Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2007, 03:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

We have an 04 Journey that has a Kwikee single step at entrance and would like to put a double step at entrance. Has anyone done this before? Some of the places we go to the step is so high when the motorhome is level it is very hard to step up into motorhome. Any help would be great. Thanks Richard & Susie
akasusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:31 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We have an 04 Journey that has a Kwikee single step at entrance and would like to put a double step at entrance. Has anyone done this before? Some of the places we go to the step is so high when the motorhome is level it is very hard to step up into motorhome. Any help would be great. Thanks Richard & Susie
Old 06-13-2007, 04:15 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Agree that the single step is an issue. Our solution was a very sturdy footstool with foldling/locking legs we got from CW. I will be curious to see if anyone has upgraded the single step to a two-stepper.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:26 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

My only concern would be those odd times when leveling requires leaving the passenger side as low as possible - would a double step hit the ground?

Like smlranger, we use a portable step from CW. It's a bit pricey, but it's on sale right now.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:35 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I have the same step from CW for when we need a 'boost'.

I also would be concerned that a 2-step on the Journey would be banging the ground some times.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:32 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

We have a 2001 Journey DL with a single step. There have been times when the single step almost hits the ground. Other times, it is too high. I had an old "step aerobics" step that adjusts to 3 height levels. It works great for us and since the legs come apart it is easy to stow in the storage bay.
Lindajimb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 02:31 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Anything is possible, If 1. you are willing to pay to have it done and 2. It is mechanically feasible.

The extra booster step is the simplest answer, my 35U has 2 steps and I don't know what the reasoning is for a single step. My Horizon only had one...Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:42 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
Vectra/Horizon's have had double steps for years. Near as I can tell the threshold and top step are the same as our single step. I wonder how these owners cope.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 02:48 PM   #9
gMw
Winnebago Owner

I made a "step" that's large enought to hold an entrance door mat, mat handly to wipe our shoes on
gMw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 05:23 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I have the same step on my Horizon. Upon looking at the Kwikee web site I found that there were no two steps that had the same bolt pattern as my one step. A call to Kwikee confirmed that. Therefore, I only have two options. Have new bolts installed that match the two step pattern or get a two step and drill new hole that match my bolts. Haven't gone any further at this time.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 05:46 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

We are at a WIT state rally at Columbia, MO and I just made a quick survey of the Winnebago DPs at the rally. I specifically noted the newer (full body paint) coaches. It seems that unless you get the top of the line (Horizon/Vectra) you get a single step. There is also one 03 UA and it has a single step. As you can imagine there are a lot of temp steps and other helpful items to use the single step. I believe that after spending the money for a temp step most people just don't want to bother with having the single step replaced.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 07:25 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that replyed to our question. Looks like we will be buying a double step from Kwikee, after talking to them and doing some homework as to size, height, fit we will be able to put a two step on our Journey. We will most likely have to drill new holes but that is not a problem for us. We are off for a couple weeks so it will have to wait until July. We will keep you posted as to how it goes. Thanks Richard & Susie