I did have to put some polished SS plates behind the new lights to give them a finished look.

I got the lights from a company that supplies lighting for the transportation industry....buses/trains. However, I don't have any of that paperwork now and I cannot remember the name for the life of me.

I will post a few pics when I get a chance. You might want to PM JoeK. He will surely know the source.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:54 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

If you can change the bulbs, go super bright led site. Take a look and see if they have what you need.
Randy Chesnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:39 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Here is the manufacturer of the LED lights I have. A.L. Lighttech. I got my lights from a heavy truck parts supplier in Ardmore, PA but I now remember that he only had a few at that time (3 years ago). Perhaps Lighttech can identify a dealer in your area. They are very nice, very bright lights. When illuminated, it is difficult to see the individual LED's...the light is diffused so well by the lens and the large number of LEDs.

http://www.allightech.com/7INCH%20RND.htm
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, smlranger. I've been contemplating doing something similar. I've found a couple other manufacturers that make similar configurations in the same size LED unit (7" round with four screw holes ...it must be a standard offset).

What I'm wondering is what is behind the stock lamp assemblies? Is it just a matter of taking off the old assembly and screwing the new LED unit into place (aside from the plate to cover the gap around the edges)? Is it "plug-and-go" or is there some wiring modifications? No diodes or other electrical converters involved?

I'd really like to do this. Any other information would be appreciated.

Thanks.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:47 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
Thanks, smlranger. I've been contemplating doing something similar. I've found a couple other manufacturers that make similar configurations in the same size LED unit (7" round with four screw holes ...it must be a standard offset).

What I'm wondering is what is behind the stock lamp assemblies? Is it just a matter of taking off the old assembly and screwing the new LED unit into place (aside from the plate to cover the gap around the edges)? Is it "plug-and-go" or is there some wiring modifications? No diodes or other electrical converters involved?

I'd really like to do this. Any other information would be appreciated.

Thanks.
On my 02, it was a matter of removing 4 screws in the OEM lights to remove them. There is nothing behind them but fiberglass and a single hole in the center thru which the wires pass. I used the new lights as a template to drill holes in the polished stainless plates so the screws attaching the new lights also pass thru the plates. The OEM lights were wired with crimp connectors which I cut off and crimped the new lights. It was a snap.

These particular lights look better (IMO) than most of the LED lights I see on city buses, etc. There are many small LED's in these A.L. Lightech lights and the plastic lens diffuses the output so well, you do not see the individual LED's. They are very bright and look pretty cool . Full credit to Joe-K for putting me on to these great lights.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:35 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks again, smlranger ...and thanks to JoeK too. I haven't seen Joe around this forum lately.

Yes, I see what you mean. The A.L.Lightech appear to be far superior to the others that I've been looking at because the A.L.Lightech ones have 55 individual LEDs compared to the other ones I've looked at that have either 31 or 18 LEDs per unit.

What is the best way to configure the plate? I've been thinking I'd take it to a body shop to have them fabricate a plate and then paint it to match the body color. Did you fabricate your own plate? Did you paint it?

edit: oh, I see that Joe no longer has a Winnebago but is still active here on iRV2. Hooray.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:17 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

As Gary stated, the Lighttech lights are great. Much better than the typical LED lights that you can see the individual LED's in. If I recall correctly, the Lighttech lights actually shine into individual parabolic reflectors which widen the light pattern rather than providing a point source like a typical LED.

Behind the existing Weldon tailights you'll find plain fiberglass. By cutting a piece of highly polished stainless in the shape of the OEM lights, you can mount the 7" round LED lights in the cutout and it looks great.

I attached a picture of the OEM light removed as well as a picture of the Lighttech lights so you could get a feel for what they look like. Once the round light is installed on the polished stainless, it looks good. I was also told that the lights were much more noticable then the OEM style.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Base removed resized.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	155   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-018S.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	156  

Old 03-20-2009, 02:03 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

i like it

i will have to do some experimenting this weekend

thanks for the ideas
Old 03-20-2009, 02:39 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Oh! Thanks, Joe, for the pics. I wasn't imagining that's what it would look like behind the tail lamps. I pictured a large hole that would make a plate necessary in order to cover up part of the opening.

However, it appears that the SS plate is for cosmetic purposes only, correct? In other words, one could just screw in the LED unit and have it look "ok" but look much better with a polished SS plate behind the LED unit.

That is actually great news because I thought I'd have to go out and get the plate fabricated before I undertake this changeover but it appears that it won't be necessary to have the plate made initially because it would look acceptable without the plate. I could do the plate later at my convenience, correct?

Again, thank you very much for the photo. That helped greatly.

Much appreciated, Joe and Gary.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:42 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

i just called the local distributor, they can order the lighst for about $45 a piece.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:05 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Oh, excellent, majfrizz. I've been searching on the internet for an online vendor but have been having some difficulty. I found two and one guy that's selling what appears to be just one unit each of the amber and red unit. One vendor wanted $149 apiece!!

Would you be willing to share where you will be ordering these? You can PM me if you wish.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:34 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post

However, it appears that the SS plate is for cosmetic purposes only, correct? In other words, one could just screw in the LED unit and have it look "ok" but look much better with a polished SS plate behind the LED unit.

That is actually great news because I thought I'd have to go out and get the plate fabricated before I undertake this changeover but it appears that it won't be necessary to have the plate made initially because it would look acceptable without the plate. I could do the plate later at my convenience, correct?
You could install the LED lights without the backing plate if you wish to try it that way, but just keep in mind that if you decide to add the plate later, you'd either have to cut the wires in order to pass them through a hole in the new plate, or put a slot in the backing plate.

You might be able to find a thin piece of stainless at the local home improvement store that might be thin enough to cut with tin snips. I bought a piece of polished stainless from iowa80.com and cut the plates out with a pair of power shears. Admittedly, the stuff I bought was pretty thick and hard to cut.

One quick bit of advice....when you cut the wiring off the old lights since it's crimped on, make sure you don't let it slip back through the hole in the rear cap. It's a little tricky getting it fished back though the hole. I know because I had to do it
Old 03-21-2009, 09:01 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Scirocco22,

i sent you the PM with the info

good luck
Old 03-22-2009, 07:45 AM   #15
RLS
Winnebago Owner

majfrizz, Could you also send me the information? Thank you.
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:30 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I just noticed that Weldon makes a similar assembly that appears similar to the AGLightech one but when I went to search for a price on it on the web, it was quite a bit more money. So the ALLightech ones seem like a good value.

I thought of emailing Weldon to see if they could make (or have suggestions) for retrofitting an exact replacement unit for our stock lamps but after thinking about it, even if they'd be willing to make such a product, I'm sure it would be expensive.

If there are enough of us that want to do the LED changeover, perhaps we can choose a person that is good at fabricating the polished stainless plate, to make a bunch of them and sell them to the rest of us?

Let's keep this thread going for I'd really like to do this at some point.

Thanks.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:22 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

i did contact Weldon, and they have nothing that large and nothing on the drawing board at this time.

Just contact Allightech at their 800 number on the web site, they will give you a local disributor.

I am tempted to try it with out the SS plate and see how it would look before I hook it up, because I am sure i woudl spend more on the plates then the lights....
Old 03-22-2009, 07:19 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by majfrizz View Post
i did contact Weldon, and they have nothing that large and nothing on the drawing board at this time.

Just contact Allightech at their 800 number on the web site, they will give you a local disributor.

I am tempted to try it with out the SS plate and see how it would look before I hook it up, because I am sure i woudl spend more on the plates then the lights....
FYI, I liked the look of Joe-K's lights with the stainless plates so much I decided to go that route. The polished stainless plates in the shape of the OEM Weldon lights really set off the LED's. I paid a local sheet metal shop $100 to make the plates and drill all the holes for me. If someone has the proper cutting tools, I am sure you save $$.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:12 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

has anyone did the amber lights or just the red tail lights. i figured if i am going to do it, might as well go all the way

there goes my allowance for the year

thoughts
Old 03-23-2009, 08:03 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by majfrizz View Post
has anyone did the amber lights or just the red tail lights. i figured if i am going to do it, might as well go all the way

there goes my allowance for the year

thoughts
I replaced both the red and amber lights.