Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2011, 07:51 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Journey sky light - leak/condensation?

Well, like on every trip, we always find something. DW noticed some staining of the ceiling fabric near the shower skylight. I took a closer look and can see some evidence of water stains on the outside of the inner liner.

Went up on roof and outer cover is absolutely intact. Dicor seal appears sound....I just cannot detect any compromise of the outer cover or seal. So, I removed the inner liner and it is clear that water is accumulating in a rear corner and has caused some delamination of the roof material and water intrusion in the ceiling. The outer liner was wet in that location so I'm thinking it must be condensation and not water coming from the outside.

Anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you deal with it? I'm thinking of removing the outer shell and covering the opening with foam, plywood and fiberglass (we are not crazy about the skylight anyway).
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:48 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Well, like on every trip, we always find something. DW noticed some staining of the ceiling fabric near the shower skylight. I took a closer look and can see some evidence of water stains on the outside of the inner liner.

Went up on roof and outer cover is absolutely intact. Dicor seal appears sound....I just cannot detect any compromise of the outer cover or seal. So, I removed the inner liner and it is clear that water is accumulating in a rear corner and has caused some delamination of the roof material and water intrusion in the ceiling. The outer liner was wet in that location so I'm thinking it must be condensation and not water coming from the outside.

Anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you deal with it? I'm thinking of removing the outer shell and covering the opening with foam, plywood and fiberglass (we are not crazy about the skylight anyway).
This could be your best bet. I had a friend with the same problem but he didn't catch it soon enough. Resulted in black mold. Had to replace entire roof, inside and out to protect his investment. Don't procrastinate! It won't get better by itself. Good luck.
Indian Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I have the same little stained spot on the ceiling just where the shower glass frame meets the outside wall. Stain has not grown any since we bought the mh. If you find anything to remove the stail please let me know.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:18 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We had a bad leak toward the front corner of the shower, along the outside wall, on our 2002 DL Journey 36 LD. It was resealed by the dealer once but that didn't work for very long. The skylight was not cracked but I don't believe it was not installed properly. Instead of removing it and resealing it I taped it with 6" Eternabond tape. It seemed to take care of the leak but we sold the coach shortly there after. Good luck with your fix and keep us posted. John
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:51 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Don't let it go . . . I would have it checked out. The leak could be coming from somewhere else and the skylight could be the low point at which it accumulates. We have learned through much heartache and lots of $$$ that water accumlation leads to delam and black mold and the dreaded dry rot.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:36 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

smlranger,
we had a similar problem. It occurred after a long rainy season during which we did not use the RV or heat the interior. Because of this, I do not believe that condensation was an issue. It was a small brown spot at the ceiling locasted at the forward outside corner. When I noticed it the spot was still damp. I thought it was a roof leak at the skylight. The sealant used on the roof to seal the skylight looked like it had no cracks. But I noticed that the edge of the sealant could be easily pulled back from the edge of the skylight and no longer mainatined a waterproof seal. I used a razor knife to cut away as much loose sealant as I could find and was surprised at how much there was. I used an exterior sealant to reseal the skylight. Since then there has been no leak.
hope this helps,
jim & debbie, 04 journey 34H
jimmccreary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:12 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmccreary View Post
smlranger,
we had a similar problem. It occurred after a long rainy season during which we did not use the RV or heat the interior. Because of this, I do not believe that condensation was an issue. It was a small brown spot at the ceiling locasted at the forward outside corner. When I noticed it the spot was still damp. I thought it was a roof leak at the skylight. The sealant used on the roof to seal the skylight looked like it had no cracks. But I noticed that the edge of the sealant could be easily pulled back from the edge of the skylight and no longer mainatined a waterproof seal. I used a razor knife to cut away as much loose sealant as I could find and was surprised at how much there was. I used an exterior sealant to reseal the skylight. Since then there has been no leak.
hope this helps,
jim & debbie, 04 journey 34H
............This is so important what Jim has said, that's why I highlighted in RED. Check the sealant real close, if loose, cut it away and re-seal. Good luck and travel safe.
David G.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:09 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Thanks for all the replies. After I removed the inner liner, I watched closely during a rain storm and there is definitely a leak at the rear outside corner or along that side regardless of how good everything looks up on the roof.

I've decided to R&R the outer panel. My coach is nearly 10 yrs old so I figure the skylight is near the end of its life anyway. New outer panel is $182.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:21 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Journey sky light - leak/condensation?

We have a 2008 Sightseer and are also having problems with the sky light leaking. In the fall had to cut away all the caulk and replace. Now 8 month later I notice water in the shower again. It appears that the caulk is not adhering properly to the fiberglass roof or the brackets that hold the corners of the skylight down. I'm searching now for a permanent solution. Local dealer says to use silicone house caulk, while some one else says to use marine grade caulk. Any suggestions are welcome.
sightseers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:19 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sightseers View Post
We have a 2008 Sightseer and are also having problems with the sky light leaking. In the fall had to cut away all the caulk and replace. Now 8 month later I notice water in the shower again. It appears that the caulk is not adhering properly to the fiberglass roof or the brackets that hold the corners of the skylight down. I'm searching now for a permanent solution. Local dealer says to use silicone house caulk, while some one else says to use marine grade caulk. Any suggestions are welcome.
eternabond tape is permanent.

Roof Leak Repair Products & Sealing Tape | EternaBond
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:22 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Thanks for all the replies. After I removed the inner liner, I watched closely during a rain storm and there is definitely a leak at the rear outside corner or along that side regardless of how good everything looks up on the roof.

I've decided to R&R the outer panel. My coach is nearly 10 yrs old so I figure the skylight is near the end of its life anyway. New outer panel is $182.
That sounds like the right road to take. Good luck with it!
Indian Creek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey