Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2021, 04:00 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

I've used Costco's Interstate batteries for years. In general, the footprint isn't usually the limiting factor, it's their greater height that can be a problem. That's where the Flo-Rite battery watering kit can help. I wouldn't think that you'd have a problem with a Journey.

The general consensus seems to be that Trojan batteries are better, but I've never had any problems.

If they don't fit, there are 12V deep cycle batteries available, but they're more expensive. I bought two of AGMs for a van I'm converting to a minimal overnight camper since they'd be installed inside:

https://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Max-Ba...tronics&sr=1-1

If I had it to do over I think I might have bought one of the $399 LiFePO4 batteries for slightly fewer usable amp hours and a longer life.

Sorry for mistake about parallel vs series. I'm glad David corrected me.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 01:09 AM   #22

I bought 4-6V-GC2 Golf Cart batteries from Costco for $95 each in Montana (no tax) and one year later I have NOT added any water.

Hopefully, now my house batteries will last 4+ years vs. the 1-2 years I was getting BEFORE I added the 17A Victron Bluetooth Charger/Maintainer.

So, in my case, what I am suggesting is that my 2004 Dimensions Inverter-Charger was fast charging my batteries and for whatever reason I was adding water all the time. Now I'm not adding water, which is a good sign if you ask me.

We shall see how long my Golf Cart's last, but I really think the slower you charge your batteries the better, and maybe Victron's charging algorithms are better than the old style chargers? Plus the Victron will function as a battery maintainer when you put your RV in storage.

...And I can still use my Dimensions Charger when I'm on generator power for a fast charge of 80-100A.

Note: My house battery upper tray is not tall enough for most LiFeO4 batteries to fit on the upper tray. So before your buy LiFeO4 batteries, be sure to check all your dimensions.

Note 2: There is more height (room) on the bottom battery rack, where my engine batteries now sit, but I don't think I can swap the engine battery out and put the house battery bank in its place, because the engine battery cables will not reach the top battery rack if I relocate the engine batteries to the upper tray. IDK. ...So has anyone tried this?

Specifically, how have you DP owners utilized your current battery tray when you replace your FLA house batteries with LiFeo4 batteries on the upper tray?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Battery Storage Next To Water Heater.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	333.4 KB
ID:	180436   Click image for larger version

Name:	BSC IP167 Victron Charger 1.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	180438  

Name:	Victtron 17A #IP67.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	238.3 KB
ID:	180439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Tray - Journey.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	180440  

Name:	1 Four-6V Batteries.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	391.4 KB
ID:	180441  
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 06:52 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

The 4 six volt costco batteries will fit in your36G current tray without modification but they are slightly taller but will clear.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:25 AM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
Wow, I think I have finally caught Bob C. In his statement " You'll need two, connected in parallel (+ to +, - to -)." he really means connect the two 6V golf cart batteries in series with a short jumper, - to + between the two batteries. You need two connected in series to make 12V.

I know it doesn't make up for all of my misstatements he corrected but it does make me feel a little better .

Just goes to show you that there is lots and lots of similarities between boats and RVs when it comes to their systems. I have been cruising boating for many years until I bought my MH, so my perspective comes from that experience. Many long term cruisers use 6V golf cart batteries; very, very few use lithiums.

David
jonnshell30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:36 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

You guys are awesome! Knowing that I can install the Renogy system kit without having to do a lot of additional updates or installs. I am definitely going to change out the batteries once they fail ( I just installed the three in February) I am sure I will revisit this post as I begin the install this winter. Specifically to Neub, I'd love to talk offline to get particulars on how your process and experience related to mounting and routing of components.
Thanks aagain!
Old 08-04-2021, 11:19 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

Good luck!
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 12:46 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnshell30 View Post
I like the 6v thought, but am going to attempt to keep it all in the same battery tray footprint I have now.
Four 6 volt golf cart batteries will fit in the current tray on your 36G. They are a little taller but do clear.
neub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 12:55 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Dont think I saved any photos but will check and if needed take a couple of new ones soecifically relating to wire routing and info on panel mounting along what i would have done differently if i did it again. Give me a couple days. Randy
Old 08-04-2021, 02:25 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by neub View Post
Dont think I saved any photos but will check and if needed take a couple of new ones soecifically relating to wire routing and info on panel mounting along what i would have done differently if i did it again. Give me a couple days. Randy
That would be awesome! Thanks so much Randy
Jon

Tags
journey, solar